PDA

View Full Version : First Aid and Medical Supplies

Ken
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Almost every first aid kit on the market contains plenty of stuff for minor scratches and bumps but not much more. The prices of pre-packaged kits are insane compared to one you can put together yourself. But NONE - NONE OF THEM - contain any medications beyond stuff like tylenol, aspirin, heartburn tablets, and sunburn ointment. In survival situations, it's likely that sudden illnesses or serious injuries will require much more, especially if medical facilities are unavailable for any reason. There are dozens of ways to improvise, but not many substitutes for many items and little or no substitutes for modern medications. Many docs, as does mine, will give you scripts for "just in case" items for your pack so long as the doc knows you well enough to know that you will use the prescriptions for their intended purpose rather than "recreational" reasons. So, my question is:

Other than prescriptions and supplies you are curently using, what do you keep on hand any why?

nell67
05-09-2008, 02:33 PM
I have several of the prepackaged kits around the house and in the truck,to which I have added more gauze tape,bandages,full size ointments and small botlles of alcohol and peroxide,a small sewing kit (you know, just in case I get to play doctor) elastic bands to stop blood flow,feminine hygeine products ( serves more than one purpose,great for larger wounds) and have a clamp,and scissors from a suture kit from when my son last got stitches,the doc asked if I wanted them or they were going to toss them ,of course I said yep,and these are in one of my kits in the house.

Riverrat
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
One thing to remember for your kit is burn dressing, these will not stick to wound and if you do have a burn you do not want regular dressing on it as they will stick and cause all kinds of problems. Small stucture kit is great, and a BP cuff as well, not only used to take BP's, but also works great a tourniquet....

Rick
05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
One of the things that I do have is a surgical kit. I don't expect to do surgery in the woods but it does contain a nice assortment of medical tools that could come in quite handy.

crashdive123
05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
This thread prompted me to dump out my first aid kit that sits nest to my bug out bags and do a written inventory for the inside. Here it is.

2 – Instant cold packs
1 – Arm sling
8 – pair sterile gloves
8 – pair Nitrile gloves
2 – Ace bandages
2 – finger splints
1- container 30 spf sunscreen
1 – can Lanacane ant-bacterial spray
2- small hand sanitizer bottles
1 – pack Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes
1 – bottle hydrogen peroxide
30 – alcohol prep pads
2 – tubes insect repellent
24 – tablets ibuprofen
30 – tablets Imodium AD
50 – tablets aspirin
6 – packs alka-seltzer tablets
1 – tube Neosporin
1 – bottle contact lens cleaning solution
2 – cases contact lenses
1 – pair nail clippers
1- pair tweezers
1 – magnifying lens
2 – tube Vaseline lip therapy
20 – vials Refresh Plus lubricating drops
10 – Niosh N-95 dust masks
8 week supply (for 2) of potassium Iodide tablets
2 – small folding knives
1 – pair scissors
1 lighter
1 – mini mag w/extra batteries
2 – space blankets
1 – tube aloe vera gel
25 – ft 550 cord
4 – scalpel blades
4 – suture needles and thread
25 safety pins
Assorted band aids
Assorted gauze pads
Assorted rolls adhesive tape
1 – tube super glue

Rick
05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Dr. Crash. Paging Dr. Crash. You are wanted in the Wilderness ER. Stat!

Nice, Crash. It looks like you and your family are well protected. Anything you might not have you could easily improvise.

crashdive123
05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
When all else fails, there is always duct tape.

klkak
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a nice first aid kit from WMI. I got it when I completed my Wilderness First Responders course. To this kit I added, Super glue, Electricians tape and duct tape. I also added a five day course of my prescription meds which I rotate regularly.

Ken
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
May I suggest building goodwill and trust with your doctor. He/she will likely give you some pretty powerful med scripts JUST IN CASE. So long as you bring these meds (unused) to your doc after the script expires, they will likely give you new scripts as replacements. My on-hand medication list:

1. Epinephrine-sticks (allergic reactions)
2. Penicillin (antibiotic)
3. Tetracycline (antibiotic)
4. Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic - anthrax treatment)
5. Amoxicillin (antibiotic)
6. Ciclopirox (anti-fungal)
7. Tylenol III (for mild pain relief)
8. Percodan (for moderate pain relief)
9. Demerol (for severe pain relief)
10. Compazine (Nausea/intestinal)
11. Pepcid-AC (heartburn - over the counter)

My first aid supplies could fill a pharmacy, and I have various kits for home (huge kit) office (medium kit) vehicles (medium kit) hiking (compact kit) BUT my survival kit (large) is the one I stock with plenty of these meds.

