PDA

View Full Version : Shemagh and thoughts on them...

richbat
09-12-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs and I am completely aware of their meanings and uses but,what I'd like to know is your thoughts on wearing them out and about,say hiking,hunting and so on,do you feel other people who see you with them and using them and so on look down upon you,kinda like some people look down upon anyone who doesn't buy USA made items? Seems with everything that's going on nowadays this might not be such a good idea to be seen with these or am I just worrying about something stupid? To me all they are is a cloth with many uses,to others,well maybe not...

crashdive123
09-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I occasionally use one while camping. My main purpose for them is relief from the heat. I have found however that some synthetic material that does a much better job for what I use it for. I think I picked them up at Lowe's. I use them often while working outside all day and they don't cause a second glance. http://www.missionathletecare.com/products/enduracool-multi-cool?variant=768374277

Quite frankly I don't give two hoots if somebody "looks down on me" for my clothing or purchasing habits. That's their problem, not mine.

DSJohnson
09-12-2015, 12:28 PM
To me they are just another piece of cloth.

richbat
09-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the replies as of this far.

Sarge47
09-12-2015, 12:50 PM
I bought two of them, the 2nd one after using the 1st. they keep your head warm while sleeping in a sleeping bag. While driving my bus last year during the frigid winter cold, I wore one as did another driver. Here's some good info on it from my good friend Creek Stewart:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/?s=shemagh

:cool2:

richbat
09-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Sarge very nice site link you posted.Thank you

Rick
09-12-2015, 01:37 PM
I also have shamaghs and similar head wear. I'm way too old to worry about what other's think of my clothing habits. Heck, I'm lucky if my socks match.

Hadn't see that, Crash. That's great. I have a couple of their towels and they work very well.

Good site, Sarge.

richbat
09-12-2015, 02:54 PM
So can anyone recommend a good maker of the shemagh,seems some are pretty cheaply made with very loose weave.

LowKey
09-12-2015, 03:03 PM
The site Crash posted has well made shemaghs.
I don't wear them, but a lot of the guys at work do. They call em Dew Rags, not shemaghs.

Batch
09-12-2015, 04:13 PM
I have 3 shemaghs.

I also have one of the Mission multi-cools.

A half dozen or so Salt Armour face shields. http://www.sateam.company/

I have worn buffs for a long time and have probably another half dozen of those. http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear/high-uv-protection-buff

When I first started wearing these at work I was wondering what people would think. But, all of the guys at work that tried them started wearing them also. Never noticed anyone seem concerned.

Sarge47
09-12-2015, 04:43 PM
So can anyone recommend a good maker of the shemagh,seems some are pretty cheaply made with very loose weave.

I bought two of these the same pattern as shown. My wife has two and my son one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VRXH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

:euro:

richbat
09-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Well ordered 3 from Rothco,thanks again folks.

randyt
09-12-2015, 07:29 PM
I use a USGI cotton scarf. It measures 72" by 24", brown cotton.

NightSG
09-12-2015, 09:11 PM

Loose weave is a feature. Cheaply made is pretty much the idea; you're talking about something that has been worn by every social class in a part of the world where poor goes way beyond any definition we're familiar with.

I keep two in the car year 'round. Dry, they'll keep you warm. Damp, they make a huge difference on a hot day. Either way, when you've got 2-4 layers over your mouth and nose you're not going to be breathing so much dust.

Faiaoga
09-12-2015, 09:29 PM
I also have shamaghs and similar head wear. I'm way too old to worry about what other's think of my clothing habits. Heck, I'm lucky if my socks match.

Hadn't see that, Crash. That's great. I have a couple of their towels and they work very well.

Good site, Sarge.

I am not too familiar with the shemagh, but I can see where they would be very useful as a utility item for many purposes - towel, neck wrapping, sun shade and so on.

