PDA

View Full Version : Rx for survival kits

zadig39
07-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm new here so if this has been discussed please indulge. I think a strong antibiotic and pain killer would be a good addition to any survival kit. Whats available without a perscription? Will a doc perscribe with the understanding that its for emergency use only?

owl_girl
07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic antifungal antiparasitic antiviral and its safe enough for babies, its also what the solders used for there feet in Vietnam. Though you should dilute it in some other oil before application because its so concentrated.

Rocky789
07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I always carry triple antibiotic ointment, also honey works as a antibiotic, but if you want to go with some strong stuff get some silvadene and a good medical course to train you how to best use what you have. Silvadene is really good treatment for bacterial or fungus infections, but some people are allergic to it.

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Iodine is good as an antiseptic, plus a few drops in a canteen of river water will kill any parasites.

zadig39
07-22-2007, 03:36 PM
What about penicillin or something along those lines for internal use.

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
What about penicillin or something along those lines for internal use.

Penicillin is available only when prescribed by a doctor and there are various types of it, not to mention that some people are highly allergic to it.

zadig39
07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I understand. Just looking for options. A debiltating illness in a survival situation would be the worst of the worst. I would hate for a toothache,sinus infection,etc to make a bad situation tragic.

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I understand. Just looking for options. A debiltating illness in a survival situation would be the worst of the worst. I would hate for a toothache,sinus infection,etc to make a bad situation tragic.

One of the best things I've found for the things you've mentioned is a real strong (about 1000mg.) vitimin "C" with bio-flavinoids. They've kept the flu away from me. And don't sell the Tea Tree Oil short either. Oil of Cloves is good for a toothache.

donny h
07-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Whats available without a perscription? Will a doc perscribe with the understanding that its for emergency use only?

IF you have a regular doctor, and he knows you're not drug seeking, he MIGHT be convinced to write you a prescription, but the FDA has docs against the ropes these days, my doc relative wouldn't write me one for painkillers, but she would for antibiotics, which led to this discovery:

Good antibiotics (cipro) have a short shelf life, and cost a lot, making them impractical for a first aid kit.

If you really need some, the antibiotic tetracycline is sold for animals, and is easy to get. Due diligence on your part if you go this route.

I keep painkillers in my kit, I get them from a family member, and swap them for fresh ones every few months. This is blatantly illegal, but we gotta do what we gotta do. I hide them on the bottom of a bottle of ibuprofen.

Another way is to keep painkillers prescribed to yourself from dental work or something, tell the doc you have a low pain tolerance, and that pain stresses you out, then save the pills, and just deal with the dental pain, have a whiskey or something, but save the pills. Once the prescription expires, they are illegal to posess, so hide them deep.

There are docs that prescribe meds for expeditions, but they won't do it for simple generic reasons, they will do it for a specific trip to a specific place, with start and end dates.

Online drugs are mostly a scam, don't go that route. Counterfeits galore.

Codiene is over the counter in Canada. Don't get caught bringing it back.

What's available over the counter in the US? Not a single antibiotic, and no decent pain meds.

Silvadine is good stuff, it's the only treatment worth a damn on burns, but you need a prescription, due to the aforementioned allergies. It's sulpha that some folks react to in Silvadene, be careful with triple ointment, it also has sulphides, if you're allergic to one you're allergic to the other. Use bacitracin instead of triple if in doubt.

owl_girl
07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
The problem with antibiotics is thy only deal with bacteria, and if you over use them the bacteria become immune. I’d go with something natural so that the bacteria won’t be as likely to become immune, and go with something that deals with more then just bacteria. Thats why it’s a good idea to look up herbs and oils. Another good oil I hear is pine tree. Its also an antifungal, antibiotic, and antiviral and its overall detoxifying.

zadig39
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I'll have to learn more about natural stuff. The tetracycline I think is a good idea. As for the painkillers I'll get what I can when I can,and keep that bottle of vodka handy.For medical purposes of course.:)

nell67
07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
"and keep that bottle of vodka handy.For medical purposes of course."

LOL!! Works for me!

trax
07-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Alcohol is one of the worst things you can use in the situations you're talking about. It thins the blood, affecting body temperature, impairs the judgement and often negates the effectiveness of any other meds you might have to use, about the only thing it's good for is a disinfectant if you have an open wound to clean.

trax
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Gee I wonder why hospital emergency rooms still insist on using alcohol for everything from cleaning wounds to cleaning and storing surgical tool then...hmmm, let's see killing the germs that cause the infection is not ..disinfecting?...well, thanks for clearing that up

zadig39
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
O.K. gotcha. But the vodka stays.

BillHay
07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Many books have the solutions your looking for. Our native Americans did not have the luxury of "prescribed medications". Do your homework... the answers you seek are tens of thousands of years old...

Sarge47
07-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Check out Cody Lindun's book: "98.6...you know the rest.

zadig39
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, looks like I'll be doing some reading and research. Guess there's no easy answer for this one.

trax
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
so....zadig39 keeps the vodka and I'm stuck with a nasty zit, ah well. That was quite the lesson in medical processes there, wow, thanks. I had no clue, I may have one once I get past the big words,:confused: but if I get a boo-boo and there's nothing but booze around, I'm still splashing some on there.:D

I agree totally with Billy Hay, by the way, I've had the great good fortune to have a Cree elder teach me a lot of traditional medicines but there's many many more I still don't know.

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm new here so if this has been discussed please indulge. I think a strong antibiotic and pain killer would be a good addition to any survival kit. Whats available without a perscription? Will a doc perscribe with the understanding that its for emergency use only?

It is easier to get a doc to write a scrip for antibiotics than for painkillers. Truth be told, most of what you will need is in your local pharmacy:

Triple antibiotic
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Napraxen Sodium
Bleach (unscented)
Peroxide
Alcohol
Iodine

If you need more than that, bear the pain and crawl out, signaling everything that moves!

HOP
08-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I think antibiotics is a good idea fortreating many infections mostly internal just try to get one with a broad spectrum of things it is effective on. One of the over counter pain tablets that also help with fever would be good. With wounds clean good hot soapy water and then disenfect with some thing like betadine and then a good antibiotic ointment and a well apllied dressing and repeat this often. Isophropal alcahol does kill germs but also kills live tissue that is why it burns so 40 years ago it was the most common disenfect for giving shots.