PDA

View Full Version : getting into better shape

randyt
04-18-2016, 07:49 AM
it seems like the last few years I've gotten out of shape. Working is not a problem, most of my time is spent crawling around attics or crawlspaces. It seems like I'm more tired after work than usual I figure it's because I'm getting older. However I can do better. I've been walking and that's all good. Been thinking about jogging or walking with a pack. I'm really built for torque not so much for speed. Figured walking with the pack would be easier on the joints and what not. Any thoughts?

madmax
04-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Biking or swimming will be easier on the joints and connecting tissue. But it's hard to beat specific training.

Rick
04-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Amen. That's me. Built for torque not speed. I wish I had known that years ago when the boss kept driving stakes in the ground beside me. Walking is good. Jogging not so much at my age. I walk daily. I just keep extending how far I walk.

hunter63
04-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Tried just walking few miles a day...... took me most of the summer to get to Minneapolis, Mn....started seeing Viking Purple so caught a ride home.

Still go the Gym three times a week (just got back).......don't want no pacemaker.....

BENESSE
04-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Walking (or any other aerobic exercise) is fine as long as you get your heart rate way up beyond what's normal for you.
You need to be out of breath and still be able to carry on a conversation...that's how you'll know you are exerting yourself without going overboard. 30 minutes daily + any weight training, and you're all set.

randyt
04-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Swimming and biking sounds good but I'm not much of a swimmer and there is no place decent that's near me to go. Biking not a bad option but does tend to hurt my back. I'm hoping that works it's way out.

Ok Rick, lets start a group, we'll call it the torque converters lol

Beings I'm not retired yet I have to keep my walks short otherwise I would end up by James Bay. In the meantime I'm trying to squeeze a little more out of a little less time so I figured a heavy pack would do that.

BENESSE
04-18-2016, 12:29 PM
3 X 10 minutes/day is fine too. Just make sure you get out of breath for max. benefit. If you've got access to a flight or two of stairs, do that fast up and down for 10 min. I guarantee you'll feel it. Carrying a pack is an added bonus.

Rick
04-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Well, I'll swan. You guys can't just walk in a straight line. For pity sake. You have to walk in a circle. You have to move from room to room too or you'll wear the carpet out.

hunter63
04-18-2016, 05:09 PM
I thought "round" was a shape........just saying.....

BENESSE
04-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Other than chasing trolls, one has to find other ways to make their heart rate go up....Rick. :)

Rick
04-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Personally, mine gets all aflutter every time I think about the elections, gun control, Islamadingbats or bacon.

nell67
04-18-2016, 07:21 PM
I thought "round" was a shape........just saying.....

I didn't think so, until I became "round" myself..... after the neck surgery in 2011, I found out what happens when you are not so active as you once were. All the restrictions my doc put me under has taken its toll. I have tried doing exercises that didn't involve straining my neck, including walking have a tredmill but I find that I get bored with that, I even tried reading and listening to music or my books from school (on audio to lessen the amount of weight I needed to carry to class) but still just walking bored me, and the doc was adamant about no running...my lower back has suffered as well from not being active as well, and have been doing injections there, will be doing so again on the 25th, and if those fail to provide long lasting relief then he proposes to burn the nerve endings so no more pain.

No more pain, thats what I'm talking about, but my neck surgeon promised me that in 2011 too.LOL

Rick
04-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Tread mills are great!!! They make a right handy place to hang clothes.

nell67
04-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Tread mills are great!!! They make a right handy place to hang clothes.pffft, they make great bruises on your knees because they get in the way!, No seriously, after the next injections, I plan on using it again, we have a bowflex, but my doc was adamant that I not pull/push or lift anything over 15#..... Some YMCA's have a "silver sneaker" program for peeps on medicare. They have personal trainers there and thought I might look into working with one for a little bit, maybe come up with some exercises that will work for those who can't lift or pull weights. I'm thinking the pool would be a great asset.

BENESSE
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Beautiful-Animals-477773425746427/videos?fref=photo

look at Dog fitness activities (https://www.facebook.com/477773425746427/videos/496893583834411/)

hunter63
04-19-2016, 04:39 PM
I stay at the cardio rehab center at the Hospital... where I had my therapy after surgery.....

The operating room is down the hall, the emergency room just down stairs, RN's run the place, not Chad and Buffy...
and I don't look good in yoga pants....people laugh.

kyratshooter
04-19-2016, 07:55 PM
You guys are still trying to "work through the pain" and "feel the burn".

Too young for me to keep up.

If you feel a burn at 66 you better check your shorts.

The road to fitness success is to hang around with really fat guys!

250# don't look nearly as bad when its standing next to 350 !

Rick
04-19-2016, 08:44 PM
(chuckle) That's for sure. You know you are past your prime when you make a muscle with your bicep and more is hanging under your arm that standing above it.

Torque Converters. I like that. It has a little pizzazz.

Nice looking lady: "So what do you do?"
Me: "I'm a torque converter."
Nice looking lady: "So are they difficult to convert?"
Me: "Oh, gosh, yes. Takes years of practice and a steady hand."

1stimestar
04-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Yep, getting ready for summer, down 15 lbs!

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2016, 09:39 PM
You guys are still trying to "work through the pain" and "feel the burn".

Too young for me to keep up.

If you feel a burn at 66 you better check your shorts.

The road to fitness success is to hang around with really fat guys!

250# don't look nearly as bad when its standing next to 350 !

Uh, honest lets retire the "feeling the burn" please.

( jock itch sucks.....)

randyt
04-19-2016, 10:10 PM
I thought "feeling the burn" was a political statement