PDA

View Full Version : Hijacking a Jeep, wirelessly???

tjwilhelm
03-14-2016, 12:49 PM
This seems to be yet one more reason to get an older vehicle and put it into good, reliable, running condition. I found this article a bit disturbing. If you've been thinking about buying a new Jeep, maybe it's time to rethink that goal.

www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Read more: http://survivalbunker.proboards.com/thread/12186/jeeps-hijacked-wirelessly#ixzz42td2X55I

hunter63
03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
That is scary.......bad enough with the "On Star" and all the other stuff....but when a hacker can stop your $50000 vehicle...???

Was at my Ford Dealer week or so ago....getting the spring service.....looking at the window stickers of various cars and trucks.
The PRICES will make you wet your self.....alone but......

They list more internet, sound and on board computer systems on the sticker than standard equipment and options, ....car stuff etc.....????

Seniorman
03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I think I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 that I bought new in 1975. Runs great, is comfortable and easy to work on if necessary. It'll get me in and out of places I camp, hunt, and explore. No nerdy geek with a computer is gonna shut down my rig with a few mouse clicks, either. :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Leanwolf/BillatBWC08.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Leanwolf/media/BillatBWC08.jpg.html)

Nothing like a little fire on a cold night to warm a man's feet.

S.M.

hunter63
03-14-2016, 02:44 PM
I owned a Volkswagen 411 Wagon....long story but was a 1971/72/73.........
Had an early version of electronic fuel injection.

A strong CD signal would cause the motor to cut out....as Iwas running the CB in the car.....but a trucker w/a 1000watt "kicker" could shut me down on the highway....

Ended up wrapping the "brain box" with was in the side panel on the passengers side.....with alum foil and small bubble wrap.
It worked to block the signal.......
Early EMP or just interference?

Nice truck....nice job keeping that way.

kyratshooter
03-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Jeep/Chrysler has been notorious for this for quite some time now, at least 15 years.

Part of it is due to all the computer systems being tied together and linked to the radio, for some ungodly reason. If your CD player locks up you can start having all kinds of strange problems!

The remote lock release operating through the radio allows access to all the other computer functions including the cruise control, so a simple radio signal accesses all the operations.

In turn, when you see the bogus tests of the affect of EMP on vehicles they ALWAYS use the Jeep Grand Cherokee, or some other Chrysler product, as their test model because it does not require a true EMP to shut it down, just a wireless network signal.

LowKey
03-14-2016, 07:15 PM
The part where they use a Samsung burner phone and a laptop and were able to access vehicles all across the country is scarier than being able to disable the jeep they were connected to.
But heaven forbid we make software encryption that can't be hacked like this.

Rick
03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
They will just check the location of your smart phone, go where you are and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR they will look you up on the internet, go your your house and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR They will back trace your phone number, find your address, go to your place and poke holes in your tires. Easy peasy. OR they will hack the firearm database, find where you live, go to your house and steal all your bacon coupons. Yeah, I know. The world it going to heck in a basket.

hunter63
03-14-2016, 09:48 PM
That 1968 Dodge Hemi Power wagon 4 X 4 is looking gooder, and gooder....
(still a nice truck SM)

jaydendyck1
03-15-2016, 11:23 AM
I think I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 that I bought new in 1975. Runs great, is comfortable and easy to work on if necessary. It'll get me in and out of places I camp, hunt, and explore. No nerdy geek with a computer is gonna shut down my rig with a few mouse clicks, either. [emoji106]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Leanwolf/BillatBWC08.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Leanwolf/media/BillatBWC08.jpg.html)

Nothing like a little fire on a cold night to warm a man's feet.

S.M.
We had a 72 just like yours my dad bought it 2 or 3 years old drove it a long time then sold it to his brother who used it on the farm forever. When uncle went to sell the farm I said I wanted the truck, but I had to miss the auction for school. It sold for $400 and not to me either I still think about that truck I think there's probably 5 or 6 kids that learned to drive a stick on her.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

hunter63
03-15-2016, 11:49 AM
I still driving my 1999 Ford F150....
Love that truck, but it does have a onboard computer.

It controls a lot of stuff.
I just had a bad plugwire/coil that showed up on the printout (running rough).

Back a year of so, my dealer was doing the smog emission testing for license plates, (only in 5 counties in south eastern Wisconsin still need it).

Guy says, "I can't get a reading from your computer to my computer....so can't pass it.
Then is was, "Well what the heck am I supposed to do?
Guy says I need a new computer,....bunch of money.....Just to just give them money and get new plates?

This truck is now registered out at "The Place" as that is where it spend most of it's time anyway.....
What a crock of crappola.