A similarly useful item is the cotton wraparound cloth used by Polynesians as clothing, privacy shield when bathing, clothing when working outdoors - the pareu, sarong or "ie lavalava" (Samoan term) I am surprised that this item is not mentioned as a useful item when backpacking or hiking - it can be use as a sunshade, a towel, a seat when on sand or the ground. It is also cool when worn in tropical or desert areas. If anyone asks about your wearing this, just explain that Rick brought back this fashion trend from Swains Island. :devil2:

A simple rectangular piece of cotton cloth (about 6 feet by 3 feet), the lavalava is very useful and can perform many functions.

Rick
09-13-2015, 02:18 AM
Well I was forced to wear something. The leoleo was getting too many complaints about nightmares.

TXyakr
09-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Loose weave is a feature. Cheaply made is pretty much the idea; you're talking about something that has been worn by every social class in a part of the world where poor goes way beyond any definition we're familiar with.

I keep two in the car year 'round. Dry, they'll keep you warm. Damp, they make a huge difference on a hot day. Either way, when you've got 2-4 layers over your mouth and nose you're not going to be breathing so much dust.

I agree with this you don't necessarily need to over pay for them unless you want a particular print pattern or something.

A balaclava for the purpose of staying warm over night may be very different. Some of these are very expensive but the synthetic material ones sold at Army/Navy stores work fairly well down a ways below freezing. Way below 0F if I am sitting still in a deer blind or on a lake I prefer real wool or animal fur.

So what you are looking for is very thin cotton for hot weather, that "should not be expensive". Made in India is OK with me, millions are.

LowKey
09-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Batch, those face shields look pretty cool. I've never seen anyone around here with one. Only place I can think they'd wear them is the snowboard trails up at the ski areas.
Actually, I wonder if people would call the cops if they saw you wearing one on the street. (Yeah, they're like that around here.)

I'd never really heard the term shemagh either. I was confused with the typical dew rags the guys wear at work. Only women around here wear the head scarves wrapped like that in public. I've never seen any of the guys wear them, ice fishing nor hunting, certainly not on the T riding to work. They wear the camo face masks or fitted balaclavas mostly. I wear a balaclava when doing the snow-blowing and if the wind chill is below instant frostbite. But I'm thinking of finding one of those mask-like things this winter, just to freak out the neighbors.

Rick
09-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Hey Lowkey - I have a winter mask for snow blowing or just out in the snow. It's a military version and it's the bees knees. If you wear glasses it even has supports on the side to hold the rails. The only problem I've ever had is it directs your breath up through the eye holes just enough to fog goggles. I don't have tight fitting goggles so it might work better with them. But it does keep you toasty. So much so I don't even use the chest pad at 0F. If I add the chest portion I get too hot.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/digisto/cabinet/c68/1_ro555068_600.jpg

LowKey
09-13-2015, 11:20 AM
I've wondered about those masks. Is the 3M part replaceable?

Sarge47
09-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Hey Lowkey - I have a winter mask for snow blowing or just out in the snow. It's a military version and it's the bees knees. If you wear glasses it even has supports on the side to hold the rails. The only problem I've ever had is it directs your breath up through the eye holes just enough to fog goggles. I don't have tight fitting goggles so it might work better with them. But it does keep you toasty. So much so I don't even use the chest pad at 0F. If I add the chest portion I get too hot.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/digisto/cabinet/c68/1_ro555068_600.jpg

All of this stuff goes perfect with a hong....:cowboy:

NightSG
09-13-2015, 07:11 PM
But I'm thinking of finding one of those mask-like things this winter, just to freak out the neighbors.

This kind should work:

http://i.imgur.com/CjWv5Bc.jpg

hunter63
09-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Your girl has a beard?......

hunter63
09-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs and I am completely aware of their meanings and uses but,what I'd like to know is your thoughts on wearing them out and about,say hiking,hunting and so on,do you feel other people who see you with them and using them and so on look down upon you,kinda like some people look down upon anyone who doesn't buy USA made items? Seems with everything that's going on nowadays this might not be such a good idea to be seen with these or am I just worrying about something stupid? To me all they are is a cloth with many uses,to others,well maybe not...

So, been kinda following along....and I guess I have to ask...Why would you care what they look like or what do you think they mean?

