PDA

View Full Version : Donating books......

hunter63
05-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Mods...if better in the classifieds please move......may post a list.

As part of our on going effort to down size..........Today effort was sort, start clean out and donating books......

Found a book store that would store credit (not much) on good shape used books.
Actually ended up just leaving them there with the Mom (owner) as the Daughter (business partner) was saying, No.

Talking with her... it seems that there isn't much of a market at this time, (at least around here).. but hoping the paper books in hand are gonna make a come back????

You can buy many off the interweb for real cheap...but shipping is still a problem.

Most of what went were popular serial books and hard cover novels....haven't got into sorting the gardening and homesteading books.

I would give them away to a good home but the shipping is expensive.

Any one interested, I can list titles and put them in the classifieds, would just ask shipping or trade.
Either post if interested or PM.

randyt
05-26-2016, 06:19 PM
I would be interested

Manwithnoname
05-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Here I go dating myself again but by god the world has lost it's mind and tilted off axis. Paper books not having any worth?!?! For real!?!? If it ain't paper, I ain't interested!!

hunter63
05-26-2016, 06:58 PM
OK boys, I'll start listing what I have left.

I did have to laugh about her comment about shipping.....
I bought a used copy of one Bradford Alger's wilderness cook books for $.99 cents....cost me $5.95 to ship it. ..was stamped "Discard" from a library.

Faiaoga
05-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Someone on this forum just posted about how the federal government is studying The effects of a massive solar flare, this or the scary EMP event might be good reasons to have some books and a public library. :clover:

hunter63
05-26-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm not getting rid of ALL of them...LOL.

finallyME
05-27-2016, 05:43 PM
I am a sucker for buying used books at the thrift store. The biggest problem is when I can't remember what I already have and buy a book I already own. I need to make a list and put it on my phone.

Unless it is a really good book, I try and limit my purchases to books with sewn bindings and hard covers. Most older hardcovers are smith sewn, so that generally isn't a problem. A lot of newer hard covers are just perfect bound, which is a really cheap way to bind, and doesn't hold up over time. All paperbacks are perfect bound, if you were wondering what that is. Basically line up the spine and glue it all. Every page is held in by glue.

Faiaoga
05-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Thank you for explaining "smith bound" and "perfect bound" - have never seen these terms before. Yes, glued-in pages can fall out. They can also be glued back in.

tundrabadger
05-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Books are my major vice....these days I do use an e-reader, but I still prefer an actual paper book.

On which point....do the public schools in your area ever have book sales? there are a bunch that do here in Ottawa, and the sales mostly run on donations. If your area has the same thing, I'm sure they'd appreciate any books you could kick in to raise money.

hunter63
05-29-2016, 09:52 PM
There was actually a set up stand at a gas station....had donated books from local library....raising money for some group.

I ended up buy a book of WWII cartoons by Bill Maudlin titled "Up Front" ...MF had that book and I don't now what ever happened to it...and was one of the few book he owned(?).....

Been kinda taking a break on the books a paper work after the load to the book store and having to think hard or what I want to get rid of.
I go in spurts...then have to sit back and see of "donator's remorse is gonna set in....LOL

So far so good.....next batch will be a real challenge.

finallyME
06-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Thank you for explaining "smith bound" and "perfect bound" - have never seen these terms before. Yes, glued-in pages can fall out. They can also be glued back in.

Here is a video of an older machine smyth sewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuZoSWHveY

hunter63
06-01-2016, 01:57 PM
That a pretty cool vid....always loved old machinery......Thanks for posting that.

Just saw an ad in the newspaper where the Humane Society is have a book sale to raise money for the animals....may donate to that.

Rick
06-01-2016, 02:49 PM
That was a great video. The guys that design those machines are smarter than Wile E. Coyote and he's a super genius.

hunter63
06-01-2016, 05:50 PM
That old machine reminds me of the old stranding, closing, bunching, winding and wire making machines from a previous life.

The is a for sale site in Romania....but has some of the same type of machines....

http://www.used-machinery.ro/equipment/Wire+Machinery/Wire+Stranders/239

finallyME
06-02-2016, 09:58 AM
The one thing I have always been so impressed with is the design of carburetors. Sure fuel injection is an improvement, but that needs a computer to control it. The guys that designed the carburetor had to do it with slide rules and no computer flow modeling. They were definitely some smart cookies!