PDA

View Full Version : where can I practice surviving?

Kjack42088
06-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Ok I live in Florida and have most of my life. Surviving hot weather and island living is second nature to me, now it's time to lower the temp a little bit and get more inland. A buddy and I would like to plunge ourselves into the wilderness somewhere with minimal gear just enough to hunt, cook, and sleep and try to make it a week on our own. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some suggestions on places that that we could do this with a very low chance of crossing paths with other humans. We're trying to stay around Georgia or the Carolinas so temps aren't too low and we don't have to travel too far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

-Kevin

Sarge47
06-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Oh no! (Face palm)...:pinch:

TXyakr
06-26-2015, 12:19 AM
There are many threads on this here at W.S. and other sites. I prefer private ranch land but not much of that in the East I assume. So avoid State Parks, check out National Forest, Wildlife Refuges etc.:

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/

Be sure you know the rules and regulations

I camp in 100+F degree weather so am not sure why you are all concerned about that, I use a tarp and hammock (NOT tent). If you make a debris shelter most places require that you completely return everything to its original condition so this takes time. Even if not required it is rude to leave a mess behind. BLM out west is my favorite. Very cool at night if you camp in high desert, Northern NM is great in July and August, also AZ and UT.

I don't know much about SE, I've been to Great Smokey Mountains, and A.T. but during summer it was elbow to elbow with people as far as the eye could see. Felt like I was in a freaking shopping mall. OMG just shoot me now. West is SOOO much better. Continental Divide Trail or some less traveled like Rio Chama trail, or travel down the actual river in canoe or raft during work week then side hike up side canyons spend a few days there in Douglas fur forest. Very cool place. (Below El Vado) 100's of other wilderness places like that 100's of millions of acres in the USA, long drive but so worth it. BWCA in MN is great! SOOO much better than A.T.!!! IMHO. The deeper you go the fewer people you see.

LowKey
06-26-2015, 06:41 AM
You are going to Georgia for colder??? LOL.
Like TX said, you need to go norther and wester.
Wherever you go, check the hunting regulations and weapons carry regs too while you're at it.

It's only for a week Sarge. Not like they are running away to the wilderness forever.

MrFixIt
06-26-2015, 07:04 AM
You are going to Georgia for colder??? LOL.

LOL indeed, we've been having a record breaking heat wave for June. The heat index has been averaging 103 degrees.
If you are looking for cooler temps, try the mountains. Maybe you won't melt there.
Good luck in your endeavor, and above all, be safe!

natertot
06-26-2015, 07:15 AM
K jack, hit me up in the fall and we'll start planning for February!

Actually, there is a decent national forest near me that would be ideal for what you are wanting. If you are looking to experience some colder Temps that are easily survivable then November would be a good time.

Let me know.

Rick
06-26-2015, 08:41 AM
You want to practice camping. You can't practice survival. That's what you do when things go wrong.

finallyME
06-26-2015, 09:13 AM
I will just say, the high desert in Utah in July and August......sucks! We go to the desert in the early spring and late fall, or dead winter. But in the summer....go to the mountains...alpine.

I am sure you will have a hard time finding a place east of the Mississippi that is public, and void of people.

natertot
06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
You want to practice camping. You can't practice survival. That's what you do when things go wrong.

But every time I practice camping things go wrong so technically every time I camp I am surviving right? I mean, I haven't come back dead so far. Wait, maybe that is why my wife can't hear me most of the time........ :angel:

Semantics aside, it seems like Jack has things down for where he is at and is looking to expand his experience and capabilities. At least he seems sensible and I can respect what it is he is trying to do. On the bright side, he is looking to go for a run at it for a week and not rottw for an absurd reason. That alone is a breathe of fresh air around here.

Rick
06-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately, it's not just semantics. There is a huge difference between the two and it seems our lexicon is quickly blurring the two. Romanticizing a survival experience sets the wrong impression for those trying to learn how to operate in the wilderness. Let's call it what it really is so the expectation of a survival experience is something to be avoided at all costs and something that is to be feared, which it should be. Adapting our camping/hiking experience and knowledge to a survival situation is a good thing. Thinking we can go off and practice survival is not.

