PDA

View Full Version : Boxed wine makes good survival sense

rebel
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
We finished a box of wine the other day and I was thinking there must be other uses for the bag. So, I think it would make good sense to take a box of wine on the next camping trip w/ the Mrs. After it was finished you would have the uses of the box and bag available.

The box: Storage, fire, transport, etc.

The 5 liter bag ( they make smaller): Some are reflective so, signaling. Water, shower. Painted black a warm shower. Blow it up for a pillow or flotation devise.

I think the bag with the twist spout would be better than the push button for the other uses.

I'm sure there are more and maybe this has already been covered in another thread or post.

Anyway, enjoy. I did!

Sourdough
05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=rebel;45104]We finished a box of wine the other day and I was thinking there must be other uses for the bag. So, I think it would make good sense to take a box of wine on the next camping trip w/ the Mrs. After it was finished you would have the uses of the box and bag available.

Anybody know the shelf life of boxed wine. If it had a long shelf life why not just put 50 boxes in the cellar.......Taste better than water.......?

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Wait just a doggone minute.........are you guys saying that they make wine in containers with other than a twist of top?????????? Man.....some of the other posts must be right...we're doomed.

Rick
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Rebel, you cad. You just want to get her drunk.

rebel
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I remember a survey that was taken of some folks who were married for 50+ years. When asked how they managed to stay married for so long the predominant answer was alcohol.

klkak
05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Better living through chemicals.

"la la la, The girls all get prettier at closing time, la la la"

trax
05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Better living through chemicals.

I'm pretty sure I've got that tattooed on me somewhere, if I don't I should.

Ole WV Coot
05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
MD 20/20 in a box? All flavors? Just think wine sold in it's own barf box !!! No more trying to remember which direction to twist the lid !!! The person who thunk that up is gonna get rich. I can stock my wine cellar without worrying about breaking those Mason jars !!! I ain't been this happy since I got Thunderbird for my birthday !!!

rebel
05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
MD 20/20 in a box? All flavors? Just think wine sold in it's own barf box !!! No more trying to remember which direction to twist the lid !!! The person who thunk that up is gonna get rich. I can stock my wine cellar without worrying about breaking those Mason jars !!! I ain't been this happy since I got Thunderbird for my birthday !!!

Yea! I'd like to see "Coot's, good for what ails ya" in a box.

The whole world could relax a little.

Kinda sounds like a commercial.

Chicago Dan
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Actually I thought the same thing several years ago. The bag is really durable and the valve of decent construction. Problem I had/have is that like milk cartons etc. there is really no way to clean/sterilize the bag and plastic tap to my satisfaction. Also recently the whole polycarbonate BPA leaching has me really concerned to heat up any plastic. If anyone has some good ideas I'm all ears.
One method might be to use food grade sanitizer of the kind used in wine/beer making but I'm not sure that would work on soft plastic.
Anyhoo Good idea if we can figure out some of the sanitation issues.
I look at it and see some potential and hate to see it go to waste(after wine consumption of course) and I also need to find some excuse that will fly by the wife to keep buying it.;)

Mountaintrekker
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Boxed wine is great! You don't have to chase it down the hill when you fall off your log! :)

rebel
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Boxed wine is great! You don't have to chase it down the hill when you fall off your log! :)

Dang! A voice of experience. I like it!

Ole WV Coot
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Yea! I'd like to see "Coot's, good for what ails ya" in a box.

The whole world could relax a little.

Kinda sounds like a commercial.

A box? Never happen, it would need to be lead lined. My white "wine" etches the inside of a Mason jar now and you don't need to worry about fallin' off a log. One snort and you will be on your back thinking you're fallin' off the ground. The ole dog lapped up a drop and curled up, licked himself and is now neutered.:eek:

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds like Granny's Magic Elixer.:D

Rick
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm writing this stuff down. Thousands of years from now they will find my tablet deep in the recesses of some cave. Cootisms to Live By. Who knows, it may even start a new religion. Cooters would be high priests. Cooties the general mass. One priest would ask the other. You have any cooties? Hundreds every week, he'll respond.