PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!

NevadaCarry
07-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I came across this site just surfing around looking for "survival" type sites. Seems to be some good information over here so I think I'll poke around some more.

owl_girl
07-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi and welcome.

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Welcome Nevada, sure wish Illinois allowed concealed carry!

NevadaCarry
07-22-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm originally from New Orleans so I grew up with my dad who always carried a gun. I've been in Vegas for about 2 years and got my CCW last december. Do you know if they are trying to pass any CCW laws in Illinois?

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm originally from New Orleans so I grew up with my dad who always carried a gun. I've been in Vegas for about 2 years and got my CCW last december. Do you know if they are trying to pass any CCW laws in Illinois?

As far as I know, no. There is an element who wants it, of course, but most of the people in this state are Ted Kennedy Democrats, and then, of course,there's Chicago. Missouri allows it though. Thinking of moving there at some point.By the way, when I was 14 I lived in Vegas for almost a year. It was a lot smaller back then.

NevadaCarry
07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Man, that sucks that you would have to move to a different state if you wanted to get a concealed permit.

I'm sure Vegas was smaller back then, I've been here 2 years and have seen it grow.

nell67
07-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

donny h
07-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi! Welcome.

Do you know if they are trying to pass any CCW laws in Illinois?

There are groups trying to do just that, but if you ask me, they are fighting an uphill battle.

Illinois has some of the strongest gun control laws in the country. You must have a state issued license called an FOID just to possess any guns or ammo or you are guilty of a crime.

NevadaCarry, if you don't mind me asking, did you get your permit in Clark county? How long did they take to process it? I ask that because I've heard they are notorious for dragging their feet, and that some Vegas folks have gone through Washoe county (Reno) to avoid them, how was your experience?

Sarge47
07-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi! Welcome.

There are groups trying to do just that, but if you ask me, they are fighting an uphill battle.

Illinois has some of the strongest gun control laws in the country. You must have a state issued license called an FOID just to possess any guns or ammo or you are guilty of a crime.

NevadaCarry, if you don't mind me asking, did you get your permit in Clark county? How long did they take to process it? I ask that because I've heard they are notorious for dragging their feet, and that some Vegas folks have gone through Washoe county (Reno) to avoid them, how was your experience?

Right now the FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) costs $5.00 for five years.
Good ole' Ill. Guv Blagojevitch (Won't tell you how my father-in-law pronounces that.) tried passing legislation that would have raised the fee to $100 per year. I guess it was defeated.

NevadaCarry
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi! Welcome.

It took me exactly 45 days from submitting my paperwork in Clark County so I don't think it was that bad. That was this past December. I heard they are doing better than what they have been.

donny h
07-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Right now the FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) costs $5.00 for five years.
Good ole' Ill. Guv Blagojevitch (Won't tell you how my father-in-law pronounces that.) tried passing legislation that would have raised the fee to $100 per year. I guess it was defeated.

Now that a permit system is in place, it does seem ripe for abuse for any politician in the future, first $5 for 5 years, then $100 for 5 years, then $100 a year, then $500 a year...

Cook county tried to pass a ten cents per round ammo tax. It didn't pass, but I see it as a sign of the times to come. Ten cents may not sound like much to some folks, but that would take a $12 brick of 500 rounds of .22 up to $62.

donny h
07-26-2007, 01:37 AM
It took me exactly 45 days from submitting my paperwork in Clark County so I don't think it was that bad. That was this past December. I heard they are doing better than what they have been.

45 days is not bad, not bad at all. Here in Utah it used to take a 2-3-4 weeks, but they are flooded with applications these days, I know a guy who's been waiting for over two months.

If you travel much you may want to consider a Utah permit, everyone may want to, because:

You don't have to live in Utah
Classes are offered in all 50 states
It is good in 30 states (Nevada permit I think is 14)
The cost is reasonable
No prohibition on having other states permits

At one point, maybe it's still true, only the Florida permit was more desirable to have than Utahs, because it included one extra state (31 total), I think Pennsylvania.

Packing dot org is a good source for info on the latest laws pertaining to concealed carry state by state. A better source than me, that's for sure.:)

NevadaCarry
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Yea, I'm planning on sending in my paperwork for my FL permit as I just need to send a copy of my honorable discharge, paperwork, and money order.

donny h
07-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Yea, I'm planning on sending in my paperwork for my FL permit

Won't that be great?

With that permit, you'll know that over half the states in this country value you enough as a citizen/veteran that they won't interfere with your right to defend yourself and your loved ones.

It may make planning vacations easier.:)