PDA

View Full Version : What should he have done?

tallgrass
01-03-2016, 09:29 AM
A great example of not being prepared. Was he let down by the adult he was with? I think so.

A great teaching moment for the novice to learn from. What would you do out in the bitter cold at night? Yes i agree that it should have never got this far

911 Calls Show Lost Utah Teenager's Fight for Survival

Brayden Neilson, 14, and a friend went duck hunting in northwestern Utah when Neilson got lost last Saturday. Instead of heading to the car, he mistakenly walked deeper and deeper into the wilderness.

In one of the 911 calls, Neilson could be heard saying: “I don't feel good. I feel like I'm gonna pass out.”

http://abcnews.go.com/US/911-calls-show-lost-utah-teenagers-fight-survival/story?id=36055046

hayshaker
01-03-2016, 11:48 AM
heading back to the vehicle would have undoubtily increased his chances for survival.
this is why we here at WSF always carry a winter survival loadout. example had he had a loadout well we really dont know for sure the vehicle could still be used as a base of operations till help arived.

hunter63
01-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I think the telling comment is his own admission, that he should have carried more survival gear...at least a way for fire.

He was dressed for the weather.....and by staying put, next to a fire...with a warm cell phone....may have help him out and make him easier to find.

Hard to say....Unless you were there, in his position.....the coulda, shoulda, woulda are endless.

Glad it turned out OK.

tallgrass
01-03-2016, 12:28 PM
heading back to the vehicle would have undoubtily increased his chances for survival.
this is why we here at WSF always carry a winter survival loadout. example had he had a loadout well we really dont know for sure the vehicle could still be used as a base of operations till help arived.

IRRC He was trying to go back to the truck and went the wrong way. I guess he should have had a handheld GPS also. I think there are some off line GPS apps for telephones.

hunter63
01-03-2016, 12:39 PM
I think there is more to this story then is presented......

natertot
01-03-2016, 01:27 PM
I agree hunter. Hopefully, the lessons are learned and they won't make the same mistake twice. Maybe even a few will learn from them. We'll see.

tallgrass
01-03-2016, 05:15 PM
A danger to rely on electronic tools only. He could drop it and still been in the same mess. Yes i also wonder how they got separated.After you ave walked more distance then you walked together then most will catch on.

LowKey
01-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Compass. In. Compass. Out.

There are any number of iPhone or Android apps for off-road GPS location. Might have needed his credit card though. Most people do have their wallet with them, right?

kyratshooter
01-03-2016, 07:15 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that this is a 14 year old kid.

After teaching 14 year old kids for a few years I can attest that most if them do not have enough sense to shoo flies or wipe their own butts. I have seen 14 year olds get lost between the classroom and the crapper because they saw something shiny on the floor.

The kid wound up in the situation he was due to being a 14 year old dumb a$$.

How do you prevent it? You pound into the kid that if he gets lost sit tight and build a fire. You did bring a lighter, right? No? Well I have an extra. No I do not care if your mom doesn't think you are old enough to have one! Now what do you do if you get lost? No you do not walk toward the sun, you sit tight and build a fire, now repeat that to me five times!

LowKey
01-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Most 14 year old kids these days have been downloading apps for at least 8 of those 14 years. All he probably had to do was ask the phone, "what do I do when lost in the woods?" and it would tell him.

But you're right. I work with grown men who get lost between their work station and the crapper all the time.

finallyME
01-04-2016, 03:39 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that this is a 14 year old kid.

After teaching 14 year old kids for a few years I can attest that most if them do not have enough sense to shoo flies or wipe their own butts. I have seen 14 year olds get lost between the classroom and the crapper because they saw something shiny on the floor.

The kid wound up in the situation he was due to being a 14 year old dumb a$$.

How do you prevent it? You pound into the kid that if he gets lost sit tight and build a fire. You did bring a lighter, right? No? Well I have an extra. No I do not care if your mom doesn't think you are old enough to have one! Now what do you do if you get lost? No you do not walk toward the sun, you sit tight and build a fire, now repeat that to me five times!

If you give a 14 year old a lighter, make sure that he practices a few times before you leave him. Chances are, you will need to teach him how to use it..... trust me on this one. You will also have to teach him how to use it to start a fire....
There are no trees in Northwestern Utah. He would have to use dead sage brush to start a fire. There are lots around...but most would have been covered in snow, and green sage brush is hard to distinguish from dead ones.

If it was my kid, I would have him sit tight and light a fire. A GPS coordinate on his phone, that he then tells the dispatcher would have been ideal.