PDA

View Full Version : Made a mistake on saws... do you have a better suggestion?

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Yea I did it. I got a Coglans Camp Saw, never used.... But before I retire this - I am looking for a better choice. Open to suggestions. looking for work capable and light weight.

http://images.ontheedgebrands.com/get/w/400/h/400/A19-HL8400.image?notfound=notavailable

Batch
08-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Silky or Bahco. I have a Silky, which some say are more prone to break. I haven't broken mine yet. I did break my last folding saw a few years ago. But, it lasted me about 15 years of occasional or what I would say was moderate use at best. I use a bow saw for heavy sawing.

The Silky is impressive in its aggressive cutting.

hunter63
08-31-2015, 12:12 AM
Why are you gonna retire it?....If It was never used?
Only saw I use and carry with me is a Wyoming saw, like combo, wood and meat/bone saw.

Or a small bow saw and old pruning saw for blind building..

TXyakr
08-31-2015, 01:44 AM
I don't see the point of spending a lot of money for a folding saw, they are very useful and I use one more often when light weight camping than any other saw. Currently I have a cheap "Corona" brand one from a hardware store or perhaps Walmart, cannot remember. Key thing is that the blade locks in place. Blade is replaceable and I could sharpen it but easier to just buy a whole new saw when it does not cut well any more.

A high quality Swedish saw blade for your bow or buck saw may make more sense. But those are not as compact or quick to pull out and use for most tasks and don't fit in small dry bags if you are in very wet environments.

https://jet.com/Corona-14-inch-Professional-Folding-Pruning-Saw/8d46973895d249da914bf88fc0d877ac

On all of Corona's pruning saws, each razor tooth is sharpened on 3 sides, then impulse-hardened, so it cuts cleanly through branches and limbs quickly and smoothly.
14-inch tempered steel alloy folding blade
Ideal For small to medium-sized branches
Curved blade for faster cutting
6 precision-ground teeth per inch
Rigid, precision-milled, hardwood handle
Model No. PS7020
SAW PRUNING 14"FOLDING $21 at jet dot com

Use paracord and/or duct tape attach to pole/long stick cut down widow maker limbs that may fall on you before setting up tent or tarp.

Phaedrus
08-31-2015, 02:25 AM
The best I've ever found is the Silky. I have three of them in fact, a Pocketboy, a Bigboy and a Katanaboy. Aside from sounding like they were named after Japanese sex toys they have no real downsides.:eyepoke::laugh: The Katanaboy does indeed rival a chainsaw in speed. The Corona is also a very good saw although I haven't seen them in really large sizes. The Bahco is a good saw but not as good as the Silky IMO.

Rick
08-31-2015, 07:36 AM
I've always used a Gerber Sportsman Saw. Hard to beat for less than $20.

crashdive123
08-31-2015, 08:36 AM
I have quite a few different folding pruning saws. While some perform better than other, they all do what I need them to do. I had a chance to use one of these http://www.ohsayusa.com/Bob-Dustrude-Collapsible-Buck-Saw-p/bd-buck-saw.htm and it was fantastic.

Nighthawk
08-31-2015, 10:29 AM
I usually use a small axe. But I've found that when I need a saw, I need more than a folder, so I carry a Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw. It folds up nicely and is either in my pack or strapped to it. That thing cuts like a laser, and takes standard blades.

TXyakr
08-31-2015, 11:28 AM
I checked to see which model my small folding saw was: Corona RS 7265 10" Carbon Steel blade. There is one for sale at Lowe's Hardware Store for $18, ship to store for free shipping and replacement blades are typically $13 each.
http://coronatoolsusa.com/replacement-parts.html?p=8
With a lot of patience I can cut up to about a 6" branch but better to use a buck or bow saw for that. Those saws are just more bulky and take longer to get out, I don't typically take in a daypack or on my kayak when going through heavy brush or setting up a hammock in some brush to watch wildlife/hunting blind or for the night. A small saw clears out green briar (smilax) much better than a machete or hatchet in my experience, glove to hold thorny vine or very callused hand.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_10452-63731-RS+7265D_0__?k_clickID=7b117d08-74d7-72c9-4b57-00004572b30c&store_code=1059&productId=3006129&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce. storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4012ed12ed%5D&storeNumber=1059&kpid=3006129&kpid=3006129&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-LawnGarden-_-Pruning-_-3006129%3ACorona&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1024204270

A higher end saw is much better but they all wear out or fall overboard eventually so I don't put much $$ into them.

