PDA

View Full Version : Watch Recommendations

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm looking to get a new watch for camping/hiking. I have a digital watch but want to get an analog, maybe something with a compass on it as well. Any recommendations?

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm looking to get a new watch for camping/hiking. I have a digital watch but want to get an analog, maybe something with a compass on it as well. Any recommendations?

Depends on how much you're wanting to spend. On the low money end both Timex and Casio make good watches. You can go up from there and easily spend well over a hundred dollars.

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Yea, I'm thinking somewhere between 50-100 at the most.

NY MtnMan72
07-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a casio G-shock.... but its ANALOG ! well it actually has both but the front display has the analog hands, with little round windows where the digital stuff (date, moon cylcle etc ) are displayed.

The model is G-601. Had it for two years- and its indestructible.

waterproof to 200 meters... stainless back case etc... its around $100 i believe when i bought it.

Worth every penny. HERE IS A LINK ------------> http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G601-1AV/

I have looked at all sorts of watches- some less $$, and some ALOT more $$- but i give Casio alot of credit for building such a TANK of a watch.

ART

NevadaCarry
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks, a friend was telling me about the G-shock watches. I was planning on getting the G-Zone cell phone next month and I think Casio makes that as well.

bladefrenzy
07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Try the Maratac aqc (made by timex) analog, compass and awesome for about $75. I can also highly recomend the Luminox Navy Seal line, I've had one for years and it's really taken a beating and survived. Steve

NevadaCarry
07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
That Maratac looks pretty nice. Analog with a compass is exactly what I was looking for and just about the right price. Thanks!

Sarge47
07-26-2007, 08:17 AM
That Maratac looks pretty nice. Analog with a compass is exactly what I was looking for and just about the right price. Thanks!

Wal-Mart has the new G-Shock by Casio for under $70 with the new "atomic time" feature.

trax
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
You guys are making me think I should start wearing a watch :)

wareagle69
07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
i don't carry a watch or a cell phone which really seems to bother people that i know, funny how far we have come in ten years, i just recently gave into the computer, primarily because i can research topics that chapters or my library would never have..

Strider
07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't really care for all the brand names, but for camping and hiking all I would get is a belt loop watch, waterproof. They come (usually) with a small compass in the handle, and some have more features.

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Yep! I've worn G-Shocks for 15 years now, and never had one die on me, and only had to replace the battery in one of them. In fifteen years I've owned three, and only because I lost two of them.

The bands do wear out after awhile, but are easily replacable.

I've also been down to 160' underwater with one and it never even misted on the inside.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-24-2007, 06:29 AM
watch of choice is the swiss army brand in a pinch can show direction also

MCBushbaby
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
My choice would be an old analog pocketwatch or wristwatch that can be wound.
1) more water resistant if there are no electronic components
2) never lose power if it's not powered by a battery
3) if it breaks, it's all mechanical and with some dexterity you can fix almost anything

HOP
10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Yep mechanical or self winding there are some that are solar as well. I like watches and have several and they were very useful in the military and corrections as well but to be honest I don't see a great need for one for bushcraft.

scabbyota
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I also recommend the luminox navy seal watch.I've had mine for 7 years with no problems.I've also heard good things about the G-shock just haven't tried one yet.

Beo
11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Really good quetion so I brought it back up.
To save money use a stick and the sun :D at night who cares.

trax
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
at night the big dipper moves perfectly counterclockwise around the pole star, so just learn to read time backwards (takes practice!) Of course, cloudy days and nights...oh well....

I usually just use my body to tell time, if I'm tired it's time to sleep if I'm hungry it's time to eat.

Beo
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Hungry a** wolf :D

Rick
11-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm with HOP. Mechanical or self winding. Less problems to worry about. A watch is light weight and portable and its quick and easy to use as a compass. Just one more fail safe. I have an old GI Issue mechanical made by Timex that still chugs along. It's a shame they stopped making those things but you can by still buy similar:

http://www.schooluniforms.com/4228.html

U.S.Marine2111
11-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I have a few G-Shocks, I love them. They are one of only two style watches that I haven't destroyed. The other being an old LL Bean watch, about 15 years old, back when they still came with a screw down crown, I broke the glass once, but I was using it like a dumbass.

Nativedude
11-25-2007, 01:23 AM
My choice would be an old analog pocketwatch or wristwatch that can be wound.
1) more water resistant if there are no electronic components
2) never lose power if it's not powered by a battery
3) if it breaks, it's all mechanical and with some dexterity you can fix almost anything

Exactly! Mechanical is much better IMHO. No battery, just wind and go. ;)

Beo
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't wear a watch because I don't care about the time and all you clowns are wearing one anyway so I'll just ask if I should find myself caring what time it is.