In most cases, illness or injury will require more than aspirin, Rolaids, and antibiotic wipes. Suggest you consider at least the meds listed above.

Rick
05-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll repeat it once again for everyone. There is a difference between regular super glue and medical super glue. "most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns."

Be safe, use only medical super glue. A couple of brand names are Dermabond and Traumaseal.

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html

nell67
05-09-2008, 05:32 PM
When I worked in the warehouse,I was always getting nasty box cuts,just mosied on down to the tool room and bummed the super glue,it burned like heck,but I never had to worry about it opening up for a while.
At home I have the new skin,liquid,and the dermabond,and yep the burn like heck also,didn't notice any difference in how they worked.

Ken
05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Nell67 wrote "feminine hygeine products ( serves more than one purpose,great for larger wounds)"

Sanitary napkins are often stocked in large quantities for ambulance use. They're just as sanitary as most packaged wound dressings, generally more absorbent, and far less expensive.

nell67
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Nell67 wrote "feminine hygeine products ( serves more than one purpose,great for larger wounds)"

Sanitary napkins are often stocked in large quantities for ambulance use. They're just as sanitary as most packaged wound dressings, generally more absorbent, and far less expensive.

Exactly......

Arkansas_Ranger
05-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Go to a website like www.galls.com and look for EMS-grade trauma kits. They'll come with a host of bandaging supplies, some other items, BP cuff and stethoscope as well as some other tools. Mine was a 25 pounder I recently gave to a volunteer fire department. I need a new one. I've always wanted one of those military field surgery kits, yet I've never bought one. Back when I was a biology teacher I supplemented my bag with some new, unused dissecting supplies, and another assortment of instruments from a suture kit along with the little tools that are supplied. One handy invention is Quick-Clot. I've never bought it, but it works wonders. I wouldn't keep all of the medicines that Ken mentioned unless you're aware of the pathophysiology of your given illness/injury and the pharmacology of the meds. I would like to have a couple of epi-pens though. At one time I did have bags of saline and IV start-up kits back when I was working as a paramedic. The solution expired so I threw it all out.

tacmedic
05-13-2008, 02:05 AM
I second the opinion on the Quick Clot, it is a great tool and can do a good job of stopping major bleeding. Another item I use is the Israeli Bandage it is a combination of pressure dressing and can be used as a tourniquet and is designed to be applied with one hand, i.e. you can put it on yourself if needed. An important thing to remember is that if you have a piece of equipment in your kit that you aren't trained in using it is useless. A good grasp on basic first aid along with a healthy dose of common sense can go a long way to saving a life, no surgical kit needed.

Sam
05-13-2008, 02:24 AM
This thread prompted me to dump out my first aid kit that sits nest to my bug out bags and do a written inventory for the inside. Here it is.

2 – Instant cold packs
1 – Arm sling
8 – pair sterile gloves
8 – pair Nitrile gloves
2 – Ace bandages
2 – finger splints
1- container 30 spf sunscreen
1 – can Lanacane ant-bacterial spray
2- small hand sanitizer bottles
1 – pack Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes
1 – bottle hydrogen peroxide
30 – alcohol prep pads
2 – tubes insect repellent
24 – tablets ibuprofen
30 – tablets Imodium AD
50 – tablets aspirin
6 – packs alka-seltzer tablets
1 – tube Neosporin
1 – bottle contact lens cleaning solution
2 – cases contact lenses
1 – pair nail clippers
1- pair tweezers
1 – magnifying lens
2 – tube Vaseline lip therapy
20 – vials Refresh Plus lubricating drops
10 – Niosh N-95 dust masks
8 week supply (for 2) of potassium Iodide tablets
2 – small folding knives
1 – pair scissors
1 lighter
1 – mini mag w/extra batteries
2 – space blankets
1 – tube aloe vera gel
25 – ft 550 cord
4 – scalpel blades
4 – suture needles and thread
25 safety pins
Assorted band aids
Assorted gauze pads
Assorted rolls adhesive tape
1 – tube super glue

Nice kit, did you think about adding trash bags? With the cord you are on your way to cover from the weather if you had to wait for help. And maybe a small candle. I am not knocking your bag, I just thought these might be good additions.

crashdive123
05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Nice kit, did you think about adding trash bags? With the cord you are on your way to cover from the weather if you had to wait for help. And maybe a small candle. I am not knocking your bag, I just thought these might be good additions.