Sarge47
06-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately, it's not just semantics. There is a huge difference between the two and it seems our lexicon is quickly blurring the two. Romanticizing a survival experience sets the wrong impression for those trying to learn how to operate in the wilderness. Let's call it what it really is so the expectation of a survival experience is something to be avoided at all costs and something that is to be feared, which it should be. Adapting our camping/hiking experience and knowledge to a survival situation is a good thing. Thinking we can go off and practice survival is not.

Thank you Rick! It always rubs me the wrong way when I see the term "survival" used incorrectly. Practice those outdoor skills and you might be ready to survive. Here in Illinois right now we're having massive thunderstorms, flash flooding and tornadoes. Kentucky is getting hit really hard at the moment as well. You want to practice surviving these areas just might be the place! Low Key, this is what I was referring to! I keep saying that survival is NOT the latest extreme sport, but a matter of life or death!....:cool2:

kyratshooter
06-26-2015, 12:34 PM
I see several suppositions running through this thread that seem to be due to preconceived notions or the every delightful confusion of semantics.

The first thing I want to address is the mistaken notion that it does not get cold in Georgia when winter sets in.

I know for a fact that you can freeze to death in north Georgia in the area around Delonica. It also gets so dark there you can not see your hand in front of your face on a moonless night. They also have bears. Big bears!!! And most of them do not hibernate that far south.

The other thing I would address is that the same area is the jump off point of the Application Trail.

My advice, past the point of defining the survival experience, is to factor in the era we live in, the place you will be and the laws that cover all your actions and settle for a "near death experience" by leaving the guns at home, taking a weeks worth of food with you and hiking a section of the AT in North Georgia (do I hear banjo music) in mid January to mid March.

But in 2012 I drove down to Tampa for a 2 weeks camp, so I could escape the North KY glacier, mid January, and temps went to freezing every night of my trip, so you really do not have to leave home, you just have to catch the right frontal system moving through Florida!

Once you leave your home state you are looking at land use restrictions, out of state hunting and trapping licenses, crowded public lands and a whole gambit of problems that will irritate you, or if you ignore them will put you in a small backwoods county jail far from home.

Most of the southeastern US is just as crowded as Florida, and you will find that if you hike deep into the woods and sit quietly on a log you will be able to hear traffic on a road within a few minutes, even on the AT. (been there, done that)

The southeast is filled with National forests, State forests, designated wilderness areas and wildlife management areas, so the job of finding a place is just a matter of doing one's homework and CALLING THE LOCAL RANGERS for legal definitions.

And always remember, the raccoon raiding your cooler is always twice as big at night as he is in the daytime and black bears reach epic proportions when night arrives ! So "survival", however you define it, also depends on the time of day an incident occurs!

And yes, I also consider these "practicing survival" scenarios to be willful self abuse, which brings in the mental health questions we all try to avoid, especially that one about be a danger to self or others!

I have been watching Alone for the past two weeks and it is amazing that all those "survival instructors" who have been "practicing survival" for years are blowing the big one when placed in an unfamiliar location with real hard luck weather and terrain.

Rick
06-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Since survival beyond illness or injury is 90% mental, at least for a week, all one really has to do is lock themselves in the bathroom. They will be alone and still have safe water and "facilities". Sleeping in the bathtub will be nearly the same as sleeping on the ground. If you want to up the ante unleash a few female mosquitoes. Once someone masters that then can try their back yard. One step at a time is my philosophy.

MrFixIt
06-26-2015, 01:46 PM
The first thing I want to address is the mistaken notion that it does not get cold in Georgia when winter sets in.

I know for a fact that you can freeze to death in north Georgia in the area around Delonica. It also gets so dark there you can not see your hand in front of your face on a moonless night. They also have bears. Big bears!!! And most of them do not hibernate that far south.

Indeed. I've worked with folks from "up north" who ventured into GA. 99% of them told me that the coldest they had ever been was while in GA during the winter. I was quite taken aback by this and asked why. They ALL said it was due to the humidity here.
Mind you, it doesn't get below zero, but I guess the humidity is a factor...?

Lamewolf
06-26-2015, 02:24 PM
You're not surviving unless the temp is below 30 degrees !:thumbup1:

Rick
06-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Simple. Turn the thermostat down.

kyratshooter
06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Fact is that cold weather survival is more difficult in the southeast than any other section of the country I can imagine.

