PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

hunter63
08-05-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't do Facebook....but seems it really popular.

Presently, I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore every day, I go down on the street and tell the passers by what I have eaten, how I feel,
what I have done the night before, and what I will do after.

I also listen to their conversations and I tell them I love them.

And it works:
I already have 3 persons following me – 2 police officers and a psychiatrist!

Like, like , like........

madmax
08-05-2015, 01:39 PM
like...

friend request...

join our group...

kyratshooter
08-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I do not post on facebook but I go on there because my kids do post there.

Very disturbing, I though I had done a better job.

Rick
08-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Posting on a book in my day was a sure fire trip to the principle's office. That's if the teacher didn't have their own brand of wooden eraser. Some with holes drilled in them to improve aerodynamics and to leave something to remember them by.

hunter63
08-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I actually got called into the principle office for "posting" on the ladies bathroom stall "wall" .......

Told him I didn't do it....but only because I hadn't thought of it.......
"Hey, that's a heck of an idea"

nell67
08-05-2015, 04:29 PM
I do not post on facebook but I go on there because my kids do post there.

Very disturbing, I though I had done a better job.
I have a facebook, used to have a myspace, both set up "back in the day" when my kids were in school and schools had not banned such things. I wanted to know the truth of what my kids were up and thinking. I set up an account under a fake name, learned that my kids would accept anyone as a friend whether they knew them or not. I found out that the truth can be an ugly thing.

Rick
08-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Indeed it is. That's why I've changed doctors a few times. Still looking for the one that will tell me what I'm doing is just fine and I could even add a bit more sugar to my diet if I'd like.

Faiaoga
08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
It seems that a useful technology is being misused, Like seeing the Twitters of everybody all the time:

tweet I am standing up
tweet I am pouring a glass of water
tweet I am drinking a glass of water
Who cares? :w00t:

natertot
08-07-2015, 05:50 PM
I have a facebook, but I use it for certain conveniences. I find it handy to keep in touch with childhood friends, college buddies, and my Navy brothers and sisters. I also use it to share pictures with family that is distant from me and it works well to communicate a single message to a group. This is helpful for my daughters cheerleading things as well as announcements from the church since I do volunteer work there. It is a tool that has its uses, but I don't do too much of the other "stuff" that is on there.

crashdive123
08-07-2015, 07:19 PM
I use Facebook to stay in touch with friends. It's a tool that serves my purposes.

DeadLeaf
08-07-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't have a facebook.. I figure there will be a right reason to create one..one day.. just not anytime soon. I've tried different things in the past like MySpace and i even have an instagram that I don't mess with. Saving it for when it really becomes relevant.
I don't watch TV much.. I only recently started using the Internet to listen to music.. and holy crap, let me tell you.. that's gonna catch on one day, I promise you that

:ninja:

TXyakr
08-07-2015, 10:54 PM
My primary use for Facebook is with relatives and friends from my early childhood. Personally I have major issues with FB software especially their heavy handed automatic methods of manipulating people's news-streams or whatever they call it... what shows up from what your "friend's" posts. Privacy issues, lack of control over content your post etc. I have a long long list of grips with FB. But I cannot tell others what to use especially if they are relatives and close friends. I am highly reluctant to "friend" people I don't know very well, or accept friend requests. Instagram, twitter, google+ etc perhaps but not Facebook that is just for close friends who I may need to message because email and text messaging can fail but some people especially some women keep up with FB, others do not and Text Msg is better. Also you can easily make a "fan page" on FB to organize a reunion or just common interest etc. but you must give up most control and privacy. I have two fan pages that I don't keep up with much put people still like them occasionally. Kids sports K-12 almost always uses FB to organize these days, as well as dropbox and a dozen other online tools. If your kids are old enough you can just assign them to keep up with some of it, i.e. be my secretary its freaking taking up my day.

hunter63
08-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Actually the OP was kinda a sideways joke......But I'll be quite now.
No I don't do FB....or Twit....

Canadian-guerilla
08-20-2015, 07:21 PM
I just started doing the FB thing after 2 years of opening an account

I found that it's pretty easy to send pics from my phone to FB

don't have to bother with Photobucket or Imageshack

all my wild edible pics online in one place

1stimestar
08-21-2015, 12:04 AM
I love FB. Great way to share with friends and family, especially since all my family are like 4000 miles away...

Rick
08-21-2015, 01:32 AM
Don't forget that during a crisis social media might be the only method of communicating with family and friends.

1stimestar
08-21-2015, 04:04 AM
Actually we do communicate on our community pages. Fairbanks is surrounded by small communities. Ester, Goldstream, Two Rivers, Cripple Creek, etc. So someone sees a bear, they post it. Someone sees a loose dog, they post it. Someone sees a suspicious vehicle in the neighborhood, they post it. It's quite handy.

natertot
08-21-2015, 06:43 AM
That is cool 1st. Our community has a page set up as well. It is used for everything from finding local handymen, returning lost pets, and trading/selling items. Very useful little tool at times!