This is the kit that sits next to my bug out bags. Sheltering supplies are contained in those along with more light and heat options. I do carry smaller first aid kits in my vehicles and when I'm out in the woods. I do like the idea of quick-clot (hope it fits):D

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Here's mine:

tweezers
scissors
alcohol pads
suture kit
wound plaster
rubber tubing
butterfly bandages
gauze
tape
duct tape
iodine and benzoin
otc pain relievers
steri-strips
snake kit
neosporin
benadryl
immodium/pepto
topical analgelsic
first aid manual
razor blades
thermometer
emergency blanket
irrigation syringe
dressings
sting relief pads
plastic bags
soap
2 MRE's
5 Goo's
5 electrolyte supplements

Arkansas_Ranger
05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I second the opinion on the Quick Clot, it is a great tool and can do a good job of stopping major bleeding. Another item I use is the Israeli Bandage it is a combination of pressure dressing and can be used as a tourniquet and is designed to be applied with one hand, i.e. you can put it on yourself if needed. An important thing to remember is that if you have a piece of equipment in your kit that you aren't trained in using it is useless. A good grasp on basic first aid along with a healthy dose of common sense can go a long way to saving a life, no surgical kit needed.

You're right. The surgical kit isn't needed. They're just neat to look at. ;)

Rick
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
A surgical kit isn't needed? You couldn't use a set of forceps for retrieving a tea bag from boiling water or a backup knife or any of the other things that are included? Don't view it just as a surgical kit. View as another set of tools. And who knows, you might be forced to use it as intended for picking debris out of a really bad cut or removing a fish hook from a finger etc, etc.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
A surgical kit isn't needed? You couldn't use a set of forceps for retrieving a tea bag from boiling water or a backup knife or any of the other things that are included? Don't view it just as a surgical kit. View as another set of tools. And who knows, you might be forced to use it as intended for picking debris out of a really bad cut or removing a fish hook from a finger etc, etc.

Oh, Rick, I was thinking of stuff like scalpels and all for the intended use - surgery. I agree, hemostats are handy little gadgets. EMS-grade trauma bags usually come with scissors and hemostats. The thought of most people trying to perform surgery on themselves without knowing how to irks me, but afterall it is their body so why should I care. :p

Rick
05-13-2008, 11:56 AM
I have one with the scalpels and all. I have no intention of taking out my own appendix but you just never know what you're going to run into. And I've used some of the stuff for multi-use as well.

wildWoman
05-13-2008, 12:01 PM
About the only medications we have is antibiotics. What I would really like to get is something I can sedate or put down a dog with. My oldest dog is 15, and with living out in the bush, getting him to a vet in an emergency may not be practical or humane for the dog (skidoo, whitewater, or helicopter transport, followed by a 2hour car ride). I haven't been able to get any medication like that from the vet, so I'll try my doctor next. We're not blessed with particularly understanding docs here.

commoguy
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Quick-clot or Celox are good additions.

be very careful with quik clot the military has stopped using it b/c the dust can get in eyes and the reaction with wet things causes it to get extremely hot. they are using hem-con now i believe.

Rick
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Since folks are posting an inventory of their first aid kits I decided to inventory mine. Here they are:

The first one is my carry pack for the woods. The last one is in my Bug Out Bag.

Pack First Aid Kit

5 adhesive bandages ¾ x 5 inches
1 non-adherent pad 2 x 3 inches
1 gauze pad 2 x 2 inches 4 ply
1 knuckle adhesive bandage
5 adhesive strips 1 1/5 x 5/8 inches
2 butterfly closures 3/8 x 1 5/8 inches
1 NextTemp strip
1 tweezer
2 packets Neosporin
1 syringe w/o needle
2 alcohol prep pads
1 packet insect protection cream (non-deet)
1 insect sting relief towlette
3 2 packs of acetaminophen
1 2 pack of antacid tablets
10 Q tips
2 quick clean antiseptic wipes
6 Loperamide Hydrochloride tablets (anti-diarhea)
12 antihistamine allergy tablets
2 packs moleskin plus
2 pairs latex gloves
1 box of cough drops
1 bottle Refresh Tears
1 bottle 2% tincure of iodine (water treatment also)
1 35 mm vasoline soaked cotton balls (fire starter and great for chapped lips)