You have cold and wet but no snow. No snow caves, now snow insulation, no easy tracking of animals, no deep preservation freezing of food supplies.

Just frozen mud and leafless trees everywhere with the wind howling around your ears and not a stick of dry wood for building and maintaining a fire. You are going to get wet, then it is going to freeze, then it is going to thaw just enough for you to be wet again, and then it will freeze.

That is why I live in Kentucky but still own three different kinds of waterproof foot gear and a pair of bunny boots!

hunter63
06-26-2015, 10:49 PM
..........a buddy and I would like to plunge ourselves into the wilderness somewhere with minimal gear just enough to hunt, cook, and sleep and try to make it a week on our own. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some suggestions on places that that we could do this with a very low chance of crossing paths with other humans. We're trying to stay around Georgia or the Carolinas so temps aren't too low and we don't have to travel too far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

-Kevin

What everyone else said....
Ansd.....get hunting/fishing/camping and foraging licenses and permits for the area you pick....
Plan well......remember you can survive with no food for a week, not so with water...get your water filer and carrying systems down prior your trip.

Good luck.

Batch
06-27-2015, 11:07 AM
If you replace the words practice surviving with practice bush craft things make more sense. Like saying your going to go practice falling when you mean your going rock climbing.

kyratshooter
06-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Batch, one of these days I'm going to drive down to Florida and buy you a beer!

hunter63
06-27-2015, 01:55 PM
If you replace the words practice surviving with practice bush craft things make more sense. Like saying your going to go practice falling when you mean your going rock climbing.

Bhohahaha....This statement should be a sticky......Rep sent

Well tried say I have to spread it...
Someone hit Batch up with some rep?

natertot
06-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Someone hit Batch up with some rep?

I got it for you hunter!

Rick
06-27-2015, 02:43 PM
I agree. The term bush craft pretty much says it. Well done.

DSJohnson
06-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Someone hit Batch up with some rep? Done but it looks like Nater beat me to it...Dang

DSJohnson
06-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Back to the original question. Simple...load up and go camping. You live in Florida but I did not see if you said northern Florida or southern. I agree 100% with KY about the App trail. Just lookin' at Google Earth and since I do not have a clue where you are starting from it is about 520 miles from Tampa to the southern trail-head of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail at Amicalola Falls State Park. So make a plan and load up. Take lots of pictures and tell us how it went. I am jealous. Ever since the first time I read an article in Boy's Life about the A.T. when I was about 13 I have dreamed of hiking it.

kyratshooter
06-27-2015, 04:24 PM
I did the lower half of the AT back in 2001 and it is not all it is cracked up to be.

Round and round and up and down.....

At one point I started hiking in the am and crossed a gravel road with a house close by. Walked all day and camped that night, woke up and dropped off a hill and passed the same house. Went back up another hill and hiked all day, camped that night. Woke the next morning, dropped off the ridge and,,,,You guessed it!!!,,,,crossed the same road and passed the same house!!!

I hiked three days and did not make 100 yards straight line distance!

And don't get me started on the bears! Every trail shelter has its own resident sow with cubs.

natertot
06-27-2015, 10:34 PM
I think Kyrat forgot his compass! :detective:

kyratshooter
06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
You don't use a compass on the AT, you follow the trail markers.

The trail is worn down to the bedrock for most the southern half. Not much way to get lost.

Problem is that the guy with the little metal plaques and the hammer was apparently drunk when marking the trail.

Sarge47
06-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Anybody know what happened to the guy that started this thread?....:confused1:

hunter63
06-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Naw, thinking drive by........looking for some one to tell him the "secret"....and no one did.

natertot
06-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Anybody know what happened to the guy that started this thread?....:confused1:

he probably froze to death in north Florida!:cold::cold::cold::cold:

kyratshooter
06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
I think he was an apocalyptic prepper looking for a prophet to follow.

That S-word we have in our title draws them all.

Perhaps we should substitute the word survival with the word "Bushcraft" ourselves. We might get fewer drive-bys.

We are one of the only forums left on the internet that has survival in our title, and from what I can tell we are the only one not preparing for the 2012 EOTW (yep there are some still waiting, BOB in hand), and the only one not promoting the Rambo lifestyle.

crashdive123
06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
he probably froze to death in north Florida!:cold::cold::cold::cold:

He is more than six hours south of me.

