PDA

View Full Version : I freakin' told you guys.

SOE digital
07-23-2007, 02:22 AM
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

Check it out :rolleyes:
Whatta ya reckon?

donny h
07-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Whatta ya reckon?

It's probably true, I heard from locals that when they were in Moab, Utah, they stayed at an inn in town.

SOE digital
07-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Now we just have to wait for all the teenaged fan boys to burst in here making up excuses for Grylls.
;)

I wonder if he ever even made it up Everest ;)

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

Check it out :rolleyes:
Whatta ya reckon?

Cut the dude some slack, maybe "room service" sucked! ;>)

bear
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't care if he stayed in a hotel or not. What matters to me is what I am capable of doing in a survival situation. bear

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
It's like I always say, don't trust Television programs or Hollywood to be totally honest. Bear has a lot of charisma to draw viewers in. That's what Discovery Channel was banking on. Still enjoy watching his programs though. Wonder if that hotel had bugs and elephant dung on the room service menu. ;>)

man.vs.wild
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
yes he stayed in hotels but he still goes out in the wild and does all those things so come on hes a hollywood star of course he isnt gonna rough it that much

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
yes he stayed in hotels but he still goes out in the wild and does all those things so come on hes a hollywood star of course he isnt gonna rough it that much

Here's the point, dawg: He's been dishonest in his presentation. He's implied, if nothing else, that he's going through the exact same thing that others have gone through; of course they did without the hotels. It would have been more real if he actually went through the additional problems of boredom, loneliness, & the extra danger he would have faced had he stayed out there like the real people facing the survival situation did, and like Les Stroud does...and by the way, Les DOES have a 2nd season coming up; wonder if Mr. Grylls will get a third?

blewgrass
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Dang...He even told OPRAH that it was the real deal... I'm shattered. I see a major role for Grylls coming up on Snakes on a Plane 2!

The more you watch the show, the more staged it appears. I'm sure it's tough for Bear to sleep in the rain with a shrirt stuffed like a scarecrow when there is 10 grand worth of killer outdoor gear 100 feet away with the crew.

At least Stroud admits he throws in the rag and calls the safety team in...Man vs Wild is a bit too misleading at times... but the entertainment factor is there.

tarheelfan
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Im a pretty big fan of the show even though i've doubted for a very long time his show is as sincere as its being represented to be. Most of my questions deal with the camera crew...i mean, amazingly they follow him throughout the ordeal and are in the same enviroment he is in. If he is so FAR out in the country the crew would be stuck in the same area which leaves only two possibilities 1.) they pitch a cam crew tent filled with luxuries such as food,water,electronics,etc...if this is the choice it would be mighty tempting for bear or any sane human not to hop in the ole' tent 2.) they are on a predetermined scouted route that allows them access to shelter such as (hotels,inns,or a camp set up ahead of time) Im not bashing Bear b/c i believe he is one of the most intelligent, entertaining, and greatest survival experts out there...and even if he is keepin some secrets...dont we all? :)

Farakon
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I was recently telling a friend of mine about Bear Grylls and “Idiot vs Wild.”

My friend has a brother who lives in the Sierra’s who told him about “some guy with an accent” being filmed by a film crew flopping around in a ditch on the side of the road.

I thought it was possible that this was our boy. I forwarded the TimesOnline article to my friend who replied that the “The Pines Resort at Bass Lake” (the hotel mentioned in the article) is where his sister-in-law works.

Coincidence?

trax
07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
"It's been 7 minutes since I rang room service and still....nothing...perhaps I can set some deadfalls and catch a rodent or a roach here in the room. But hold on! There's a rather tasty dish heading for the elevator! She must weigh a few stone! I could skin her with me $700 knife and toast the tasty bits on the room's heater. There we go, starvation averted again. After that I'll jump off me balcony to show me viewers the correct procedure for crushing tiles with one's skull....So bloody hungry I'm beginning to hear a ringing in my ears. Oh never mind, it's only room service at the door, get that bloody camera out of the way so I can have dinner!"

trax
07-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Bear probably didn't deserve that, it was just too much fun to resist:D :D :D

zadig39
07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
You guys are missing the point. He drank water from an ELEPHANT TURD!! He PISSED IN HIS OWN CANTEEN!! Not to mention he eats bugs and worms on a regular basis. Thats entertainment of the highest order.

trax
07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
OK, I confess ....I've never seen his show, so now I'm a little confused. Did he drink water from the elephant turd because he'd already pissed in his own canteen?? Because yeah, that's right up there with Masterpiece Theatre and Shakespeare and whatever, ....