Sourdough
02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I have a few G-Shocks, I love them. They are one of only two style watches that I haven't destroyed. The other being an old LL Bean watch, about 15 years old, back when they still came with a screw down crown, I broke the glass once, but I was using it like a dumbass.

LL Bean backs those 100%. I have two of those and they even replace the batterys for free. I have them for back up. I wear a Rolex Explorer II give to me my a happy hunter, a very happy hunter.

Sam
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Was she cute? ;)

Sourdough
02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Was a He, and I don't remember what his name was, or what he looked like. Odd how I just have a vague memory of the hunters, but I remember the hunts, (what happened). Never wanted to guide women one on one, but guided several Husband and wife parties.

crashdive123
02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Seiko Automatic Dive Watch. Bought mine over 30 years ago. No batteries, no winding, can withstand everything I've put it through.

zervosc
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Have you ever heard of SUUDO XM9/i? It is an incredible piece of technology: It's features:

Altimeter

Current altitude
Resolution 1 m / 3 ft
Vertical speed
Display range -500 m to 9000 m / -1500 ft to 29500 ft
Total ascent /descent and higest/lowest altitude, in recorded logs
Altitude alarm function

Barometer

Display range 300 to 1100 hPa / 8.90 to 32.40 inHg
Graphical display of pressure trends for last 6 hours
Stores barometric pressure data for last 7 days / 168 hours
Absolute barometric pressure at the current location
Barometric pressure at sea level
Resolution 1hPa / 0.05 inHg

Thermometer

Display range -20°C to +60°C/-5°F to +140°F
Stores temp data for last 7 days / 168 hours
Resolution 1°C / 1°F

Compass

Bearing lock mode (toward a set bearing or a GPS waypoint)
Tilt Compensated
Simultaneous bearing tracking, altitude or time display with bearing / compass rose
Bearing display in degrees and cardinal points
Resolution 1°

GPS / Navigation Mode

Resolution 1 m / 3 ft
12 channels
Integrated loop antenna
Programable alarm points
Distance from current location to final waypoint
Estimated travel time to next waypoint based on current speed
Estimated travel time to destination based on current speed
Estimated arrival time at final waypoint in route based on current speed
Altitude difference between current location and next waypoint
Total amount of ascent from the current location to the final waypoint
Current speed
Heading in degrees
Deviation from course (left/right)
Track Back function activates navigation along recorded track back to starting location

Memory

50 routes (each route can include up to 50 points)
500 waypoints
25 log files
25 tracks (8000 track points)

Rick
02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-X9Mi.pro

Is that it? $500.00 for a watch?:eek: For that price it should come out in the woods and fix dinner for me. :rolleyes:

Beo
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for a watch! I'll keep my sundial ring :D

Rick
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey! I have one of those, too. Pretty cool ain't they?

Beo
02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Love it bro,

Gray Wolf
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't!!! Every time I put the stick through my wrist it hurts and bleeds a lot....

Rick
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
(head slap) Doh!

Assassin Pilot
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
If the sundial was on a compass, it would be the ultimate daytime - outdoors watch. That way it would point north automatically.

Rick
02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Actually, it would tell time no matter which direction you were heading.:rolleyes:

marberry
02-23-2008, 04:40 PM
iv always wanted a navy seal dive watch (i currently wear a movado , museum imagine seeing someone out in the bush with that lol) anyone know where i can get one (preferably in winnipeg)

crashdive123
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
The Navy Seals that I've met wore a wide variety of watches. Seiko, Casio, Rolex ....

Rick
02-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Crash - Those guys were selling them. That's why they had six on each arm. Geeese.

marberry
02-23-2008, 11:57 PM
i mean thoes black ones you always seen in movies , if i was a navy seal id buy an omega lol unfortunatly i dont have that much money

JRJ
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I really like some of those swiss army watches but man I have a hard time spending over a 200 bucks on a watch.

I couldn't live with myself if I destroyed a $500+ watch. I always end up scratching the face bad or shattering them.

I stick with timex, unless someone could point me to a watch of comparable price/quality/style? I'm not into digital time display or metal bands.

-JRJ

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Casio Shock is my watch of choice, Been with my for sometime now and ive never had a problem with it

marberry
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
you can get a navy seal dive watch from cabelas for 200-500 , there built to take punishment.