We did have a bit of a chill. Heat index only got up to 105 today before the thunder boomers moved in.

hunter63
06-28-2015, 02:04 PM
He is more than six hours south of me.

We did have a bit of a chill. Heat index only got up to 105 today before the thunder boomers moved in.

OMG...get out the bunny boots and parka...........

Kjack42088
06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
**** folks.. To those that gave responses and helpful info thank you it's much appreciated. To the others that offered no helpful advice and didn't even get close to the topic thanks for your two cents as well... What good is a forum without the mindless crap some people have to offer. i don't understand what draws people to comment when they have no intention of actually answering the question and just want to argue about words and how they percieve them.

Sarge47
06-28-2015, 04:48 PM
We were being kind, you think that's bad once upon a time there was this guy who called himself "Blade..." Actually you were given some good answers. A more of a prompt appearance on your part would have helped....:cool2:

Rick
06-28-2015, 07:11 PM
You offer us no age, no experience level, no idea of what equipment you might have and no idea what you intend to "hunt". Still, we are suppose to provide thoughtful input to someone that wants to "survive" and then gets his knickers in a twist when he doesn't receive the kind of response he thinks he should. Garbage in, garbage out as they say.

hunter63
06-28-2015, 08:03 PM
**** folks.. To those that gave responses and helpful info thank you it's much appreciated. To the others that offered no helpful advice and didn't even get close to the topic thanks for your two cents as well... What good is a forum without the mindless crap some people have to offer. i don't understand what draws people to comment when they have no intention of actually answering the question and just want to argue about words and how they percieve them.

Seriously?....kinda huffy there?.....What's up with that?

Batch
06-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Fact is that cold weather survival is more difficult in the southeast than any other section of the country I can imagine.

You have cold and wet but no snow. No snow caves, now snow insulation, no easy tracking of animals, no deep preservation freezing of food supplies.

Just frozen mud and leafless trees everywhere with the wind howling around your ears and not a stick of dry wood for building and maintaining a fire. You are going to get wet, then it is going to freeze, then it is going to thaw just enough for you to be wet again, and then it will freeze.

That is why I live in Kentucky but still own three different kinds of waterproof foot gear and a pair of bunny boots!

To the OP, I thought this was some seriously useful info that Kyrat posted regarding your plans. I am a South Florida Swamp Rat. I have never stayed the night in camp below 20 degrees. Few days near 30 and most above 50. Hell most above lows of 75. LOL

natertot
06-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Dang Man! Kyrat gave some awesome advice and pointers. I even invited you to my neck of the woods to show you a bit. Then as Rick said, you didn't give us much info and like Sarge said, you haven't really participated in the thread.

What more could I do for you!? :blink:

hunter63
06-28-2015, 09:42 PM
The "secret"....the secret.....we didn't tell him the secret.......and he only got to the 3 date....?

kyratshooter
06-28-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't think he qualifies for the secret.

He has less than 10 posts and has not mentioned anything about owning a gun with "magnum" n the title.

We don't even know if he owns a proper jalopy or beat up SUV yet!

hunter63
06-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Probably calls a magazine a "clip"..........

TXyakr
06-28-2015, 10:34 PM

I hope you have fun learning new outdoor skills. My father and others taught me how to survive when the best laid plans failed, but decades ago we never called it "survival" just pioneering, exploring, primitive skills, camping, making it back to civilization alive. Then the general public jumped all over SERE training or something like that... not sure how exactly it went so mainstream and pop. ("reality" T.V.???)

