PDA

View Full Version : Baytown, Texas checking in

zadig39
07-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Living here in the hurricane and flood prone gulf coast of Texas I thought I might pick up a few tips here.

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Living here in the hurricane and flood prone gulf coast of Texas I thought I might pick up a few tips here.

Howdy & hello stranger, given where you're from we might pick up some pointers from you! By the way, we have a couple of your compadres around here somewhere.

zadig39
07-22-2007, 03:40 PM
The best tip I have for anyone in this area is MOVE! And yes,I plan on heeding my own advice in the next couple of years.

nell67
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

adeboer
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Zadig-

Also my first post here!! I moved to NW Arkansas from Baytown in Jan 06. After that nightmare evac out of town during the Rita scare, we decided we'd had enough! Not a bad choice. I am now working for a handmade custom knife maker and learning a thing or two about survival from my customers. Thought this forum might be educational!

So hello everyone ;-)

Alicia

zadig39
07-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Grats on finding such a killer job, and getting out of "ol Dirty Bay". Me and my wife have decided to move before her son gets to high school, but haven't decided were.

wareagle69
07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
. I am now working for a handmade custom knife maker and learning a thing or two about survival from my customers. Thought this forum might be educational!

So hello everyone ;-)

Alicia[/QUOTE]

so what do i look for in a quality knife?

oops sorry to be rude but welcome

adeboer
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks zadig, my kids are middle school age. I have heard a story or two about the high school there. Best of luck to you finding somewhere to relocate. After a small bout of culture shock, I have grown used to Arkansas. Just traded the Exxon air for Tyson air. :) Here there is a lot to do as far as the outdoors are concerned. Everyone says it is cheaper than Houston but I beg to differ!!

WarEagle- you ask what to look for in a quality knife. Keeping in mind that a knife is a CUTTING TOOL ,the main three things you want to look for are :

1. Quality of steel
2. Quality of the heat treat
3. Functionability of the design

All other things are purely cosmetic. Alot of our knives are made with Micarta handles. You can slap on some high dollar Ivory or Mammoth scales but it's like "putting lipstick on a mule" Bob says. The Micarta is almost indestructible.

The Blade Forums (www.bladeforums.com) is a good place to get unbiased feedback. The people that use knives in the field can give you the best advice. Hope I answered your question :)