PDA

View Full Version : trout lilly

wareagle69
05-11-2008, 09:53 AM
have acres of it growing so i thought i would try some..
well it cooked allot like spinach boiled for about 12 minutes greatly reduces so ya need allot then strained it and added butter and a bit of lemon juice, as jim carrey once said "i've had better" i wasn't jumping for joy at this meal but if ya had too i guess i would eat more maybe i need to exsperiment with my methods

nell67
05-11-2008, 10:10 AM
What about sprin beauties? have you tried them? I have alot of it here but have yet to try it,waiting for a good review of them before I do. I am picking wild asparagus right now.

wareagle69
05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
yeah i read somewhere else that someone eat spring beauties i've got lots of those i just had not found any reference to the in my library so waiting on some of our experts to let me know

RobertRogers
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Never ate a bowl of them at once, but as I go along I like to nibble one or two. Quite tasty

indiana joe
05-11-2008, 11:50 PM
spring beauties are sweet and yummy from what me and my daughter has nibble on now my oldest daughter hates them.but this is new to me
especially since i don't eat veggies.meat and potatoe man here.

bulrush
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have any references that these items don't cause cancer or other problems? Just because the indians ate them does not mean they are safe.

Rick
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
The only warning I can find for Trout Lilly is that it may be mildly emetic (can cause vomiting).

As for Spring Beauties, I can't find any warnings.

As with any other wild edibles, I would consider where it is growing with relation to pollution.

wareagle69
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
it's the taste that makes it emetic in my mind

Timbo1
05-31-2008, 07:05 AM
I tried Trout Lilly when I was out camping in the US and it made me feel really ill. Not sure if I was doing something wrong? I am from the UK. What do you expect...

Timbo1
http://owningyourownwood.blogspot.com/

wareagle69
05-31-2008, 08:53 AM
I tried Trout Lilly when I was out camping in the US and it made me feel really ill. Not sure if I was doing something wrong? I am from the UK. What do you expect...

Timbo1
http://owningyourownwood.blogspot.com/

how much did you eat? do you know the definition of emetic? not being smart arse serious inquiry

emetic-a substance that causes vomiting.

wareagle69
05-31-2008, 08:55 AM
opps forgot to add where did you pick the trout lilly sometimes you need to lok at the enviromental factors of pickin wild edibles lots of great and easy cattails on the side of the hiway but will not pick and eat them understand where i am going with this...