Keys to very hot and humid (I lived for many years in the Amazon Jungle) are drink lots of water 1-2 gallons per day, and do most of your activities in the very early morning and late afternoon as sun is setting (Bath & Nap mid-day). Same with high desert. Northern New Mexico, Rainy Season (monsoons) are typically late July and August so set up camp mid to late afternoon enjoy the rain and drop in temp catch some water because river has much silt requires Alum to filter. When winter comes it requires a totally new set of skills and gear. Hammock requires under quilt not fan or pitching high for wind flow. Then you may want to camp down in everglades, perhaps. Some of my friends prefer to camp (not survive which implies failure) up north in the winter and down south in summer to avoid the crowds. It works and if you have the basic skills and basic (not a lot) of gear to adapt to climate/weather, you can as well because you are an intelligent human. Heck the deer and raccoon do it 365 days a year why the heck can't humans. Rhetoric because most humans have easier options and are soft and some are not grumpy old men like me who have a low tolerance of being around other humans. Heck last few weeks I have been spending 2 days/week teaching kids to kayak (mostly babysitting and listening to their issues), I have a high tolerance for kid's nonsense, not much for adults who should know better. For a few hours I paddled around a girl (in tandem kayak) with hair dyed blue who had not drunk enough water and was dehydrated, OMG you can give them chilled bottles of water and sports drink put not force them to drink it (other kids yelling at her to vomit over side of kayak not in it, thanks, now shut up!) Foolish humans. Survival can be as simple as purify and drink lots of water! Don't sit there with massive headache, under a tree vomiting all your food, because you were to stupid to hydrate. OMG palm to face!

When on land where it is allowed set up a debris hut (or more elaborate wiki hut) and then your tarp or tent near by in case of a major thunderstorm. Sleep in the debris hut for night or two. If a snake or scorpion crawls across your face or neck during the night don't move fast just stay calm and let it move on by. It just saw your body and breath as a warm place to hunt or sleep, no worries. Flick it on out and go back to sleep, or get up, cook and eat it, fresh is best. Cheers.

So just get out there, as others said, bad unexpected things will happen, gear will fail, critters will steal your food, you will get injured, and you will figure it out and survive because you are a relatively intelligent human. I am slightly smarter than a box of rocks and have "survived" many challenging situations over that last 50 years. NOT with the help of "trail magic" on that silly A.T., while "Yellow Blazing" past all the steep parts from festival to festival... OMG palm to face... I should not say what I really think about that... Adult nonsense.

Do it incrementally like "Wise Rick" suggested or jump in the deep end and tempt "Survival of the Fittest", but either way just do it. Ask a friend to let us know if you win a Darwin Award please... Only Joking... Some folks here hope I have every time I go months without a comment. ha ha ha Grumpy old men...

Sarge47
06-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Probably calls a magazine a "clip"..........

It's not?...:blush:

hunter63
06-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Hey Sarge....not bad for an old guy........

sjj
06-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Ahh he is gone... Note to self I need a proper jalopy or bug out wagon, ...with a *****.

Here she is... 6 months & working on that training... she has fetch down good.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCN0008_zpsmfpxp5dx.jpg

MrFixIt
07-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Good looking pup Wise Old Owl!

hunter63
07-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Awwww, I love puppy pic's..........Nice looking baby.

TXyakr
07-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Ok I live in Florida and have most of my life. Surviving hot weather and island living is second nature to me, now it's time to lower the temp a little bit and get more inland. A buddy and I would like to plunge ourselves into the wilderness somewhere with minimal gear just enough to hunt, cook, and sleep and try to make it a week on our own. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some suggestions on places that that we could do this with a very low chance of crossing paths with other humans. We're trying to stay around Georgia or the Carolinas so temps aren't too low and we don't have to travel too far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

-Kevin

My guess why this forum and many other similar ones get many "drive bys" is that someone like this asks a fairly specific question, i.e. where are there wilderness areas that allow primitive camping where some "survival" skills may be practiced. He clearly stated that he has experience with warm weather and coastal survival/camping (my definition of survival is what to do when you are camping in the wilderness and everything goes terribly wrong, one of several definitions anyway).

So when a person like this posts a question on multiple forums and gets responses that are WAY WAY off topic and some very rude he/she just responds to those from forums that are not full of nonsense and ignores (or should) the grumpy old men/women who are full of themselves and probably don't actually practice SHTF survival techniques much anyway. Just my personal opinion. I like to sit around the campfire and talk foolishness on occasion, but when I want solid advice with accurate technical information I know where to go... forums in general are NOT my first source of that info.

Among other sources I call the wilderness area managers, local law enforcement and ask what the regulations are, then get detailed maps and read online trip reports etc, talk to area guides or hire one for first time in a new area, to avoid people see the best remote sites. IMO absolutely worth it if you have 7-10 days to spend hiking or canoeing in BWCA. Knowledge is priceless.

hunter63
07-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Well, after 35 posts with out many "Off the subject, helpful posts" and get huffy?........

