PDA

View Full Version : Escape Tool

Ken
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Please consider keeping a spring-loaded center-hole punch within arms reach in your vehicle, and an extra one in your survival pack. For a cost of under $10.00, you'll get a tool (not much larger than a pen) that will shatter most any automotive glass, enabling a quick escape route for submerged or overturned cars, as well as an entry tool to get someone out of a vehicle if necessary.

crashdive123
05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
One tucked onto the visors (driver and passenger) of each vehicle.

Rick
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't understand the need for a tool like that. My wife put one in her van and I asked her what she was going to do with it. She just sort of held it up and gave me that look that said I wasn't going to like the answer. So it's in the van.

The odds of me going in the drink are pretty slim. Even if I do I should be able to roll down the windows (yes, they are electric in the truck and the van) or open the door once the pressure equalizes.

As for the roll over, I doubt any glass will be left intact. It doesn't take a whole lot to punch out a side window if you use something small like a pocket knife (closed).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I've just never met anyone that could explain why I want to have one.

crashdive123
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
The area that I live in has lots of water and bridges. Today for example - drove about 125 mile to all of my appointments. Probably crossed 20 bridges. Some the fall would kill you and some are fairly small. Also, many of the roadways are so close to sea level in the area so there is always a concern when the big storms roll in. You are right that a side window breaks fairly easily, but if I or my wife are injured the spring loaded punch takes no effort at all. Hope I'll never need to use one. The more likely use would be in a super market parking lot seeing a small child locked in a car. Wouldn't hesitate to break out the window - of course there are other ways to break it in that situation. just another tool in the toolbox of preparedness.

Ken
05-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Rick, I used one several times when I worked rescue (70's and 80's) to gain access into cars. Once, a mother locked her infant in the car (in his carseat) by accident on a very hot summer day. The kid would have fried by the time another set of keys arrived. The punch worked on the first try (it always did) and there was no glass shatter to harm the baby. Slim jims won't work on many of todays locking systems, and you can never find a professional car thief when you need one.

Ken
05-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Another item you may want to consider is a smoke signal. The Orion Orange Smoke Signal is quite effective in attracting attention and summoning help. It can be held out of a car window (how many times do we read about someone being found days after their car went off the road) or used in several other situations when cellphone or audible signals won't work.

Rick
05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
My wife locked us out of our car at dinner one evening. The locksmith had us in the car in about 30 seconds. It was pretty amazing how he did it. He said the new cars are the easiest to access. After seeing him I'm not even sure why I bother locking it.

I will concede that rescuing an infant from a locked car is a good thing. Although I've never had to do that. I could certain see rescue folks using that or a similar device.

Sam
05-10-2008, 04:19 AM
My wife locked us out of our car at dinner one evening. The locksmith had us in the car in about 30 seconds. It was pretty amazing how he did it. He said the new cars are the easiest to access. After seeing him I'm not even sure why I bother locking it.

I will concede that rescuing an infant from a locked car is a good thing. Although I've never had to do that. I could certain see rescue folks using that or a similar device.

The punch works on people too.

Alpine_Sapper
05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Can someone post a pic of this punch your talking about? I keep picturing a swingline hole punch. Like I'm going to get rescued by this guy or something:

http://gothamist.com/images/milton_looks.jpg

crashdive123
05-10-2008, 06:51 AM
In case you're serious...and for anybody that hasn't seen one. http://customchopperbuilderstoolbox.com/library/KToolSpringLoadedCenterPunch_KTI70002.jpg

Rick
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Sam - See? It's that out of the box thinking again. I've been stuck in the "use it for this" mentality. There are probably lots of other uses for it. Hmmmm. I'll have to rethink this. Incidently, this is the one my wife brought home:

http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/_/Car-Rescue-Tool/productID/193894FA-74B5-46EA-AC87-8BB4212839ED/categoryID/31DFC08F-CAE1-49D1-BA13-1ABB981B70BE/

Here is a key chain unit if anyone is interested:

http://www.resqme.com/

Alpine_Sapper
05-10-2008, 07:17 AM
In case you're serious...and for anybody that hasn't seen one. http://customchopperbuilderstoolbox.com/library/KToolSpringLoadedCenterPunch_KTI70002.jpg

Yeah, I was serious. I pulled the text straight out of the post and did a google search. For some screwy reason all I got were the standard office tools. Thanks. That looks a little bit better than one of these:

http://www.oppictures.com/singleimages/400/SWI74027_1_1.JPG

crashdive123
05-10-2008, 07:22 AM
:D OK (remember I didn't "get" one of your jokes....age and all that) The rescue tools that Rick posted are pretty good as well. I like the spring loaded center punch because all you need to do is press it against the window and then....window is gone. No swinging required.

Ken
05-10-2008, 11:54 AM
The one I originally referred to was the one posted by Crashdive123. Quite often the widow will drop into the door frame after it shatters.

Aurelius95
05-10-2008, 09:53 PM
The only problem in waiting for the car pressure to equalize so you can open the door is that the car continues to sink. So while it might take a minute to fill with water, how far deep will you be?