I'm getting to really hate this technical stuff.

hunter63
03-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Along the same lines......
Black boxes on your car/truck/motorcycle
Safety vs Privacy.
http://www.cbs58.com/story/31469154/black-boxes-in-cars-and-motorcycles-safety-versus-privacy

The 1968 Power wagon is looking even gooder.....

Seniorman
03-15-2016, 01:10 PM
"...
(still a nice truck SM)"

Thank you. I've tried to take care of it. I only use it for outdoor activities. When I lived in Calif., my wife and I owned a vacation cabin in the southern Sierra on the western slope. It was 150 miles from L.A. Went up there usually 10 or 11 times a year. Drove it to several western States elk, antelope, and deer hunting. It has a 10,000 lb. Reese towing package, although I only used it once to tow a friend's 19' trailer on an antelope hunt. Gem Top steel shell. A 360 V8 engine, auto trans. Two spare tires. If I want I can sleep in the back with no problem. I only have 97,000 miles on it, so expect to get a few more in the future. :yes:

S.M.

Wildthang
03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
I have an 07 Tundra, and although it is a fairly new truck, but it does not have the Toyota connect or any of that stuff, so a hacker would just be out of luck with my truck. It doesn't even have navigation which is the way I like it!

hunter63
03-15-2016, 04:58 PM
The 2008 F 250 Big Red is I the garage most of the time....my "Sunday truck"......mostly over the road....only 54K on that one.
The 1999 has 128K, both were bought new.(Drove a company service truck for 12 years)

They last a long time if you take care of them....and like I said....those older trucks start looking better and better everyday.

The plain jane F-150 crew cab I just looked at had more tech stuff than I have ever seen on a truck.....

Rick
03-15-2016, 05:55 PM
I have an F150 FX4 and I swear that thing is smarter than me. It laughs every time I get behind the wheel. There are more electronics in it than all of NASA used to put a man on the moon. Every once in a while I find a new button, push it and gringe. I think I programmed a time delay self destruct last week but I'm not sure. I can't figure out how I got there in the menu so I can't go back and check.

kyratshooter
03-15-2016, 07:34 PM
I totaled out an F150 back in 2008.

Was amazed when I read the workup of prices for needed repairs.

$4,500 for air bags and seat belts!!!

I remember the amount because that was the amount I paid for a new F150 back in 1975.

Just the airbags and seat belts in the new truck cost more than my complete 1975 4x4 f150.

My little Escape is not up to the present state of the art, but I still have lights I have never seen before appear on the dash readout. I have to google search some of them to find out what they indicate.

LowKey
03-15-2016, 09:20 PM
They are putting so much high tech crap in vehicles these days the prices are going up.
If I wanted to by the same Tacoma I have now, I'd have to pay $10K more than I did in 2010.
Not happening.

Rick, it's only a matter of time before the cellphone becomes an implanted chip in the interests of ''convenience.''
I know a lot of people ready to stand in line for this. Not me.

Rick
03-16-2016, 05:34 AM
I love chips. Probably more than I should. I like the crinkle cut kind better than the plain and some are just too salty. Winnie and I can do fish and chips anytime.

I can't see that ever happening. The FDA would declare it a medical device and then there would be a decades long war between the FDA and the FCC over who has jurisdiction. In the end, both will claim victory and the device manufacturers won't know which set of rules they have to meet. If they meet all the rules then someone will file suit and the FTC will wade in claiming unfair trades practices on the part of the manufactures and the FBI will still be scratching their heads trying to figure out if they can find a backdoor to it. And I don't even want to think about where you'd have to stick the plug to recharge it.

edr730
03-16-2016, 08:42 AM
What Lokey says is all true. What Rick says can be true too. Except i can see it all happening already. Everything is all connected like a puzzle or a spiderweb. Soon groups of kids might be playing games with the chips in there heads. They might be in a room on the dark side so the lights wont bother them. Like television. They will be in closets to. Theyt wont like it when you open the door and let the light in and will screem. They wont wash or eat because the games will be pychologicly addictive. There going to get very very hungry. The super computer could dial them up at any time.

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today. To stop this its all about scrambling the signal. but once that they put the chip in your head it will be too late. you have to take the path untraveled to make a difference. I already made the moves to scrambeled the signals so Im ready. So when you come to a fork in the road take it.

