PDA

View Full Version : Forum life expectancy

rebel
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Have you noticed how some forum members stay around as in life. Some long, some short and for most, somewhere in-between.

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Sometimes that childhood friend's dad gets transfered and moves out of state. Still friends, just not seeing each other as often. When you do get a chance to see each other it's a fun reunion.

trax
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Are you guys like...exploring some unresolved painful childhood memories or what?

rebel
05-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Just wondering where Bragg, Beo and some others have gone.

Rick
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
We've changed the direction of the forum quite a bit from late last year. Guys like Frank and Beo are minimalist and "period" woodsmen whose interests lie much closer to the forum name than many of the threads have been about of late. Native Dude, I'm sure, has gone off the grid again. We probably won't hear from him until later this year. All three (as well as many others) are great assets with tons of experience.

As the spirit of the forum evolves so, too, does the membership. Those who are interested in knapping and fire building are less interested in the economic posts or even the latest high tec gear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the subjects. This is a diverse readership and there seems to be a little here for everyone. But its membership does change as the spirit of the forum evolves.

carpet_ninja
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
just wondering rick, why does every one sometimes call you twinkie

trax
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
It was a nickname he picked up back on the cellblock. You don't want the gritty details youngster, trust me.

carpet_ninja
05-08-2008, 04:13 PM
hahaha, very funny! :)

Rick
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Didn't I shoot or otherwise maim the last person that asked that question?

nell67
05-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Yep,I beLIEve you are right Rick,thats the way I remember it....:eek:

trax
05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Didn't I shoot or otherwise maim the last person that asked that question?

Well, if you used your new .45 the loud bang might have given them a heart attack....:D Other than that I'd say they were perfectly safe.:D

Chris
05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Sometimes people plain get busy, you may have noticed, its May now, birds are chirping, leaves on the trees, people spending more time outdoors.

You'll notice being leaving and coming back all the time, such is a forum.

NorthWindTrails
05-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Exactly ... Chris nailed it on the head. The reason some (myself included) have been popping in to read and not post lately is just precisely that. Cabin fever and all ... It just feels great to get out and ENJOY it all once again. I have learned a great deal from all of you here, and I appreciate the chance to get out and actually USE what I've been learning. Enjoy! NorthWind

rebel
05-09-2008, 03:26 PM
That makes perfect sense about folks getting busy outside. We will have to wait and see what stories they bring back.

ryaninmichigan
05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I am a busy man.

Ridge Wolf
05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
We've changed the direction of the forum quite a bit from late last year. Guys like Frank and Beo are minimalist and "period" woodsmen whose interests lie much closer to the forum name than many of the threads have been about of late. Native Dude, I'm sure, has gone off the grid again. We probably won't hear from him until later this year. All three (as well as many others) are great assets with tons of experience.

As the spirit of the forum evolves so, too, does the membership. Those who are interested in knapping and fire building are less interested in the economic posts or even the latest high tec gear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the subjects. This is a diverse readership and there seems to be a little here for everyone. But its membership does change as the spirit of the forum evolves.

Well said Rick..

Ridge Wolf
05-12-2008, 10:18 AM
just wondering rick, why does every one sometimes call you twinkie

Oh,,, let's not go there and rehash that.. The posts and history of that is (should be) on here somewhere.. :D I respect Rick enough to let this slide.. The fact that I and others had chided him about it (i.e. nickname).. is because we genuinely like Rick. He is probably the most level headed guy on here.. and a good sport besides..

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 08:49 PM
i think you will find that people find this forum and find themselves at home and post away like crazy for about 4 or 5 months then they back way off(except for rick trax and nell, these three are just crazy) then slowly come back some to stay some occasionally, in my personally situaton i purchased an 80 acre homestead, and it takes allot more work than living in the city, just my work day alone with the commute takes up 14 hours of my day and my 3 days off are spent working the land...

Rick
05-24-2008, 08:54 PM
There isn't much else to do in the padded room. It's either this or talk to the rats.

wareagle69
05-24-2008, 08:57 PM
well like i said rick i have been here all most from the begining and you three are the only constants here..

crashdive123
05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but Rick types fast.