Farakon
07-23-2007, 06:04 PM
You guys are missing the point. He drank water from an ELEPHANT TURD!! He PISSED IN HIS OWN CANTEEN!! Not to mention he eats bugs and worms on a regular basis. Thats entertainment of the highest order.

Oh don't get me wrong. I watch the show. I like to see what kind of crazy move this guy is going to make next.

That and he goes to a lot of places I’d like to see myself. I would, however, somehow restrain myself from throwing myself over a waterfall or eating poo once I get there despite Bear’s advice to the contrary. :D

tarheelfan
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
True...no matter how fake or unreal the show may or may not be, Bear Grylls is entertaining

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 06:35 PM
"It's been 7 minutes since I rang room service and still....nothing...perhaps I can set some deadfalls and catch a rodent or a roach here in the room. But hold on! There's a rather tasty dish heading for the elevator! She must weigh a few stone! I could skin her with me $700 knife and toast the tasty bits on the room's heater. There we go, starvation averted again. After that I'll jump off me balcony to show me viewers the correct procedure for crushing tiles with one's skull....So bloody hungry I'm beginning to hear a ringing in my ears. Oh never mind, it's only room service at the door, get that bloody camera out of the way so I can have dinner!"

"Ahh yes, I'm finally out of the wilderness after 5 really rough hours...er...days eating bugs & snakes, drinking out of really large turds, and reshooting every scene over at least 3 times, and what's that in the distance? It appears to be a human habitation of some sort....Hmmm...Holiday Inn Express.....;>)

FVR
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Did he really? You know, the way I think of things, if he deceived about the hotels, did he really squeeze water from crap? or was it tv. Was it ENTERTAINMENT!

And thus answers my question why when we were in the jungle for weeks, we got rashs after the first day, he spends a week and no rash.

Hmmmmmm, can it be TV???

owl_girl
07-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Did he really? You know, the way I think of things, if he deceived about the hotels, did he really squeeze water from crap? or was it tv. Was it ENTERTAINMENT!

And thus answers my question why when we were in the jungle for weeks, we got rashs after the first day, he spends a week and no rash.

Hmmmmmm, can it be TV???
I’m certain some is TV but the thing you said about rashes doesn’t make sense. If you got rashes after the first day its because your immune system wasn’t well adapted, for example natives of the jungle aren’t covered in rashes. Not everyone’s allergic to the same thing, not everyone’s going to have the same reaction. I believe he went to the jungle if they showed him in the jungle mostly because that would be cheaper and easier to just go there then recreating it. I think its going a bit overboard to say the hole thing was filmed in a studio. I could see saying he wasn’t really lost and he slept in a hotel but not that he wasn’t really there at all. Besides being in the jungle isn’t that amazing, not amazing enough to doubt it and nether is eating bugs. I do think he’s a fake about some things but lets not get carried away.

FVR
07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Natives in the area ran around naked, unfortunately we were not allowed to do that. We had to wear bdu's.

We had adapted to the jungle as we were on the advanced party for that reason. If it was just one or two guys, I would agree with you. But then just wondering, have you ever been constantly wet, wading through jungle rivers, walking through tripple tree environments without any sunlight, 24 / 7?

We were told to expect the rashes from the Army Special Forces trainers and that to reduce them, wear no undergarments aka t shirts or drawers.

It was common to make leach stops, even though we tucked our trousers in the tops of the boots, the leaches got on us. It would be drop your drawers, light a cig. and start..................

Just when you thought you would finally get dry, okay just damp, it would rain, and rain, and rain, and rain.

After a week in the jungle, we looked like shriveled up prunes. The first thing you headed for was the shower, long, hot, burning shower. Then came the drying off period, gentle towel dry and get dressed. Then it was either noxema, powder, a variety of jelly's just to get your skin back. Then in a few day, back out in the jungle to do it all over again.

Did Bear do it on a set? I really don't think so. Does he give you a good representation of the environment? I think so. Does he give you the whole story? No.

We were in the same jungles and rivers that Joque Casto's son died in.

