PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Bug Out Meals

prepngo
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I create my own dehydrate/vac sealed entrees for my bug out bag. I also make use of many of the commercially prepared dried foods (soup/oatmeal/hot drinks).

In a gallon-sized freezer bag I place two dehydrated meals, plus an instant oatmeal packet, a single-serve instant coffee/cocoa/cider, a packet of peanuts, hard candy, dried fruit leather and homemade jerky. Each bag contains a day's rations. These are not high calorie, but are nutritious and filling.

I've found a large duffle bag will hold approximately 30-60 of those meals; two-months worth of meals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is an easy way to have affordable .....Ooops. Sorry. You can't post your URL in the body of the thread. It's in the forum rules. You can use it in your signature but not in the body. - Rick

trax
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a darned good plan. In fact, it sounds like you just prep n go :)

nell67
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Thats great prepngo,welcome to the forum! How about heading over to the introduction thread and telling us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

trax
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
yeah, now that ya got us prepped.....go :D Oh somebody StoP me, having way too much fun today.

Alpine_Sapper
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
The shelf life on a homemade dehydrated meal is significantly shorter than, say, an MRE, even if it's vacuum sealed, right? (I'm asking to make sure) I mean, hamburger rocks have a shelf life of about a month? and then you add what to it by vacuum sealing it?

The reason I'm asking is because with a short shelf life and 30-60 days worth, it seems like life would be a constant process of eating dehydrated meals to dehydrate more to keep the stockpile fresh. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Rick
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I put what I'll eat in my bug out bag. Ramon noodles, canned meat, etc. Dehydrated stuff might go with me for a day or two but it won't get stored in my bag for the reason you mentioned, Alpine. In fact, it often doesn't make it out of the kitchen before it gets eaten. .:D

prepngo
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Alpine,
Dehydrated and vacuum sealed foods, if kept below 70 degrees will last for 2-3 years, very similar to other food storage in which the air and moisture has been removed.

dilligaf2u2
05-09-2008, 05:10 AM
I am not a big fan of bugging out. I do have bug out buckets for the just in case. 2ea 4gal buckets. Food and survival items for TDW and I are stored in them. MRE entrys, dehydrated fruits and soups, oat meal packs and hard candy. The Buckets make it easy to transport and give us a bucket, if we need one. 35 days of food for each of us is waiting to go, if needed. Water and air sealed. Every few years I give them to my son to take campping and make new ones. These with our BOBs are all we need for a long stay away from home.

Don

crashdive123
05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Prepngo - I like the idea of dehydrated meals, but not in my bug out bag. Bug In stores - absolutely. In a bug out situation water to reconstitute may be in short supply.

canid
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
we don't all bug out for the same reasons crash. i bug out sometimes when the need for a vacation overwhelms. in that context, premade dehydrated meals can come in handy aswell. i usualy keep a bag packed for that purpose as well as emergencies.