Rick
03-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm taking steps already. I eat a small amount of tin foil each day. I've noticed things are starting to become prepackaged so it must be doing some good. And if I come to a fork in the road, and it's in good shape, I'll take it and use it. Can't have too many forks.

hunter63
03-16-2016, 11:59 AM
I'll stick with Goldschlager Schnapps........Who says heavy metal can't be fun?

kyratshooter
03-22-2016, 08:22 AM
I believe someone in my neighborhood has tapped into the electromagnetic spectrum and killed my Jeep!

It stuttered, died and refuses to run for more than 30 seconds.

I am thinking computer, or fuel pump, or fuel injectors, or battery, or perhaps the passenger side mirror is not adjusted properly.

At least that is what an internet search turned up.

Me and this Cherokee are about to part company! It is at that point where something is going out every time I sit in the driver's seat. I am now on the 180K mark and the value of the rig may not equal the next repair.

My last one made it for 22 years, this one has barely done 20.

They just don't make them like they used too!

crashdive123
03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Me and this Cherokee are about to part company! It is at that point where something is going out every time I sit in the driver's seat.

At least its the Jeep and not a hip.

hunter63
03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
At least its the Jeep and not a hip.

Yeah, No Ship....LOL

So, 20 years would make it about a 96?.....
Yeah, got some electronic stuff on it....but I telling ya, new ones or even newer one are worse......
But the is a limit on how much you can take, and still feel like it will make a long trip....

Still driving the 99 and already had some "computer" problems.....but still going.
When one says "computer" they should just say "BIG but different kind Money"

"Different kind of money" in the respect...that people will complain about a paying$200 bucks for good canvas,...so spend $50 bucks buying and making treatments, to make a $5 buck painters tarp....kinda useful.

Then they drop $500 bucks on a phone, and think nothing of it.

How is the body?......

kyratshooter
03-22-2016, 06:03 PM
This one is a '97 made in late '96, so it has all the goodies the 97-02 models had.

The body is excellent, but the paint has the standard Chrysler problems with the clear coat evaporating from the hood.

Interior is fair, at least not torn, ragged or filled with cigarette burns.

I put a new front suspension under it 18 months ago and did the transmission selector switch change that causes it to appear the ignition is out, and also makes the cruise control go insane and shuts the radio off.

Up until a year ago I was still using it for long road trips pulling the rondy trailer. In fact ZI was driving it the year you guys showed up for the jamboree in NC.

Right now I would not trust it to get me to the end of the lane and it is an all down hill run!

I have the sneaky feeling this is a fuel pump issue. It will start and run for 30 seconds then shut off like it is using all the gas in the fuel line. Then if I wait for a couple of hours it will fire up again, run for 30 seconds and shut off. It the weather holds I might go out and disconnect the fuel line at the injectors and see if I have fuel pressure.

I spent all of today cutting brush for a friend and I am too tired to deal with it now.

That was a good laugh too! Two sedentary old geezers having a contest to see which one would have their heart attack first!

Huge amounts of gasping, gagging, huffing and puffing, and that was before we got started with the work!

natertot
03-23-2016, 02:10 AM
I understand what you guys are going through. My sentra with 185k had the check engine light on last week. I hooked up my reader which revealed a bad gas cap. New one cost $8.99. Then one of the headlights (both of which are factory originals) went out yesterday. New set of bulbs was $27.99. Two repairs in one year has never occurred before, let alone two repairs in a weeks time! Yeesh, I'm telling you, these cars are so problematic these days! :2:

crashdive123
03-23-2016, 05:44 AM
I was at a customer's home yesterday. He has a 66 mustang in the garage. No rust, redone interior and a rebuilt 302. He opened the hood to show me his "new" motor. How refreshing to look into an engine compartment and know what everything was.

He's selling it........tempting, but probably not.

hunter63
03-23-2016, 12:48 PM
He's selling it........tempting, but probably not.

I would lose my drivers license in 10 blocks........If they could catch me.......
It's is kinda sad, when you can finally afford one......and realize it better to just keep wanting....and not have one.
Does that mean you finally grew up?
LOL

NightSG
03-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Part of it is due to all the computer systems being tied together and linked to the radio, for some ungodly reason.

To force you to spend $1500+ on a factory upgrade stereo just to get features that would cost $150-300 for a Pioneer aftermarket one.

Rick
03-23-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm still waiting for the upgrades that print money, sports tickets and pour the drink of your choice from the convenience of your driver's seat. Really waiting on that money thing. My goofy truck has air conditioned seats. It can really freeze your...well...let's just say I keep it turned down.

crashdive123
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I would lose my drivers license in 10 blocks........If they could catch me.......
It's is kinda sad, when you can finally afford one......and realize it better to just keep wanting....and not have one.
LOL

Probably. I was never a huge fan of Mustangs though. Still tempting.......could probably flip it for a profit.

hunter63
03-23-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm a Ford Truck guy....but Corvette car guy.....go figure.....

