PDA

View Full Version : Fire Cracker

Chicago Dan
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I ran into a kit list on another site that included something that just boggles me: 1-Firecracker.

I can't for the live of me see the value of this addition but then again maybe I'm missing something. If you carry such or see the value there of please fill me in.

Firecrackers can be "unraveled" if my childhood memory serves me and be used as a fire starter like magnesium but drawbacks are substantial:

1. They are illegal in many parts of the country(they are explosive and possibly dangerous-duh). Injured finger is not something I want to add to my survival situation.
2. Are easily ruined by water(even high humidly).
3. Can be dipped in something like wax(to make a mess in your kit) or silicone(another step before use) but why not just use magnesium.
etc. etc.

About all I can think of value would be:

1. To celebrate 4th while waiting to be rescued.
2. "Go out with a Bang" if you know the end it near.

nell67
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
To scare off critters that you don't want hanging around??
As a signal for rescue? thats about all I could think of them being useful for:confused:

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah. Signaling, fire starter (I wouldn't carry them for that purpose), scaring off critters. I wonder if they were intended to be used like the bear bangers that Bragg and others posted about.

klkak
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I could see where a "Seal bomb" could be useful for stunning fish. A Seal bomb is like a really big firecracker that works when wet. You can tie it to a rock and drop in a small body of water. I reckon that is illegal though.

Sam Reeves
05-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I could see where a "Seal bomb" could be useful for stunning fish. A Seal bomb is like a really big firecracker that works when wet. You can tie it to a rock and drop in a small body of water. I reckon that is illegal though.

If I am not mistaken you are allowed to do just about anything in a "survival situation" for the sake of self perseverance.

I have no idea why anybody would pack a firecracker in a survival kit, though.

MMonette
05-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree with sam, If they prosecute you then you've been rescued

Ridge Wolf
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I ran into a kit list on another site that included something that just boggles me: 1-Firecracker.

I can't for the live of me see the value of this addition but then again maybe I'm missing something. If you carry such or see the value there of please fill me in.

Firecrackers can be "unraveled" if my childhood memory serves me and be used as a fire starter like magnesium but drawbacks are substantial:

1. They are illegal in many parts of the country(they are explosive and possibly dangerous-duh). Injured finger is not something I want to add to my survival situation.
2. Are easily ruined by water(even high humidly).
3. Can be dipped in something like wax(to make a mess in your kit) or silicone(another step before use) but why not just use magnesium.
etc. etc.

About all I can think of value would be:

1. To celebrate 4th while waiting to be rescued.
2. "Go out with a Bang" if you know the end it near.

Now, I didn't read any responses to this post.. but I can say that a good reason to have one.. (and keep it dry)..

1. If you have fallen down a ravene and you hear rescuers or other people nearby... you might be able to light it off and alert them as to your location.

2. If dry, it can be unravelled and the gun powder used to ignite dry tinder.

3. It might possibly be used to scare off a mountain lion, bear, lynx/bobcat or wolverine especially if you can't move from your location.

Personally, if I were in an actual survival situation.. my phylosophy is: Damn the torpedoes.. That is that the regulations can be thrown out the window.

Rick
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Of course your pocket cannon can do all three as well.

Omid
05-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I actually think its a good idea. There unbelieveably cheap.
They make good noise and the ones that go up go UP.

Rick
05-07-2008, 07:50 AM
So if we hear a sharp report followed by an anguished cry of pain while we're in the woods should we consider that it's you and all is well? Or, if we hear nothing but the rain should we consider that your gunpowder is wet and you didn't get a fire going?

Hey, just kidding, Omid. I'd check on you.;)

Ole WV Coot
05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Cheep gun if you can find a piece of any kinda pipe. Back in my younger, slightly dumber days we would stop up the end of a 1" pipe and cut a touchhole in it, drop the firecracker in and fish the fuse thru the hole then drop in a marble, ball bearing, pea gravel down the end, point it in the general direction and light the fuse. Shoots hard if you kinda load it like any front loader. I need to write a book on improvised weapons and what to drink to get the nerve to use them but I'm too good lookin' to go to jail.

canid
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
i got run out of michigan for making canons and other such toys. that used to be the kind of thing that just made some of the older people slightly nervous but boys will be boys right? now it's terrorism...

Rick
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
"Chief, we found this printout in the boy's hand. It's charred a bit from the blast."
"What's this say? I can't quite make it out."
"Old WV Coot".
"Him again? How many innocent young kids is he going to maim?"
"We also found this at the scene."
"A fruit jar? Call Dwight Schrute. I want him on this case!"

Ole WV Coot
05-07-2008, 10:23 PM
"Chief, we found this printout in the boy's hand. It's charred a bit from the blast."
"What's this say? I can't quite make it out."
"Old WV Coot".
"Him again? How many innocent young kids is he going to maim?"
"We also found this at the scene."
"A fruit jar? Call Dwight Schrute. I want him on this case!"

You forgot he couldn't call for help. Poison Ivy had his throat swollen shut. Some dastardly person must have talked him into eating it.:D:D

Alpine_Sapper
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow...talk about a field expedient zip gun...firecrackers and marbles....Just get the plans from the poor mans james bond and you can make a zip gun that may hold up to more than one shot. Or you can always just duct tape a shotgun shell to a hammer.

dilligaf2u2
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Ole WV Coot The army beat you too it! Improvised Munitions TM 31-210

Good book to have if TSHTF!

Don

Ole WV Coot
05-08-2008, 05:07 PM
And just where do you think the army got the idea? I would tell but I would have to turn in my official Redneck card.

Rick
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the Army has a Top Secret manual titled Cootism. Words to Survive By TM 00-00 Buck.