Also better not to put a lot of pressure when sawing let the teeth do the work and cut a counter cut so blade does not get pinned in. I don't know the proper terms just the correct techniques of cutting limbs and trees since I was very young.

Edit: Funny story my Dad when he was in his 70s: Doctor told him to wear long sleeves (had skin cancer removed) and not climb trees any more. But he was out trimming trees up on top of an old wooden ladder with no shirt on. Fell, got injured went and asked my mother to help him remove a splinter from his hand. She said she was busy visiting with a neighbor lady over tea and biscuits or whatever would help him with splinter later. Then she got around to it, saw that it was over 4" long, 1/2" thick piece of wood through his hand, cleaned it up some and went to an ER to have it removed and stitched up. LOL He would of turned 100 years old Sept 1, 2015. We all got together to remember all the fun things he did Saturday night.

xrayit
08-31-2015, 12:55 PM
While not as cheap as the pocket folding saws, the Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw is the saw I carry to set up base camp. The design is rock solid with not thumb screws to jack around with. Can be assembled in three minutes and allows for larger wood cutting ability.

Wiggy
08-31-2015, 03:02 PM
All my buddies in the tree removal biz say that Silky is the only folding saw you'll see on their trucks. I'm going to get one as soon as I have the cash for such a thing. I really like the katana boy, check out some of the youtube videos on that thing, people are getting through stuff I never thought a folding saw would take care of.

Rick
08-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Deeang. For that kind of money I can hire someone to cut it up for me. .

hunter63
08-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Deeang. For that kind of money I can hire someone to cut it up for me. .

No, Ship......
Psssssst...Chain saw......

RangerXanatos
08-31-2015, 05:39 PM
While not as cheap as the pocket folding saws, the Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw is the saw I carry to set up base camp. The design is rock solid with not thumb screws to jack around with. Can be assembled in three minutes and allows for larger wood cutting ability.
3 minutes is a long time to set it up. I can get it up in a few seconds. Love mine.

Adventure Wolf
08-31-2015, 05:41 PM
I use a Sportsman Camp saw. I think I picked it up at Red Hill General Store, but don't quote me on that.

hunter63
08-31-2015, 07:48 PM
I use a Sportsman Camp saw. I think I picked it up at Red Hill General Store, but don't quote me on that.

OK I won't........What's it look like?

Adventure Wolf
08-31-2015, 10:30 PM
I think I put this photo in right.

Nope, let me try again.

For some reason I couldn't upload from my hard drive, so I created a photobucket account and uploaded it from there.

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2015, 11:40 PM
Good posts thanks - got to do some homework.

Rick
09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
@AD - The photo on your harddrive was too large. The pic you posted is 1024 X 576 and is too large to upload. That's also the reason the forum converted it to a thumbnail. 640 X 640 or smaller is a good size to post. You can also resize your photo in photobucket by clicking on the pic then selecting EDIT.

Bullet Hole
09-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I still use an old Stanley folding saw I bought at least 20 years ago. No longer made. Came with the pruning blade, but you could also swap it out with a metal cutting, and bone saw blade. Came with an 8 inch saw blade, but you could also get a 12 inch blade for all the different blade types. Sure glad now that I loaded up on all the different blades and bought 2 saws.

Jimmy Whisper
09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
I have an old 10" and a newer (longer... maybe 18") corona. I love them both. I have a gerber that I don't like. I have heard good things about the Bahcos.

LowKey
09-09-2015, 09:16 PM
I have an old Fiskars folding saw from my landscraping days. It's still in good shape. Not ever used on a deer though.

druid
09-09-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm looking at a 21" Bahco 32-21 bow saw blade on Amazon for less than $10 so I can make my own Bucksaw.

richbat
09-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and get a Silky,I have the Silky Gomboy and love it,use one of these and you'll wonder why you never bought one in the first place.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks.- Looks great

Mannlicher
09-16-2015, 12:41 PM
the coughlin folding saw, while certainly not 'the best' out there, will still do a fine job of cutting wood. For weekend campers, and around the house, it's satisfied thousands of folks.
I carry a 15" Sven saw on my pack, but I also have a Coughlin inside the pack. Either works for quick chores.