Kind of a don't care what other people think, kinda guy, my self......don't really care for the wear one because cause people on survival shows do...or did.
Have worn neckerchiefs (left over for scouting days) or even soaked shop rags in hot weather, and baraclava or watch caps with face masks in cold weather.

I just haven't tried adding much of anything except ball cap or crusher hat....

Just curious.....?

Rick
09-14-2015, 06:28 AM
@ Lowkey - They come with two of the 3m masks. Or at least they are supposed to. The masks are held on with velcro and they have an aluminum nose bridge that you can mold to your schnazzola.

Batch
09-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Batch, those face shields look pretty cool. I've never seen anyone around here with one. Only place I can think they'd wear them is the snowboard trails up at the ski areas.
Actually, I wonder if people would call the cops if they saw you wearing one on the street. (Yeah, they're like that around here.)

I bought the SA masks for when we ride. Nobody is going to be alarmed at people wearing masks out in the woods riding. And they are fun and help with the dust when it is the dry season.

richbat
09-15-2015, 08:23 AM
So, been kinda following along....and I guess I have to ask...Why would you care what they look like or what do you think they mean?

Kind of a don't care what other people think, kinda guy, my self......don't really care for the wear one because cause people on survival shows do...or did.
Have worn neckerchiefs (left over for scouting days) or even soaked shop rags in hot weather, and baraclava or watch caps with face masks in cold weather.

I just haven't tried adding much of anything except ball cap or crusher hat....

Just curious.....?
I don't care what they look like and the meaning behind them is a symbol of Identification and Culture and represents The country of Palestine,now with that said I think one would have to be a little inquisitive if it might offend some people here in the USA with all the things going on.Oh and I'm not doing it because the TV programs portray people wearing them,I bought them for there many uses.Hope this clears some things up for you.

TXyakr
09-15-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm considering purchasing a few Shemaghs

Back to these...

There are many sizes available so be careful you don't buy one smaller than you need depending on what you want it for. Some of the very cheap ones are only 39x39" (1x1 meter), standard is about 42x42" and extra large is about 54x54". A local Army/Navy store near me sells them for about $7-10 and that is the typical range online from eBay, Amazon and Jet etc. If it is only $2.50 including shipping it may be very small or something. Obviously you can buy fabric of whatever color or pattern, hem the edges and make your own but this is generally more expensive. If you are paying more than $12 it had better by very special, i.e. stars and strips to appear more patriotic if that is a concern.

Basically just to protect from sun and sand (i.e. very fine particle dust that is common in Western USA, Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Western India and many other parts of the world like N-Africa etc. etc.) Can also be soaked in a 0.5% solution of Permethrin, then let is dry out completely so it bonds to the fabric. This provides some barrier to mosquitos, sand flies and other biting and blood sucking insects around your head and neck. Many other uses for this small piece of thin fabric. Might protect from a bit of cold down to about 50 or 40F.

Edit: If Turkey or Proghorn hunting get one that blends in well, appropriate camouflage. Turkey have very good eyesight. I like khaki generally because in dusty environments everything gets that color. Folks that served in I/A often have them because they know how useful they are.

hunter63
09-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't care what they look like and the meaning behind them is a symbol of Identification and Culture and represents The country of Palestine,now with that said I think one would have to be a little inquisitive if it might offend some people here in the USA with all the things going on.Oh and I'm not doing it because the TV programs portray people wearing them,I bought them for there many uses.Hope this clears some things up for you.

I thought that might be where you were going with this.....and yeah, I don't think it makes any difference....at least to me.
Just seems like maybe a good addition....as the old scout neckerchiefs were.
Thanks.

richbat
09-15-2015, 06:09 PM
I thought that might be where you were going with this.....and yeah, I don't think it makes any difference....at least to me.
Just seems like maybe a good addition....as the old scout neckerchiefs were.
Thanks.

Your quite welcome and I do apologize if I came off a little heated.

hunter63
09-15-2015, 06:29 PM
No worries........Just curious.

Desert Rat!
09-15-2015, 08:24 PM
I have several , maybe 10 they work well for the intended purpose i also like them when sleeping out doors they keep the flies off your face kind of a mini mosquito net, they are just a piece of cloth like others have said but work good