TXyakr
08-21-2015, 09:39 AM
I am reluctant to post local wildlife on the neighborhood Facebook page lest someone freakout about it and ask their spouse to go kill it or run it off.

Also Facebook was much more fun for many years until my wife finally got an account and "friended" me, now I must be very careful what I post, bummer :-( LOL Friends probably know what "Custom" means: wife was excluded in distribution of "that" comment or posting ha ha ha. If she ever joins WS I will be gone! Or at least my childish comments greatly diminished. The fun is OVER! LOL

Like "looking for new partner for Discovery Channel Wilderness Survival Challenge, anyone but my wife!! She camps with a well stocked ice chest, netted tent and giant inflated mattress, just a wee bit heavy in the backpack! LOL If you are OK with only a 10-15 lb day pack for 5-10 days and can hike 20-40 km wearing sandals in desert mountains for 48 hours, few breaks PM me..."

1stimestar
08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
I am reluctant to post local wildlife on the neighborhood Facebook page lest someone freakout about it and ask their spouse to go kill it or run it off.

Not a big problem here. If it is hunting season, then someone might be willing to share meat though lol.

nell67
08-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Actually the OP was kinda a sideways joke......But I'll be quite now.
No I don't do FB....or Twit....LOL, Tweet, it's "OR TWEET"

natertot
08-21-2015, 09:49 PM
LOL, Tweet, it's "OR TWEET"

Trick or treat, twit or tweet...... Tomato, tomatoe..... LOL!

hunter63
08-21-2015, 10:23 PM
"Twit" was not a misspelling....LOL......

2dumb2kwit
08-22-2015, 01:12 AM
"Twit" was not a misspelling....LOL......

Oh yeah.......Speaking of a "twit", I use facebook to pick on Ken, almost daily. Hahaha.

(And to get jokes about women fixing a sammich, for their man.) LOL

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

1stimestar
08-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah.......Speaking of a "twit", I use facebook to pick on Ken, almost daily. Hahaha.

(And to get jokes about women fixing a sammich, for their man.) LOL

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

http://www.troll.me/images/the-rock/imma-lay-the-smackdown-on-you.jpg

Rick
08-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Oh, man. I got me some popcorn and a drink. This is gonna be good. Oh, look! The mule is sneekin' out the side door. Not even he wants to see what's about to happen.

TXyakr
08-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Not a big problem here. If it is hunting season, then someone might be willing to share meat though lol.

Totally different for you there in Alaska. The need to stock freezer with low cost game meat compared to beef, chicken or pork shipped in from many miles away at a very high cost. I spent some time in the Amazon jungle where we bartered for meat when someone had a successful day hunting or fishing. Not legal to sell it but can always make deals with a handshake. In crowded suburban areas there are always a few people who freakout about every predator and want to save every single bunny rabbit and don't understand the balance of nature, evidently watched Bambi or worse cartoons like that and don't understand how wildlife works. I won't even mention halal and kosher laws about not eating predator meats, cook it well it is fine.

When I was a kid I had to go around to all the neighbors asking who wanted to buy my pork and which cuts. Would have been great to have Facebook and let them order online. Then send them a message that it was ready for pickup. I raised and butchered pigs from age 10-18 more than I can remember up at 4am done by noon if I was lucky. Killed and processed up to 6 a day and all by hand without any fancy equipment. Facebook or even email would have been great! One friend could multiply 2 3 digit number in his head faster than any of us could do on a calculator. He had a perfect math score on SAT as well. This came in handy when calculating cost of meat with bloody hands.

Rick
08-22-2015, 07:24 PM
What the?! Someone is killing baby rabbits? No good will come of this. (where's PETA's phone number?)

1stimestar
08-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Totally different for you there in Alaska. The need to stock freezer with low cost game meat compared to beef, chicken or pork shipped in from many miles away at a very high cost. I spent some time in the Amazon jungle where we bartered for meat when someone had a successful day hunting or fishing. Not legal to sell it but can always make deals with a handshake. In crowded suburban areas there are always a few people who freakout about every predator and want to save every single bunny rabbit and don't understand the balance of nature, evidently watched Bambi or worse cartoons like that and don't understand how wildlife works. I won't even mention halal and kosher laws about not eating predator meats, cook it well it is fine.

It's not legal to sell or even barter subsistence (hunted) meat or fish up here but people still do it. We have a few Bambi watchers but most of us are hunters, or knows hunters, or like fresh meat that doesn't come from Mexico.

What the?! Someone is killing baby rabbits? No good will come of this. (where's PETA's phone number?)

People Eating Tasty Animals.