They did a bit on this for Mythbusters, and found that if you're alert, you can usually open the door before you sink too far for the pressure to matter. Otherwise, hold your breath and then wait about 30 seconds for it to fill.

wareagle69
05-11-2008, 09:33 AM
thank gawd i had mine on me last night, all thought i don't think the cop is too pleased about missing his back window, oh well maybe i'll donate to the policemans ball to even out the karma

nell67
05-11-2008, 09:35 AM
thank gawd i had mine on me last night, all thought i don't think the cop is too pleased about missing his back window, oh well maybe i'll donate to the policemans ball to even out the karma

See? Always be prepared! :D

Arkansas_Ranger
05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I've cut a few cars apart in my time too to get people out. Typically there's already a broken window, or a host of other items at hand to break one. I've played with those tools like the brass one that was posted as a picture, but I've never used one in its intended capacity.

Riverrat
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I have used then and they work great, we usually run a couple of quick strips of tape across the window to help stop glass from going to far, if we have the time. I have one in the SUV that also is a flashlight, and has a strobe function, works great. it also has a seat belt cutter on it, and that could be of more use then a window punch, espically if you are upside down and have pressure on the locking mechanisiam. Got it at Wally world, I think.

trax
05-13-2008, 12:12 PM

If he can't do a more thorough search of people he puts in the backseat, then he should consider paying for the window as the price of his education....

Rick
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
There is some genuine logic someplace in there....I think.:D

bulrush
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Can I get this auto hole punch at any big hardware store (Lowe's or Home Despot) or is it a specialty item I have to get online?

Ken
05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Home Depot had them about a year back. Probably still do.

trax
05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
You know...a rock works too, just not as neatly. If you have to punch out a side window of your car,(or the back window of someone's house if you're a burglar) put a hat against the window and punch the inside of the hat and you'll protect yourself from nasty glass cuts. That's why you should always wear a hat. I learned that from John Steed on an old episode of The Avengers.

crashdive123
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
...and let us not forget Mrs. Peel.

Rick
05-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Emma Peel. I dreamed of the woman. Diana Rigg is the epitome of a lady!

Chicago Dan
05-14-2008, 06:17 AM
These are for sale all over Chicago.
Target, K-mart, Dollar stores, Walgreens, etc., etc.
They must be popular.
I have yet to see a local story where someone "INSIDE" a vehicle used one.
Have seen several stories where someone for various reasons(one criminal) did to gain entry.
Anyhoo, each of our vehicles has one. I'm not quite sure why but we do.

wareagle69
05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
i use dim mak

grundle
05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
i use dim mak

Haha! Hold still while I try to find the right pressure point. No wait let me try again!

Dim Mak is a fantasy for most people. The amount of hours needed to practice to be able to do anything are unbelievable. How do you have pinpoint accuracy when the other person is moving? You don't, so then you have to grapple with them...

wareagle69
05-14-2008, 12:42 PM
well i use my vulcan death grip that usually holds them still long enough

crashdive123
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
....or just a mind meld and convince them to change their ways.

Rick
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I have to get out more often. I read Wareagle's post and thought dim mak was the village idiot.

crashdive123
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't feel bad. I had no clue what it was. I was just picking up on the Vulcan thing.

grundle
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Ninjas have to know these things

Rick
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
So...my lie that I'm a ninja would fall on deaf ears now wouldn't it? Just my luck. Besides, I don't float above the trees all that well anymore. After I watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I climbed to the top of a fir tree and the whole top snapped out of it. Went crashing through the limbs like a boulder down a slope. The up side was I gathered no moss on my way down so I know that saying is true.

Ken
05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Dim Mak? If you had asked me, I would have guessed it was fast food Chinese. Kinda' like a mix of Dim Sum (yummy) and McDonald's (yikes).

Alpine_Sapper
05-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Haha! Hold still while I try to find the right pressure point. No wait let me try again!

Dim Mak is a fantasy for most people. The amount of hours needed to practice to be able to do anything are unbelievable. How do you have pinpoint accuracy when the other person is moving? You don't, so then you have to grapple with them...

Dim Mak is a real art. It has been turned into a ludricous joke by the media and fiction, but the underlying art still works. Specialized striking styles are used. You can think of it kinda like the different striking styles in the 5 animal shaolin system, but they also do a lot of iron-body training on their fingers so they can mimize the point of impact. If you strengthen your fingers and condition them to delivering that kind of blow, you can deliver the same force as a punch over a much smaller area of impact. Couple that with the target (a pressure point or vital area) and you can do some serious damage. For example, and this ins't necessarily dim mak, but you can deliver a blow to the brachial or femoral artery that can literally shut down an opponents limbs temporarily. You can do the same thing, if not kill the guy, buy a half fist or spear hand strike to the armpit, a major nerve center.

Oh, and it really doesn't matter if you hit the exact target in most instances. A punch to the side of the head is a punch to the side of head. If you can connect with the temple with a knuckle, problem solved. Otherwise, punch again. :)