Ken
05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Like anything else in life, most of us sometimes get tied up with work or other obligations which result in very little leisure time. I try to keep most of my time productive, and the forum is both fun and informative. If you don't hear from me for a while now and then, it's because something has come up. Time away (no traveling laptops for me) or a family obligation or a long trial (longest was 8 1/2 weeks and almost every workday was 18 - 20 hours). Just like a friend saying "where've you been?" I believe that everyone here will welcome most of us back if we have to take a sabatical.:)

DOGMAN
05-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Well, I am on here alot right now because it is in between seasons for me. Sled dog season is over, and river season has not yet begun. Once river season really gets going- I'll be on here rarely. Then in late August- I may have some time as river season winds down. Then hunting season will start and I'll basically spend 5 weeks in a wilderness area, and then get back and be behind on fall conditioning for the sled dogs- so, my days here as a frequent poster are numbered. However, I will always check in because this place is a great asset

AKS
05-25-2008, 03:00 AM
There isn't much else to do in the padded room. It's either this or talk to the rats.

Exactly, and since I hate rats.....::)

pgvoutdoors
05-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I personally added a temporary second job, this has taken up much of my extra time. I check-in when I can, read more than I post but still enjoy the forum. I'm all behind the forum and wish it all the luck.

nell67
05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
i think you will find that people find this forum and find themselves at home and post away like crazy for about 4 or 5 months then they back way off(except for rick trax and nell, these three are just crazy) then slowly come back some to stay some occasionally, in my personally situaton i purchased an 80 acre homestead, and it takes allot more work than living in the city, just my work day alone with the commute takes up 14 hours of my day and my 3 days off are spent working the land...

Thanks WarEagle...I think,LMAO ,oh who am I kidding,I resemble that remark ,I haven't been on nearly as much the past week and a half,because as a few of you know,my house burned on the 14th. So, I am currently staying with my son,and my time is limited here because the daughter in law likes her computer time too,but I get on when I can,just not when I'd like to be on.:(

Ken
05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Really sorry to hear that, Nell!:(:(:(

commoguy
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM
what ken said thats a shame

rebel
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your home Nell. Did you loose everything? How did it happen? Is there anything we can do to help?

WE. Thanks for the insight. This forum stuff is new to me. It's always changing.

nell67
05-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Thanks guys,yes I lost everything in the house,the fire itself was contained to the kitchen,(grease fire).The rest of the house is a total loss from the heat and smoke damage,No hun,nothing you guys can do,should hear from the insurance guy this week.

On the up side,if it had happened at night while asleep,there would have been plenty of time to get out of the house,(barring being overcome from smoke)as it took the fire dept almost an hour to arrive,and the air tightness of the home kept the fire contained to the kitchen.

Riverrat
05-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that, Good luck with getting things back in order.

trax
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
i(except for rick trax and nell, these three are just crazy)

Bro! My feelings are hurt, I'm at the office man, if I'm not doing this I have to actually do some **shudder** work! (there I said the word, I didn't like it but it had to be done)

crashdive123
05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Bro! My feelings are hurt, I'm at the office man, if I'm not doing this I have to actually do some **shudder** work! (there I said the word, I didn't like it but it had to be done)

In that case, you may be the only sane one on the forum.

trax
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
In that case, you may be the only sane one on the forum.

oh no, that is waaaay too much responsibility.

Sam Reeves
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
It's approaching summer and TDW is a river rat. She forces me to take her canoing and kayaking down these mountain streams. As my health improves I'll be outside more and in front of a computer less. I hope.

DOGMAN
10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Whatever happened to that "Ken" guy? He put up like a thousand post in a week then disappered.

Rick
10-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Well, I think he disappeared.

crashdive123
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Yep - looks like he's disappeared.........just like the lobsters.

Sarge47
10-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, I've been on a lot longer than Rick. Although I don't post as much, I do browse the posts 3-4 times a day, usually. I'm a veteran of both the "Heathen Chinee Sambot" war as well as the TBWN war. Some Wolves do return to the pack from time to time, like DEET. Although I DO miss Foggy, Survival Hike, & Smok, just to name a few. However, Brad, Adrian, & TheFreakinBear can stay away forever for all of me.:rolleyes:

crashdive123
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Sarge - you just missed Smok - I think he was on the other day.

Ole WV Coot
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Time to get ready for winter. Vehicles and other stuff with motors, wood stacked, chimney & stove to clean, fighting with insurance co. over a hail damaged roof, dropped stove on big toe, tore rotor cuff, still looking for small pistol. That's enough, worked myself into a nap.