Here is a gent we ran into.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/81238.jpg

ps......I hate the jungle.

owl_girl
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Yah I’ve been wet 24/7 for a week. I don’t remember any rashes though I was a little pruny. But I was very adapted to being wet. Was bear in the same jungle as you? Not all jungles are that wet. Actually you can be in the same jungle and experience to deferent environments. In the Tongass rainforest, Juneau is not as wet as Ketchikan but they’re still in the same rainforest. Maybe Bear wasn’t telling the whole story, but I just don’t think the rash thing is very reliable evidence.

FVR
07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow, you were lucky. I guess the Bn of Marines and the Army Special Forces Jungle Warfare Instructors just did not know ****. They should have just called you, or Bear. LOL alot.

Visit this site, tells ya a little about jungle hygiene.

http://www.jungletimeadventures.com/jungleguide.shtml

owl_girl
07-23-2007, 10:51 PM
What jungle was bear in, and what part?

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 11:27 PM
What jungle was bear in, and what part?

the part where the holiday Inn was. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!!!!! ;>)

SOE digital
07-24-2007, 01:11 AM
True...no matter how fake or unreal the show may or may not be, Bear Grylls is entertaining

Exactly. The guy is a phony, but he's still good at making fun TV.
I just posted this article because I'm sick off all the n00bs here thinking the show is real. If anything it's dangerous.

owl_girl
07-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Wow, you were lucky. I guess the Bn of Marines and the Army Special Forces Jungle Warfare Instructors just did not know ****. They should have just called you, or Bear. LOL alot.

Visit this site, tells ya a little about jungle hygiene.

http://www.jungletimeadventures.com/jungleguide.shtml

The reason I don’t think the rash thing is very strong evidence is simply because not all jungles are that wet. I saw the Costa Rica episode and the sun was shining most of the time. Maybe that would explain for the lack of rash. I’m sure there’s some fake stuff and I’m sure he slept in hotels but if someone is going to say its 100% fake I want to see strong evidence. Not because I’m a fan, on the contrary I hardly ever watch the show, but I’ve seen people get riled up and take speculation way to far and way to seriously so forgive me for being cautious. Anyone making claims, even if there 100% right needs strong evidence in order for me to take it seriously.

FVR
07-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Owl Girl,

Just for the record, I don't and never have thought that what Bear does is fake. I do believe he does go into the environments that he shows, no doubt about that. I also believe he does the things he does, like squeezing water from crap.

You are right when you mention the sun, it's a great thing. It not only dries you out but it also boosts your moral.

It is a shame that now there is "doubt" concerning him. But then it makes for great thread fodder.

SOE digital
07-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I don't and never have thought that what Bear does is fake

That's because you're in denial and naive.

Sarge47
07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Owl Girl,

Just for the record, I don't and never have thought that what Bear does is fake. I do believe he does go into the environments that he shows, no doubt about that. I also believe he does the things he does, like squeezing water from crap.

You are right when you mention the sun, it's a great thing. It not only dries you out but it also boosts your moral.

It is a shame that now there is "doubt" concerning him. But then it makes for great thread fodder.

We have a problem here with Bear's credibility; not just at this site, but now it's made the national news. Bear has went on programs like Oprah and swore that everything was true on his show. Also at the beginning of each episode he strongly implies that he's "putting himself in the place" of the stranded person with very little to sustain him. Boredom, loneliness, & "constant" exposure to the elements are also factors that would be present. If Man Vs. Wild were to run a third season I would obviously have a front row seat. The question is, will all of his international fans watch the series? Or will they now avoid him now that the truth is out? Should prove interesting.

FVR
07-24-2007, 10:09 AM
SOE,

I am just so in denial. LOL You are preaching to the choir. Instead of cherry picking threads, read the whole post.

I really don't give a ****. LOL. You either have the "oh he is so real" crowd and then there is the "he is so fake crowd". I just watch his shows, laugh alot, and move on.

From the get go, I've always said he is entertainment and that is what it is. If you are going to take what he says and does to the wilderness, you gonna die.

But hey, it makes good conversation.

There is one thing you don't want to lose, your credability. It looks like he may be on his way. We'll see, inquiring minds want to know.

trax
07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I think Sarge nailed it! We can believe everythign the dude says and does because.....he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

bayoudad
07-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Come on people, the point of the show is what to do if you find yourself in certain situations. It's informative and fun. Thats all it should be.

rusty_oxydado
07-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Regardless what he did, in the end he did it, but I betcha, he didn't do it for free!
I am favored for not having cable!

trax
07-25-2007, 11:01 AM
"I am favored for not having cable" Amen to that sir, you and me both :)

NevadaCarry
07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I've had my doubts on certain things but I don't really care. I just try to take any tips I can here and there regardless if it is something he learned about the night before from a local or real survival expert. With the rest of the crap that is on TV nowadays, his show and Survivorman seem to be the only shows of its kind so I'll still watch both.

