PDA

View Full Version : Why no marketplace/trading post?

h8mtv
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I am really surprised there is not a trading post to sell, buy, and swap your gear. I think we could give each other some great deals and re-use some great equipment others are no longer in need of. It would not be difficult to do, especially if no vendors were allowed. Keep it to outdoors and related items only. No bowling balls and lightly used washing machines. Keep track of feedback and follow the basic that posting "I'll take it" rules. I'd be willing to help.

DOGMAN
05-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I think a lot of us may have some stuff that other members may want. The guy with the Scout made me think that. He wasn't a spammer- he is an active member that had something of value for like minded people. There should be a "swap shop" Maybe it is locked until someone has posted 10 times or is regular member or something to keep it from getting spammed up.

Sam
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I think a lot of us may have some stuff that other members may want. The guy with the Scout made me think that. He wasn't a spammer- he is an active member that had something of value for like minded people. There should be a "swap shop" Maybe it is locked until someone has posted 10 times or is regular member or something to keep it from getting spammed up.

It is not locked up. We just don't have one.

DOGMAN
05-01-2008, 12:51 AM
It is not locked up. We just don't have one.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was stating that we should have one, and it should be inaccessible to those who haven't posted much- so people just don't join to make one post trying to sell some stuff.

Sam
05-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was stating that we should have one, and it should be inaccessible to those who haven't posted much- so people just don't join to make one post trying to sell some stuff.
Sorry no harm, I miss understood. :cool:

nell67
05-01-2008, 02:46 AM
This has been asked before,Chris' explanation is in this thread :
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=500&highlight=trade+board

h8mtv
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I understand the reluctance to have an exchange. I do have a few items I may list for trade. Thank you very much.

MCBushbaby
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I just completed an online marketplace as a kind-of senior design project (I'm finally out of college!!!! woot!) so I'll clear the database and clean it up for real-world use. I have to find a server that supports mySQL and PHP, but once I do, I hope Chris won't banhammer me for linking to it. Let me know if there's enough support for it. Cheers.

you can see it as it is now at: http://orion.csl.mtu.edu/cs4421/project/techtrade/

just log in as any of the preferred users. password default is "password" so, for example, log in as:

fchopp
password

Play around if you want and let me know of any modifications/additions you'd like. I certainly need to refine the purchase/shipping option because my partner did that in the last few days before it was due, so it has got kinks.

NOTE: mtu.edu server is being really slow. Probably end-of-semester maintenance, so be patient.

Rick
05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
If you are looking for an ISP, try Bluehost.com. They are cheap and have a ton of bandwidth. Their up time is excellent and so is their support.

MCBushbaby
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
If I could get my application to link with paypal, it'd negate Chris's concerns. Every seller would have every shipment go with a "notice of signature" so you know if the buyer received it or not. If they never signed it, it never was shipped or received, so paypal would refund the buyer. The seller would have hopefully insured an expensive item so would be refunded via USPS, etc., if it was lost in transit.

crashdive123
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Being a www . neophite when it comes to stuff like this, would it work if two people wanted to trade, swap, barter, etc. rather than buy stuff?

MCBushbaby
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I could test out some ideas to add that feature. Barter would be fairly simple, though trade/swap would be quite different and may require the 'sign on delivery' explained above. However, yes, the application would facilitate the trade easier than via a forum post or PM.

Chris
05-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Technically mitch, no, it isn't against the rules for you to link to your project.

Technically though, yes, it would be against the rules if you were to make that project a public venture.

This is still something I will consider adding to the site. I know it will be used, I know it will be popular, but it is just the moderation that ends up being a PITA. Additionally, it can attract spammers.

However, I could easily setup a system whereby you needed 50 posts or whatever to even see it. The downside of that is, you end up with less people seeing your listings, so less people will buy. Perhaps I could do it so 50 posts to make a listing, but anyone can see the listing or bid etc.

MCBushbaby
05-03-2008, 02:29 PM
certainly would be something to look into. Right now the application takes in way too much information, as we tried to link it with online banking, but I could put in some security features (bot prevention, keyword filtering, etc)

MCBushbaby
05-03-2008, 08:16 PM
A quick NOTE on the techTrades application I previously linked to:

* Reset database (so the whole application no longer works)
* In the process of rewriting the whole thing (partner's code is horrendous to read and his features are extraneous) but shouldn't take too long as I can reuse a lot of code
* New version will feature trading, bargaining and purchase features
* I might add in a PM feature so you don't have to rely on emails or giving out your email for communication
* I WILL NOT require authentication via credit card, or PayPal to limit liability. Plus I have no real way to validate their credit card or PayPal like the major sites do (third party software and all).