PDA

View Full Version : killer frost took the garden

hayshaker
05-14-2016, 11:08 PM
this morning i awoke to see frost everywhere it seemed on the deck vehicles and roofs.
later in the morning i went out to see the garden and all was lost. Tonite NWS reports likking frosts
for our county and afew others in S,dakota, has anyone here experienced any garden damage?

kyratshooter
05-14-2016, 11:55 PM
We went into the upper 30s last night. Going to be col tonight too.

I do not have to worry about the garden at this point, it has been too wet to walk across the lawn, much less till and plant.

crashdive123
05-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Cold front moving in here too. Only supposed to get into the mid 80's.

hayshaker
05-15-2016, 08:17 AM
mid-80's yer just being mean LOL i still have'nt put the winter clothes away yet.
tinking mabey if anything is left at the farm store buy a few more plants, too late to replant mabey.

kyratshooter
05-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Timing will depend on what you plant.

You should have plenty of time for most things like tomatoes, beans, peas, squash, corn.

Maybe not enough in your climate zone for long growth crops.

This snap and wet streak is about 2 weeks late from my region, but not a total disaster as it would be in early June.

I will still get most of my crops in, just latter than I prefer.

hunter63
05-15-2016, 11:28 AM
After years of trying the beat the weather odds....being successful may 1/2 the time.....I just wait till Memorial Day for hot weather transplants.
Seem to get ripe harvests at abut the same time....no matter what I do.

Lately been more into farmers markets on Saturdays...and let them worry about it.

Manwithnoname
05-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Wow, I'm sorry Hunter, that sucks. I'm way south of you but last month I lost my tomatoes to a frost.

hunter63
05-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Wow, I'm sorry Hunter, that sucks. I'm way south of you but last month I lost my tomatoes to a frost.

Don't be sorry....Not me that lost to the frost.....We are doing just fine with the scaled down garden....Haven't put anything in yet.

Manwithnoname
05-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Oops, my bad, that was meant for you Hayshaker.

LowKey
05-15-2016, 06:31 PM
I still had all my stuff in the cold frame when the frost hit here last week. Lost a bunch of leaves off my sweet potato starts and the tomatoes are looking a little peaked but didn't lose the tops. Lost all the pepper plants. Lost all the basil too.
The broccoli and cabbage were already planted but they did ok. Peas ok too.

Where I am here in MA, I could start tomatoes from seed now and still get a good harvest by fall frost. There's usually one or two volunteers I let go in the compost heap that always make it. Wouldn't be the best but would have something.
Restarting the peppers next weekend.

Think about it this way.
If you were a Pilgrim, you would be starving soon.