Rick
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
How about a cheap, wind up watch? Buy several. If you break one, use another. You'll still have less money invested and no batteries to go dead in the field.

http://www.schooluniforms.com/4228.html

awfoxden
03-29-2008, 11:53 PM
i stick by the casio g-shock. i've had 4 up to now over the last 13 years. the fist two worked great and survived several dives down to a max depth of 113' and loged my 100th dive with it on, the only failure was the pins striping on the watch band. my last i still have and use on ocasion. it has a wrap around fabric band with velcro and a buckle. the buckle and velcro are worn and come loose on ocasion. i could probably send to casio and get a new band put on it but havn't got around to it yet. my newest was a chrismas gift from the wife and is one of the new atomic that they claim will never need a new battery. it also has a cloth wrap band and velcro. this configuration seems to hold a bit better than the buckle on my last watch did.

these watches seem nearly indistructable and i swear by them.

i had a lacross that was a gift last year. i think my wife got it from cabelas for around $75. i sent it back in first 3 weeks because it stoped working. they sent a new one and told me that the article states water resistant not water proof and you cant take it in water. i went swimming with it once. they replaced it but warned that they would only replace once due to moisture. it is also one that has altimiter, barameter, compas, and temp. didn't work so hot. glad to be back to my g-shock. if you want a compas, just buy on of thos little ones that slide onto a watch band and your good to go.

canid
03-30-2008, 12:26 AM
the ironman triathlon dress watch i got as a gift a while back has held up great. it's darn near indestructable.

i wouldn't say i'm brand loyal to timex but i do see it being the only watch i'll need for pretty much ever short of its being run over by a particularly large truck.

Stony
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Timex, have mine for over 10 years.
forget the compass on a watch, spend $ 60 on a good Silva compass and you are set.

sgtdraino
10-01-2008, 12:58 AM
I am in the market for a new watch, and this time I think I want one that does some hiking tricks. I'm thinking about either a digital compass watch, a pedometer watch, or perhaps even a gps watch. The gps watches are pretty expensive, if I decide I need to go cheaper, ideally I'd want a watch with both a compass and pedometer on it. Seems obvious to me, being able to keep track of both direction and distance. However, seems like there are loads of compass watches, and loads of pedometer watches, but I can't find anything that has both features.

Are there any watches you guys think I should look at? Are there any features you guys would recommend, or discourage? For example, are the digital compass watches sensitive enough to really navigate with? Are the gps watches accurate enough to use? Do they eat batteries?

Interested in your responses.

chiye tanka
10-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Casio has a couple that are geared toward hiking/backpacking. One is solar powered, and if I remember right, they both have compasses.

crashdive123
10-01-2008, 06:54 AM
I've looked at (didn't get) the Casio Pathfinder series and the Tissot T-Touch series. Decided to stick with my old Seiko Automatic that I got in 1975 (used).

Gray Wolf
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I am in the market for a new watch, and this time I think I want one that does some hiking tricks.

This link might help you.
http://www.watchreport.com/hikingoutdoors/index.html

crashdive123
10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Nice link.

sgtdraino
10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Excellent link, GW. That was exactly the information I needed. Wow, that T-Touch is totally James Bond! Can't afford it, though. Think I will go with one of the Casio Pathfinders.

Deer Sniper
10-06-2008, 02:49 AM
I wear a Seiko diver quartz with sapphlex crystal. had it for 8 years and bounced it off of lots o stuff including pavement but no scratches on the lens yet. Keeps good time.

Runs With Beer
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
What do you need a watch for , Its light or dark.

Rick
10-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Some of us live in a cave. It's dark..... or it's dark.

crashdive123
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
......or a submarine.

sgtdraino
10-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Just an update to let you guys know I settled on the Casio Pathfinder PAG50T-7V:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/PAG50_Series/product/PAG50T-7V

It's one of the older models. I picked it for several reasons:

1. It has the superimposed large compass hands, which I like better than the newer models' tiny compass indicators.

2. It is one of the smaller models (though still big compared to other watches), necessary because I have small wrists.

3. It is less expensive, which allowed me to get the titanium version. I wanted the titanium version because it came with a metal watch band. I am sometimes allergic to the plastic/resin bands. Also the resin bands eventually wear out, and these watches do not take standard off-the-rack watch bands.

The only downsides to the PAG50 is that it doesn't have atomic accuracy (which I don't much care about, I don't mind setting my own watch from time-to-time, and such clocks often don't get good signal strength over here on the east coast), and also that (oddly) the PAG50 is not equipped with a stopwatch. That does bug me a bit, as I do occasionally find a use for a stopwatch, but I figure I can just take a little effort and do the math, or if it's that important, simply carry a stopwatch in addition.

Thoughts?

Rick
10-10-2008, 05:49 AM
As Crash would say, if it works for you, it works for me.

crashdive123
10-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Yep.........