PDA

View Full Version : homestead hot tub

wildWoman
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/Northern_bushrat/Chrisinhottubmail.jpg

This is a nice way of making an outdoor hut tub: prop up a metal bathtub on some rocks. The fill tub with water, light a hot fire underneath and within a surprisingly short time, the water is nice and hot. You need to have some sort of wooden grid to sit on though because the bottom of the tub will be very hot. Either keep the fire going as you bathe or extinguish before you go in. The draining bathwater will safely pt out the rest of the fire.

trax
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Brilliant, I love it, simple, easy to do...and brilliant.

Sourdough
05-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Looks good, I just did my spring haircut, down to the roots. The dog is next, down to the roots. (Where did that grey and white hair come from......? The dog must be getting old.

dilligaf2u2
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Multi Purpose tub and boat. The only problem with that picture is there is something, ugly, bright and shinny causing glare in the for ground. It looks kind of like a UFO had crashed landed!

Don

crashdive123
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Very nice WW.

Rick
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
(Big sigh).......Sweet!

Aurelius95
05-02-2008, 06:33 AM
It's the view that makes this a "homestead hottub". Imagine it propped on a dilapidated porch with high grass growing in the yard, a few cars up on blocks, a trampoline around somewhere... oh wait, nevermind.

Cool pic WW.

wildWoman
05-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh sure the view makes it extra nice, but it really is a neat system for people without running water or without a hot water system. Cheap too, because bathtubs seem to be easy to score at the dump. The simple life seems to invariably bring hard physical labour with it, and it is such utter luxury to be able to soak the sore muscles in a tub of hot water...
Also works great as a laundry tub (maybe one task many back-to-the-landers don't consider - having to do all your laundry by hand; it is a major pain), although if set up right by the water as ours, one should either hook up a hose to drain the grey water in a different spot, or else do the washing with soap well away from the water.

Rick
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
"Hey, dude! Your wilderness tub melted."
"Melted? What are you talking about?"
"I built a fire under it and it just melted."
"You do know that was a fiberglass tub, right?"
"Yeah. So?"
"Here's your sign."

rebel
05-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice idea! Any thoughts for a two seater? Something to share the view.

crashdive123
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Since we talk alot about multi use items on the forum.......bathtub gin.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/HISTORY/e1920/BathtubGin.gif