PDA

View Full Version : Tracking

Rick
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
This is for our less experienced members. Do you know the animal this track belongs to? In the last picture, there are two tracks. The one in the upper left is the same as the first two pictures. Can you name the animal the track in the middle of the 3rd picture belongs to? I'll give you a hint. The skull in pic 4 is the same kind of animal that made the track in pic 3!

MMonette
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I know, I've been seeing a ton of those tracks lately.

RangerXanatos
04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd have to say a young deer and the other track I find hard to make out so I'll have to take a long shot and guess Raccoon?

p.s. I figured the deer out first and when I tried to get a better look at the other track I had to save it to try to enlarge it and it came up with the name as deer4.

Daniel

klkak
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I see deer tracks and raccoon tracks and the skull is a coon skull.

trax
05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I see deer tracks and raccoon tracks and the skull is a coon skull.

I concur, and although I suspect the Coors Light can was left by a human...it could have been the 'coon.

And I only added my .02 cuz I suspect that klkak is not one of our "less experienced" people when it comes to tracking...

klkak
05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
This is for our less experienced members.
I am sorry. I missed the less experienced part. My bad.:o

Rick
05-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Well, you are all correct. I don't think the raccoon skull is from the one that left the tracks. As for the beer can (shrug).

Craziest thing. I found a baseball in the middle of the woods. A baseball. It was under a small bush. The only thing I can figure is a coyote made off with it from the backyard of a nearby sub-division.

trax
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I knocked one out of the park last summer Rick....could have just recently landed...:D :D :D

Rick
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
You know, it was a bit scorched. Probably did that on re-entry.

Rick
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
This is another one for the less experienced members. If you look closely at the pics you'll see poop. A lot of poop. Can you tell me what animal made it and why it's all in this one spot? I'll tell you this is along a fairly well used animal trail next to a small creek. (I wish the pics were better but I'm limited on the size of the pic I can post. I'll start getting better close ups to compensate).

Stealth
05-03-2008, 10:01 AM
im going to guess fox

Rick
05-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry. Not a fox.

klkak
05-03-2008, 08:09 PM
"I know what this is. It's an espresso maker" "No wait. It's a snowcone machine"

crashdive123
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Too many movies. Now you sounding like Ahnold.

canid
05-03-2008, 11:41 PM
no, no... it's a microwave oven.

Blood Groove
05-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Hmmmm it looks like my dogs poop (It's my job to shovel it), so I'm going to say a wolf! Plus everyone on this forum loves wolves.

canid
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
we seem to have something like a consensus that it is the spoor of a carnivore, and i will add that i agree it looks canid [not me personaly, i have an alibi]

klkak
05-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Its hard to tell without being able to judge the size. But I'm pretty sure I know what it is and why so much of it in one place.

nell67
05-04-2008, 02:19 AM
coyote......

Rick
05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Give that lady a cigar!! Coyote is correct. They use their urine and feces to mark out their territory and as a warning to other coyote. As I said, this is on a well used animal trail next to a small creek so it was a perfect and well chosen spot to mark.

For the less experienced, you can easily identify coyote feces because it is 1. about the size of German Shepard feces and 2. unlike a domesticated dog, it will contain hair from the small rodents, etc. that it eats.

Nice job, Nell!

crashdive123
05-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Gosh Rick, I guess you really know your s***.:D:D

Alpine_Sapper
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Not saying you're incorrect at all or anything like that, but a few weak points in your logic that I noticed:

They use their urine and feces to mark out their territory and as a warning to other coyote

Lots of breeds of domestic dogs do this. I'm not sure about the toy breeds and the feces, but it's instict for male dogs of all species to mark with urine. Larger breeds typically do this with feces as well.

unlike a domesticated dog, it will contain hair from the small rodents, etc. that it eats.

Hair alone doesn't necessarily indicate it's NOT a domestic dog. It all depends on diet.

Rick
05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Alpine - I agree with everything you said. In the case of the pictures, all the feces contained quite a bit of hair. An indication that it's not a domesticate dog. However, you are correct about diet and assuming a large domestic dog were feeding exclusively on rodents, etc. its feces could appear the same way.

