PDA

View Full Version : Baking soda....Old?...Not raising bread?...Long term storage?

hunter63
02-22-2016, 09:03 PM
DW feeling better, made banana bread....didn't raise to her liking....her thinking...baking soda may have been old?

How do y'all store it for long term?.....Of does it just make flat bread from here on out?

LowKey
02-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Baking soda needs an acid to activate and rise... There isn't a lot of acid in a standard banana bread recipe.

I use 2 tsp baking powder in my beener bread. But only a 1/4tsp of soda.

I suppose you could check it by dropping a pinch into a dish of vinegar and seeing if it foams. Can't say I've ever seen it go bad, other than to turn into a rock in the fridge.

Good to hear your DW is feeling better!

canid
03-12-2016, 10:20 AM
yeah, baking soda is pretty stable. baking powder doesn't hold up so well long term.

hunter63
03-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks, will pass that along.

Would be a PITA to have all the stored wheat, and/or flour and not have the other ingredients, viable for bread.

PS....Passed that along to DW, says "Yeah I know, but I was out of baking soda, forgot it on you shopping list, so I used the backing powder, though maybe it work be OK,... Guess not as good as fresh....".

canid
03-12-2016, 07:23 PM
There are a thousand fine flatbreads in the world. Also yeast is everywhere.

finallyME
03-21-2016, 09:52 AM
You guys probably already know this...and Lowkey pretty much explained why....But, baking powder is a mix of baking soda and an acid...usually cream of tartar. Apparently they also put a starch in it to help it be more shelf stable. For long term storage, store baking soda separate from cream of tartar. It will store a lot longer than baking powder.