M3 Medical (Tri-fold) Bag

2 Intersorb dry gauze bandages 3 x 8
2 ABD extra absorbent pads 5 x 9
4 Nexcare dry gauze bandages 4 x 4
1 triangular bandage 40 x 40 x 56 inches
16 fl. ounces buffered eye wash
1 elastic cotton bandage
1 minor surgery kit*
........*2 straight hemostats
........*1 curved hemostat
........*1 scissors
........*1 pick
........*1 probe
........*1 scalpel handle
........*2 no. 11 scalpel blades
1 forceps
1 penlight flashlight
4 6-0 polyester fiber sutures w/needle
1 pair safety scissors
1 first aid booklet
3 butterfly closures 3/8 x 1 5/8
2 butterfly closures ¼ x 1 ½
18 povidine-iodine prep pads
18 alcohol prep pads
6 assorted safety pins
1 small container dental floss
1 small empty medicine bottle (non-childproof cap)
3 gauze bandages 2 inches by 6 yards
2 small role plastic pore tape
1 travel size soap
1 tube chapstick
16 adhesive bandages 1 x 3 inch
10 Q tips
15 Benzlkonium Cholride Antiseptic Towelette
16 pre-moistened toweletts
1 burn gel tube – Melaleuca Oil
2 burn gel tubes - Benzalkonium
1 eye pad
2 tube triple antibiotic – Bacitracin-Neomycin-Polymyxin B
1 NexTemp strip
1 tooth brush
2 forceps
1 bent hemostat
1 dental mirror
1 empty syringe w/o needle
1 airway device
5 2-packs of acetaminophen
1 rapid cold pack
5 pairs latex gloves
2 wooden finger splints ¾ x 6 inches
1 field dressing 11 ¾ inches square
1 stethoscope
1 blood pressure cuff

Arkansas_Ranger
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TK024

That's the "one size smaller" bag that I once had. I gave it away. Stupid me! Oh, well, I need/want another one. I took out all of the extras I had put in it. It included all of that, a second or third of a few of the items, an OB kit, Sam splint, BVM, etc. Then I had some IV start up equipment, bags of saline, and some other niceties.

bulrush
05-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I have used clear nail polish to cover paper cuts for many years. It works great. Stings like a son of a b----, but it lasts for 5 days with constant washing, and by that time, the wound has closed by itself.

Tony uk
05-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I dont have one set first aid kit, I change what i take depending on where, when, why, for how long im going, It also depends on what equipment i take. A list of what i would take for a 4 day trip, in the summer with light gear would be :-

Gauze bandage
Crep Bandage
Assoted size bandaids
tweezers
scissors
plaster strips
zinc oxide tape
tube of superglue
micropore tape
antiseptic cream
tub of vasiline
haemorrhoid cream
ibuprofen, asprin
antihistimine tablets
suture strips
saftey pins
scalpel blade
bandageing cloth
alcohol pads
iodine wash
quickclot
2 epi-pens

Most of this stuff i have never needed to use, But i keep it close to hand just in case, Most of the stuff i use ive put in as i found a need for it, I dont normaly take a large first aid kit, However in different situations one might be needed, What i pack has always been fine for me but a first aid kit is a personal thing, Shop bought ones ive found not to be up to the task, There are exeptions, But for price and usefullness i think your better off putting one together yourself

Rick
06-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Tony - Just an update on Quickclot. I was just on Z-Medica's web site and it looks like they've redesigned the product. It's called Quickclot ACS. They've reduced the exothermic reaction so it doesn't burn the skin and impregnated the material into a sponge.

Arkansas_Ranger
06-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Tony - Just an update on Quickclot. I was just on Z-Medica's web site and it looks like they've redesigned the product. It's called Quickclot ACS. They've reduced the exothermic reaction so it doesn't burn the skin and impregnated the material into a sponge.

Ahhhhh. I was wondering what the difference was. Thanks for the update, Rick!!!

Rick
06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
As I understand it, the Quickclot product would react with water (sweat) and could create a burn. Obviously, a burn is better than bleeding out but it still added another complication to the injury. The powder could also be blown around from chopper wash or if exposed to high winds (on a ridge line for example). The ACS formula reduces the likelihood of a burn and incorporates it into a sponge to secure the chemical into the wound. That's my .02 cents on it.