Questions have many answers....pick what you want.

finallyME
07-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Among other sources I call the wilderness area managers, local law enforcement and ask what the regulations are, then get detailed maps and read online trip reports etc, talk to area guides or hire one for first time in a new area, to avoid people see the best remote sites. IMO absolutely worth it if you have 7-10 days to spend hiking or canoeing in BWCA. Knowledge is priceless.

Here is the thing though...... you are absolutely correct. But, this requires more effort than just asking a question on a forum. This is generally my approach, and I have given similar answers to these broad questions before. So have all the grumpy old men (given similar responses that is). But, that answer isn't what the poster wants. He wants us to do the work for him. After you give the same answer to the myriad of similar questions..... you get tired of the silence from the poster (or the blatant ignoring of your advice) and eventually you start giving the "off topic" responses from grumpy old men that you are referring to. Don't worry, you will be doing it soon enough.

TXyakr
07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
I don't spend much time in SE but was wondering were some good primitive camping locations are in the North Georgia and Carolinas Inland highlands myself. Unfortunately when I am in that area most of my free time is spent visiting friends I knew back in grade school - H.S. and they have not stayed in good physical condition (overweight, diabetes, arthritis etc.) so we just stay at their homes and don't go into wilderness or I run some WW rivers with friends (younger or older than me but in shape) from TX/OK, then we head back home. So I was hoping someone from there (SE) would know some National Forest or Wildlife Refuge areas that would be OK with a small debris shelter/hut as long as you removed it when done, and possibly some rabbit/squirrel/varmint hunting (state hunting license required, I like porcupine etc.). But apparently no one from that region on this forum has any specific suggestions/recommendations.

I like the Green River, NC and Asheville area but this is mostly car camping NOT primitive camping and I was mostly white water kayaking NOT practicing "survival" skills, only keep head in high oxygen zone, visit fish briefly not for rest of life or I will be face to face with J.C. So some National Forest/ Wildlife refuge areas further down Eastern slopes may be better, but I have never had the extra time to explore these.

One of best public areas I can come up with is North Central New Mexico this time of year very close to or along upper Rio Grande and tributaries, where there are plenty of trees, cool night time temp and some but not many animals and fish. But BLM has many regulations. Private land is most of Texas (very little public), so offer to fix fences, cut cedar (juniper), and/or shoot feral hogs, some only allow you to shoot exotics like axis deer during whitetail season and you must pay big $$$ for each especially bucks, aoudad or native pronghorn very big $$$ so don't even think about shooting them without prior permission, rancher will find out and FAST!!!, build a relationship with land owner(s) if you don't have relatives or own land yourself. Private land owners have many regulations as well like don't shoot my livestock or I shoot you, only cut trash vegetation (juniper/mesquite etc.) not oak/ash, only shoot what you are going to eat or all feral hogs you see, keep fires small put out completely, don't litter with trash and shell casings, keep vehicles on trails and many many more. High elevations in far west Texas gets cool at night. Many peaks in TX are higher than any peak east of Mississippi River i.e. cooler and less humid than Eastern States in the Summer. (This region had a wet spring so tanks have water now.)

I did not count how many comments above were IMO NOT about where to go wilderness camping and where to practice "survival" skills but more than half. Whatever, free forum y'all can gibber jabber at will.

IMO most important keys to survival are psychology, physical health and fitness, knowledge/skills, where you are and what gear you have is secondary at best. The more "Time in the Bush" new name is "wilderness" (covers coastal, desert, arctic but that is "bush" to me as well, I'm old school) the more you learn to improvise, the less stuff you NEED to carry. Blade, pot, fire starter also saves time when a thunderstorm is on top of you, tarp and/or poncho are close in forth place, then insulation because ground litter, leaves are full of insects and stuff that itches and bites you (copperhead and recluse spider) when collecting and all night long, PITA!

hunter63
07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Feel free to not read any or all of the preceding posts..........

crashdive123
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
As usual TLDR.

Rick
07-02-2015, 09:54 PM
In the course of human misery this is really not one of the things that one needs to get their knickers twisted over. If you are unhappy with the responses then don't read the thread. If you are unhappy with a particular poster then put them on ignore. There are many answers to the unasked question, weed hopper.