My only point is to help the less experienced (I'm no expert by any means) understand something a bit out of the ordinary when they run across it in the woods. It's not every day that you see territory marked in this fashion so I thought it would make a good show and tell.

Crash - Of everyone on here, I knew it would be you that would give me a load of crap about the post.

crashdive123
05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Well I try. And far be it for me to poo poo any knowledge that is shared.

cajun swamp hunter
05-05-2008, 06:02 PM
My Rhodesians poop looked like it was full of fur for a long time after he ate the neighbors long haired persian. yep it was hairy poo.

Rick
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Well, see. It had the purry look to it though.

canid
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
a note on canid droppings:

another telling feature is the whitening as it dries, which is often due to bone content. if it's full of hair and bone, it's not likely to be someone's domestic dog.

Arkansas_Ranger
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
i'm just now coming in on this, but deer and raccoon tracks. then there's some coyote poop.

klkak
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I see tracks like these every day I'm out riding. Thought I'd take a couple of pictures and share them with the folks here. Can you guess what they are?:)

crashdive123
07-29-2008, 12:01 AM
The tracks in the second photo are from a quad runner. I'm guessing the animal ones are from a Gray Wolf - could be a coyote, but I think they're smaller.

klkak
07-29-2008, 01:09 AM
You are right about the ATV tracks. However we don't have Gray Wolves here in Alaska. I put the Leatherman Super tool 2000 (4 1/2 in. long and 1 in. wide) next the the track for size comparison. Notice the human foot prints close to the K-9 prints, another size comparison.

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Here's a good tracking link:

http://www.bear-tracker.com/

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 01:47 AM
And another:

http://wildwoodtracking.com/other/sitemap.html

Rick
07-29-2008, 03:03 AM
No Gray Wolf in Alaska? Do you call it a Timber Wolf? Same animal. Canis lupus.

Is the track a wolf/coyote or wolf/dog hybrid?

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
From the Smithsonian National Zoo site:

"Geographic Distribution: Today, gray wolves can be found in Alaska, Canada, some northern U.S. states, particularly Minnesota, as well as Russia and a few eastern European countries."

"Their paws are as big as those of much larger dogs; the Zoo's 60-pound wolves have the same paw size as some 100-pound domestic dogs."

klkak
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Nope all we have in Alaska is Alaska wolves:D

Sorry I didn't know it was the same thing. In this case then you were right with your answer Crash.

I've never seen this wolf closer then about 400 yards. He is very big. I'm guessing over 100 lbs.

klkak
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
No Gray Wolf in Alaska? Do you call it a Timber Wolf? Same animal. Canis lupus.

Is the track a wolf/coyote or wolf/dog hybrid?

The track is a wild wolf. I have seen this wolf with its mate and as many as 6 others.

Ryleyboy
08-14-2008, 06:59 PM
This is for our less experienced members. Do you know the animal this track belongs to? In the last picture, there are two tracks. The one in the upper left is the same as the first two pictures. Can you name the animal the track in the middle of the 3rd picture belongs to? I'll give you a hint. The skull in pic 4 is the same kind of animal that made the track in pic 3!

so is there a way to tell how big the animal is by the track?

Ryleyboy
08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
is there a way to tell how big the animal is by the track?

trax
08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
is there a way to tell how big the animal is by the track?

When you get accustomed to that specific animal's tracks you can tell pretty closely Ryley. Heavier animal leaves a deeper track and a longer bodied animal has a longer stance (space between tracks) Chances are you're not going to be going,"well, that's a 748 pound elk with a disarming smile and he passed by here at 5:42 Tuesday afternoon. He stopped right there to think about the vastness of the universe before moving on...." but you'll go " Bull elk, pretty fully grown, tracks are two days old..."

Adult wolves can be tough because their feet grown so big so fast, but the length of the stride is a good clue.

With larger animals too, you check where they've been nibbling on trees and plants, where they might have scraped against something, those things will give you an indication of size. Smaller animals you can follow the same guidelines but you have to be a little more attentive, they tend to leave less detail.

warman87
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
i just looked at the skull pic it was labled raccoon.jpg lol

Rick
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Ahah! aha! Yawn.......