PDA

View Full Version : Raised Platform Fire

RangerXanatos
04-19-2016, 08:37 AM
I haven't been able to get out like I want to anymore so it seems I have to make quick little trips when the opportunity offers it. I got off work yesterday at 2:30 and drove out to a little spot on the lake. I got there a little after 3:00, grabbed some tools from my car and headed off into the woods. I have been wanting to do this for a while and finally did it.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/rangerxanatos/Raised%20Platform%20Fire/20160418_164449_zpsgkribsgp.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/rangerxanatos/media/Raised%20Platform%20Fire/20160418_164449_zpsgkribsgp.jpg.html)

The lighting

https://youtu.be/pYSbv_PeqY4

Old Professor
04-19-2016, 09:37 AM
It certainly appears to be a fire that is not likely to set the woods on fire by accident, so good job. Question? What is the purpose of this fire, cooking, signaling, obviously not for warmth. Not critizing , just curious. What did you use as a base to build the fire on?

hunter63
04-19-2016, 10:12 AM
News this morning ...everyone in Wisconsin is reminded of fire danger that is high at this time.......
So building in the lake does kinda make sense.

Also fire light was used for night fishing.

Does kinda make kneeling by the fire a damp experience.

RangerXanatos
04-19-2016, 10:36 AM
It certainly appears to be a fire that is not likely to set the woods on fire by accident, so good job. Question? What is the purpose of this fire, cooking, signaling, obviously not for warmth. Not critizing , just curious. What did you use as a base to build the fire on?

In a case such as this, it would be very useful for night fishing. It frees both hands, many could be set for a larger area lighting, tie your lines to the platforms, etc.
Can also be used for signaling. Gives a much bigger area of view, tree canopy does not dispense the smoke, and obviously unnatural.
This would be more of a necessity in damp environments such as where there is no dry ground such as in swamps and bayous.

The base was green sticks covered with green leaves and then sand to keep the fire from burning through.

Rick
04-19-2016, 11:12 AM
It would attract fish at night so a spear or net would be more productive. That's pretty cool. Nice job. Had to give you some rep for that.

hunter63
04-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Did you use a Bic to light it?......LOL

RangerXanatos
04-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Did you use a Bic to light it?......LOL

Yes I did. Saved the flares that were in my pack. Lol.

crashdive123
04-19-2016, 04:11 PM
I thought for sure.......now we're gonna see ole RX shoot a flaming arrow to light the fire, or maybe a bacon grease soaked flaming ball fired out of a sling shot.

hunter63
04-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Yes I did. Saved the flares that were in my pack. Lol.

Yeah, well I gonna guess 90 percent of my fires are started with a Bic.......8 percent with a flint and steel...2 percent ....Road flare.

So, the end justifies the means......Nice job.

WalkingTree
04-20-2016, 12:11 AM
- I was gonna ask how it affects fish at night. But I guess it can even attract them? If so, I'd think that this could even be a primary method for fishing.

- For emergency signaling, yea I see this as a very good idea. More area to work with, and no view obstruction from the air. Heh...when night fishing, hafta make sure you don't put them in a triangle or line. Might give the wrong impression.

- When using this because the ground is damp, I'd say that you can just do the same thing but on that ground instead of out in the water. Make that pedestal but just on the land.