Sarge47
07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I've had my doubts on certain things but I don't really care. I just try to take any tips I can here and there regardless if it is something he learned about the night before from a local or real survival expert. With the rest of the crap that is on TV nowadays, his show and Survivorman seem to be the only shows of its kind so I'll still watch both.

You got that right, Nevada! However delete the info regarding drinking your own urine, or anything to do ingesting with animal bodily wastes. Most experts agree that the risk factor is waaaay too high to do that!

NevadaCarry
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM
You're telling me I have to throw out this fresh cup of urine? Damn it!

Yea, those tips I didn't think too much of.

trax
07-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Nevada Carry, you do what you want with that fresh cup, just dont bother inviting me down for drinks any time soon

wolf
07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
EVERY "TIP" BEAR HAS IS SOMTHING THAT IS WRONG OR MIGHT KILL YOU! He saw a water supply, but "knew" it was poison by the dead animals next to it. It must have been VERY poisonous if animals just drop dead after one sip.

NevadaCarry
07-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think you can say EVERY tip he has is wrong. This may be common knowledge but the first time I heard about pointing a watch horizontal with the hour hand pointing at the sun and a line between the hour hand and the number 12 points north-south.

Sarge47
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't think you can say EVERY tip he has is wrong. This may be common knowledge but the first time I heard about pointing a watch horizontal with the hour hand pointing at the sun and a line between the hour hand and the number 12 points north-south.

Remember, it depends on what hemisphere you're in. You can also do it with a digital watch by drawing the current time on a hand-drawn analouge face, either on a piece of paper, or in the dirt/sand. My only complaint here is that Bear should have mentioned that one right off & demonstrated how to do it using a digital watch.

Sarge47
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
EVERY "TIP" BEAR HAS IS SOMTHING THAT IS WRONG OR MIGHT KILL YOU! He saw a water supply, but "knew" it was poison by the dead animals next to it. It must have been VERY poisonous if animals just drop dead after one sip.

Didn't I see that very same thing on an old "Lone Ranger" episode once?

Chris
07-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I never understood the point of this tip. Watch the setting sun, real subtle like turn to your right, you got north. Or, if it is morning, do the opposite. If it is in the middle of the day stick a stick in the ground and mark the shadow, wait a few minutes and see which direction the shadow moved.

Why do you need a watch?

Anyways, yes, a lot of his "tips" are dangerous. He does so many things Survivorman (who is truly on his own) would never do as they are just plain stupid and could get yourself hurt. Bear has a crew with him, so he can do these stunts. For instance climbing down a waterfall. Or I remember one time he scaled a cliff when you could see behind him maybe a half mile to a mile up the ridgeline it turned into a gentle slope.

Sure, it makes for compelling TV, but its things like that that makes me think they need a disclaimer reminding people it is a dramatization, not real, and that Bear has help a real stranded person would not have.

trax
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Based on what Sarge and Chris have both said, it seems that Bear should have Tonto with him to keep him out of these scrapes, lol.

Chris, I absolutely agree on what you said about finding directions, I knew I didn't have to go out and buy a watch!!

NY MtnMan72
07-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Yah I’ve been wet 24/7 for a week.

:eek: :eek: O M G will u marry me? What? were talking about jungles? Ohhh boy now ive gone and embarrassed myself again ! :o

eddiec
07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I knew something was up when I found out he was being followed by a camera crew. What I want to know is, Why was this guy drinking pee and and elephant turd water, gulping down bugs and frogs and the like, all while his camera crew was cooking steaks on the grill, sipping on beers, and laughing at him the whole time!("Dude, I can't believe he ate that!HAHAHAHAHA!Quick! Tell him to suck the poop juice out of this elephant turd!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Aw, sick man!)Is he stupid? "Hi, I'm Bear, and welcome to Jackass!" That's what he should say before the beginning of each episode. Well, shucks. I guess there's still SURVIVORMAN...

owl_girl
07-26-2007, 09:21 PM
:eek: :eek: O M G will u marry me? What? were talking about jungles? Ohhh boy now ive gone and embarrassed myself again ! :o
Ok then… lol

Sarge47
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM

Careful Dawg, the little lady packs a big, mean machete! ;>)