PDA

View Full Version : Lion sighting in Milwaukee

hunter63
07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Don't worry about the bears.....Lion sighting over the week end.....lots of people looking for a possible mom and cub.

Milwaukee County Zoo says.....We have all our accounted for......

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/tmj4/news/Police--318566471.html

Made national news tonight.

Rick
07-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Someone probably turned them loose. Folks buy into those exotic animals and when they realize they can't afford them or they simply get too big or too dangerous they just open the pen and let them go. They should be staking out the owners and let them pay for all the police and DNR time.

hunter63
07-26-2015, 10:20 PM
It's not illegal to own exotic animals in Wisconsin....Milwaukee yes, city law.

Some one already shot a pit bull on the leg...saying they thought it was the lion.(Dumas)

tundrabadger
07-26-2015, 10:35 PM
I read somewhere that there are more tigers privately owned in the united states than there are in the wild. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar number of privately owned lions.

I imagine buying a lion seems like a really *fantastic* idea at the time, but keeping one isn't anywhere near as fun as you'd think.

natertot
07-26-2015, 11:46 PM
What saddens me about this is that an innocent dog has already been hurt and the lion(s) will most likely end up dead. All because of human stupidity.

hunter63
07-27-2015, 12:27 AM
In this case I do feel for the lion.....and the dog.
Hopefully it get resolved....but you saw in the vid....all the police with rifles.

natertot
07-27-2015, 01:28 AM
In this case I do feel for the lion.....and the dog.
Hopefully it get resolved....but you saw in the vid....all the police with rifles.

Yeah, but I don't fault the police either. Police are not trained or equipped to handle exotic animals and at the same time public expects them to provide protection from these animals. That only gives them one option, rifles........

Rick
07-27-2015, 03:15 AM
As much as I'd hate to do it if I were LEO and had to face a lion my first move would be a weapon. "Here, kitty, kitty," would not be a good approach. A private farm in Ohio released several exotic animals then the owner shot himself. All of the animals were killed. I think Natertot posted on that. The news is saying they want to tranquilize the animal. Good luck with that. From the cell phone video it sure looks like a female lion. A bit blurry so it could be Big Foot.

TXyakr
07-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Possible it was someone's pet African lion, but my guess is that it was a pet mountain lion (puma) that got lose from a poor quality enclosure. Cats and other animals typically get more elusive when they are pregnant. I would not want to get between it and cub. IMO fines for improper exotic habitat enclosures etc. should be much higher. Perhaps people of Milwaukee will reconsider if cost of this "hunt" is released.

I once found a very young Bobcat whose mother and siblings had died of poison but it died before I could get it to animal rescue place. Absolutely no way I would have kept it as a pet. Once had ocelot pet which did not work out well. Have had puma mother and large juvenile near my camp, never considered shooting either. Not a real concern for my safety. Also had Bobcat mother and juvenile outside window of my home in suburbia. Me and neighbors notice benificial reduction in feral cats, but about same number of rabbits, which breed like ...

After decades of foolish trapping and relocating now city has official policy posted online that people need to keep pets on leash and in enclosures protected. Native predators are beneficial and will be left alone where they are by city's animal control officers. Talked to one who is daughter in law of a friend, she said most she sees often are on golf courses near creeks. If residents use firearms they can be arrested for a felony, so educate yourself. I paraphased on line policy but y'all can Google.

More domestic pets and people accidentally shot by reckless discharge of a firearm than a truly dangerous predator killed by some civilian shooting one in the city or suburbia.

Rick
07-27-2015, 08:54 AM
911 what's your emergency.
Uh, yeah, I just saw a lion.
A lion?
I'm not lyin'.
What's your name, sir?
Ryan.
But you said a lion.
Yeah. It was just liein' there.
A liein' lion? Is that right Ryan?
Exactly. The lion was liein' on the lawn.
A lawn liein' lion, Ryan? I'm not pryin' but who is that cryin'?
My wife is cryin'. I thought I was diein'.
Is that because of the lawn liein' lion? Just try to remain calm.
I'm tryin'.
All right Ryan. We'll send officer O'Bryan. What is your last name, Ryan?
Alexander.

crashdive123
07-27-2015, 08:56 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/homer-simpson-doh.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/crashdive123/media/Forum%20Fun/homer-simpson-doh.jpg.html)

Sarge47
07-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Sheesh Rick! Man, they don't pay me enough for this!...:2:

Rick
07-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Wait....we get paid?!

natertot
07-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Wait....we get paid?!

Well, for you we sent a bill. Might have gone to collections.

Rick
07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
When Bill gets back from collections tell him I haven't gotten a check. Thanks.

hunter63
07-27-2015, 12:30 PM
"Alexander?"....Wot up with Alexander?

kyratshooter
07-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Now you guys have me worried.

I do not have an appropriate "lion rifle".

I have seen what those suckers can do and how much lead they can take in the process.

We are going to definitely go up to .338 Winmag, or maybe .375 H&H.

Where did you say this was, Milwaukee?

How fast can a lion cover 1000 miles anyway, are they faster than UPS?

hunter63
07-27-2015, 12:58 PM
All you need is a .22....read it on the interweb...will kill anything on the planet....it's all about sight picture, and trigger smoothness....

Faiaoga
07-27-2015, 02:00 PM
I will copy an old beer commercial and call this "the lion that made Milwaukee famous". :innocent: Sorry about that.:devil2:

natertot
07-27-2015, 03:50 PM
I do not have an appropriate "lion rifle".

HAHAHAHA! :noway: You of all people should have 1 or 7 laying around that are suitable for lions!

kyratshooter
07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
No, from what I understand I am woefully ill equipped in the lion hunting department.

This also exposes the fact that I an not equipped for a grizzly attack either.

Nor tigers.

I am not equipped for lions and tigers and bears,,,oh my!

I never worried about this before, considering the fact that none of these critters live in my area, but if folks are going to bring them in and turn them lose this shortcoming must be remedied!

crashdive123
07-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Are they sure it wasn't a cougar?

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/man-woman-wild-ruth-300x300.jpg

natertot
07-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Uh oh....... Hunter is going to be needing a new computer from all the drooling! :drool:

hunter63
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Are they sure it wasn't a cougar?

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/man-woman-wild-ruth-300x300.jpg

Awww, y'all remembered......Ruth is Hot!

Rick
07-27-2015, 09:10 PM
I wonder if Blade could slightly modify his methods to cut himself out of a lion. Furry Brown Lion. Furry Brown Lion. Heck, that's almost as good as Green An a conda. It's in your head now isn't it?

hunter63
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Not gonna look, not gonna look......Awwww...I looked.

crashdive123
07-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03i5v1PS7P4

hunter63
07-28-2015, 11:22 AM
I can say that they didn't have stuff like that when I was a kid.........Thank God.

kyratshooter
07-28-2015, 11:40 AM
I can say that they didn't have stuff like that when I was a kid.........Thank God.

Yea, we had Mighty Mouse!

He would have kicked that loin's butt!

hunter63
07-28-2015, 12:06 PM
My favorite line was from Oil Can Harry.....
You have to sing it, was all done like a musical...

Mighty Mouse, "Oil Can Harry, your a villain...."
Oil Can Harry, " I know it...but it's a lot of fun...."

Words to live by, "Be who you are and make the best of it"