If I bought the Mustang....In my mind would always be......."DUMAS, for a few bucks more you could have had a Corvette."

kyratshooter
03-24-2016, 11:36 AM
LOL

I remember the "vehicle grow up" moment. It was in the spring of 1982 when I realized my cherished 1968 Mustang was not engineered with two toddlers in mind and I was forced by parenthood to trade it for a Buick Estate Wagon!

I had always claimed I would never own a station wagon, yet there it was!

hunter63
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Mine was in 1968....
Traded in a '65 Plymouth 426 Sport Fury.....for a '67 VW Bug......Could drive all week on $3 bucks instead if 3 miles......for $3 bucks, although slower.

Made formula, diapers, and Dr. visits much more affordable.

Still miss churning up some smoke,.... in the breach box at Great Lakes Dragway.... High 13's low 14's bracket.

kyratshooter
03-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Hey, I just remembered something about my Jeep problem.

The check engine light came on back in 2009, would this be a good time to get a code readout?

Honestly, I think I have narrowed the problem down to a clogged Cat-converter. All the classic symptoms are present.

When it warms up tomorrow I am going to crawl under there with a saws-all and cut the pipe ahead of the converter. If it starts and runs after that it will get a new unit. Stripping off the converter on the Jeeps makes their 02 sensor go nuts and the gas mileage goes to pot.

Rick
03-25-2016, 04:26 PM
You know, it would be a lot easier on you if you found someone that would be willing to steal the converter if it were bad. They will do all the crawling and cutting for you. All you have to do is walk out, turn the ignition and drive to the dealership to have a new one installed.

kyratshooter
03-25-2016, 08:02 PM
No one around here is going to steel a cat-converter. We do not have mandatory testing so lots of folks strip then off. The only reason I will put one back on is due to its link with the fuel injectors and keeping the computer operating properly.

natertot
03-26-2016, 11:03 AM
What Rick is saying is that people steal them for scrap because of the precious metal in them. Even scrap prices range typically 75-100 bucks. On high end cars they can even have a scrap value of over $200. Pretty big issue in Cincinnati, especially for trucks and SUV's where it is easy to slide underneath. They use these wrap around saws that make no noise and can have one removed in under two minutes.

hunter63
03-26-2016, 11:39 AM
What Rick is saying is that people steal them for scrap because of the precious metal in them. Even scrap prices range typically 75-100 bucks. On high end cars they can even have a scrap value of over $200. Pretty big issue in Cincinnati, especially for trucks and SUV's where it is easy to slide underneath. They use these wrap around saws that make no noise and can have one removed in under two minutes.

Now, Kyrat......if you were to stop by that group of guys hanging out the corner.......and offer them $50 bucks, for cutting it off in 2 minutes.
I bet no takers.......LOL.

We were working on a Blood and Plasma donation center in a crappy Milwaukee neighbor hood......replaceinag a walk in freezer the went down to minus 60 C...for plasma.
Big refrigeration unit on the second story roof...assessable from a scuttle/ladder hole thru the inside the roof.

Had the new unit staged on a flat bed truck we brought with us...., met the crane at the site....went up on the roof.
Found the disconnected, drained down, old unit.... with all those copper coils.....was GONE...except the compressor and base.....

We had to make sure the new unit was installed soldered on.... and filled.....before we left that day.
But we couldn't hire anyone to do it.....LOL

Rick
03-26-2016, 12:40 PM
We had a food bank here in Indy that someone stripped the freezer coils out of. Pretty sad. Food and blood for a few bucks. No morals, no empathy. Pretty low. We've even had folks try to scrap manhole covers that were in the street!!

kyratshooter
03-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Doing the math, I can get a new CC for the Jeep for $200.

If the old one is worth $75-$100 I will take it off myself and pay for 1/3-1/2 the cost of the new unit.

Fortunately the 02 censor is plugged into a fitting down the pipe behind the CC so I will not have to mess with that.

The scrap theft situation got so bad in Cinnci that they began requiring a business license to sell scrap metal to salvage. All it did was close the inner city scrap yards and put the homeless can collectors put of business, and force the thieves to the suburban salvage yards outside Hamilton County.

natertot
03-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah they did start requiring business licenses, but only for those scrapping more than $500 a month. Scrapping less than that only requires a show of ID so the honest homeless can still trade in their cans.

It is funny that man hole covers were mentioned. I did catch a guy stealing one last summer. I have al as o had people stealing the copper down spouts off of older buildings. It is an epidemic.