PDA

View Full Version : Backorder on storage foods

rebel
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I went to a storage food supply site and everyone of the year supply packages were on backorder.

I don't know if this is because of certain items not being available. I don't know if the other supply companies are in the same boat.

Just makes you go, (?).

Sourdough
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
This is AMERICA, things just get gooder and gooder. Prices of food will be dropping soon, there will be free food set on everyones doorstep. Wages will go up, and everything your want to buy will be cheaper day after day. Do not buy more food than you can eat today, the government will take care of you. Gasoline will be back to $1.13 per gallon very soon. FEMA will see to your every need. Go back to sleep America. And please buy U.S. Dollars, it is the American thing to do..........:eek:

Chuck
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm here?

wildWoman
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Why not just stock up on normal food at the grocery store? It's all we do, and some of the rice, dry goods and canned food we've had for a couple years by now.

Sourdough
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm here?

Chuck, I was up valley from you yesterday, Up at Petersville. We were hauling freight into Safari Lake, at least we were till the last snow bridge collapsed. At 62 I learned a sore lesson about riding with a Iron dog and Arctic man competitor, half my age......:(

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Rebel, what kind of food were you looking for. WildWoman makes a great point - if you stock up on stuff that you normally use that can be stored you can build your stores slowly if you desire (not as painful in the pocket book sometimes). It's food you normally eat. You can rotate it to ensure you supply is always good. If you spend $10,000 on a pallat of freeze dried or some other type of food that you normally don't eat, it is more expensive, may not taste as good, and you will eventually have to either consume it or throw it out.

rebel
05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Rebel, what kind of food were you looking for. WildWoman makes a great point - if you stock up on stuff that you normally use that can be stored you can build your stores slowly if you desire (not as painful in the pocket book sometimes). It's food you normally eat. You can rotate it to ensure you supply is always good. If you spend $10,000 on a pallat of freeze dried or some other type of food that you normally don't eat, it is more expensive, may not taste as good, and you will eventually have to either consume it or throw it out.

I did that a couple of times. However, the DW likes to give it away when the church has a food drive. Plus, if it's dehydrated or bulk containers then it would be lighter and easier to transport.

crashdive123
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
OK - cool. Here's a source. http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=147_148_331&osCsid=683abeb29ecb7f645ed3bf93b35ab1d3 I have purchased quite a bit from these guys (not in the quantities that you are looking for) and have never been disappointed.

rebel
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks. got it. Hey if your interested, in every area there are places that buy and sell dented canned items. They pick up the cans for cents on the dollar because it is illegal to sell the cans in a grocery store. The reason being is, the can could have been compromised and then botulism. Well, If you can't tell when you open the can if it has been exposed then you've lost your sense of smell. Usually you are able to pick up these items for about half the cost. By the way, I've never had a bad can.

Rick
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I would think the dripping would be a give away that the can had been compromised when they sort through them.

dilligaf2u2
05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
The experts in long term food storage (IE: Mormon's) Say store extra of what you eat. The idea of 180 cans of Mountain House sitting around and not knowing if it is palatable to my taste buds does not thrill me.

Once you have a 6 month supply of what you eat. Start on 6 months supply of the basics. Various Beans, Rice, Noodles and Sugar. Don't forget to get a lot of Bacon! Once the stocks of those are up, work on spices. Then Jello and deserts.

Don

Rick
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't know, Don. I'm afraid if I had to bug out with 500 pounds of jello in my truck all that jigglin' would shake it to pieces.

Ridge Wolf
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks. got it. Hey if your interested, in every area there are places that buy and sell dented canned items. They pick up the cans for cents on the dollar because it is illegal to sell the cans in a grocery store. The reason being is, the can could have been compromised and then botulism. Well, If you can't tell when you open the can if it has been exposed then you've lost your sense of smell. Usually you are able to pick up these items for about half the cost. By the way, I've never had a bad can.

Those are called frieght damage outlets.. Happens everytime a truck driver has a wreck or for some other reason the goods in the semi topple over and get dented. Take it from an old truck driver like myself.. it happens quite frequently and there are really good deals if you know what to look for.

dilligaf2u2
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Rick I am not a big fan of the bug our philosophy! I moved to this area because there are no reported tornado's, hurricane, floods, volcano's or earth quakes in this area.

I can just see Rick! But officer the jello load started wiggling and it felt so good, I just could not stop my truck before tipped over. Heres a spoon! Help me clean this mess up would you?

Don

Rick
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
You in a heap of trouble now, boy!

prepngo
05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Pick up a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. With the growing season upon us, plant a garden. Dehydrate the bounty from the garden. Dehydrated food is lightweight and easily rehydrates with water that you would need for your daily water intake. You can get a great deal of food put up that is light enough to take on a bug out.

Rick
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the forum prpngo. We have several threads on dehydrators. You can pull them up with the search engine. Just plug in dehyrator.

Why not evaporate over to the Introduction section and tell us a little about you.

Ridge Wolf
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I went to a storage food supply site and everyone of the year supply packages were on backorder.

I don't know if this is because of certain items not being available. I don't know if the other supply companies are in the same boat.

Just makes you go, (?).

I don't know what their in stock is like but you may want to try this one...

http://www.azurestandard.com/index.php

Rick
05-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Prepngo - I see you use the 5 tray Excalibur. I just purchased one. That thing is sure sweet. No complaints at all.

Ken
05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I've tried a sampling of most of what's out there and I still go with MREs as the best option for a 3-6 month supply. Yeah, a little pricey, but you can skip the complete pack and go with just the main entree if you want. The things last forever as long as you don't leave them on your dashboard baking in the sun for months. I have mine stored at around 65 degrees. I opened one last summer and it was fine - I bought it in 1999.