PDA

View Full Version : For Beginners

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm fairly new to this survival stuff. I'm doing more outdoors stuff lately so I want to build up my survival skills. I've got 2 questions.

1. What would be a good book to get started with? I've seen a few listed, just wondering if there's a GOOD one I should start with in particular.

2. Does anyone know if there are any kind of survival classes or training in my area? I'm in Vegas.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky789
07-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Ive read a lot of survival books and I would honestly say that Tom Brown's Books are really good because they cover a lot of bases from just the simple basics to the skills needed to survive a year or more off the grid. Im not saying its the best (and I honestly take a lot of his stuff with a tiny grain of salt) but it does do a really good job at teaching you and getting you prepared. Sorry I dont know any schools in that area though.

donny h
07-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Hello there, you might want to check out BOSS (Boulder Outdoor Survival Scool), most of their classes are held in southern Utah, pretty close to Vegas.

They offer basic skills courses on up.

http://www.boss-inc.com/08front.html

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks, I'll check his books out. And thanks for the training tip. Southern Utah would definitely be doable. I'll check them out.

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm fairly new to this survival stuff. I'm doing more outdoors stuff lately so I want to build up my survival skills. I've got 2 questions.

1. What would be a good book to get started with? I've seen a few listed, just wondering if there's a GOOD one I should start with in particular.

2. Does anyone know if there are any kind of survival classes or training in my area? I'm in Vegas.

Thanks in advance.

I can't stress this enough; go to Amazon & order a copy of Cody Lundin's book: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your A*s Alive. He also list the information about how to contact his survival school in Prescott Arizona. This book is a great start-up book and should be in everybody;s survival library. Also you can go to his web-site (I posted it in "I need a survival expert" thread) and order top quality Swedish Mora knives for under $20 apiece as well as fire drill & bow sets.

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Sarge, I'll be ordering that today! You gotta love that title! haha

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks Sarge, I'll be ordering that today! You gotta love that title! haha

Here's that web-site address again: www.alssadventures.com.