PDA

View Full Version : Looking at land and ready to start our farm in Alabama.

russro
06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Greetings from Alabama. My husband and I just started looking at land to start our family farm. We both are from North Alabama and ready to move out to the country. We've been researching and planning for months and would love any helpful information, tips, pointers, and advice you could offer. This is a beautiful area surrounded by many waterways full of waterfowl and fish. The rich soil is home to many crops. The timber is mostly pine and hard woods and full of white tailed deer, turkey, boars, and other animals. We cannot wait to get started.
Thank you all,
Robyn

hunter63
06-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
Are you looking for an existing farm or land to start a farm?
How big? Land Prices? Crops? Equipment?
Bank Roll?, Experience?

edr730
06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Florence perhaps?

Rick
06-23-2015, 02:12 AM
Welcome home. Good luck on your dream.

1stimestar
06-23-2015, 02:33 AM
Welcome from Alaska. I will be excited to hear of your progress. Please keep us updated.

kyratshooter
06-23-2015, 07:07 AM
If you are starting a hobby farm or homestead my only advice would be "Don't quit your day job!"

If is fun and fulfilling but also expensive.

Being a jack of all trades and general purpose daredevil also helps. That way when you drop the chainsaw out of the top of the tree you were trying to trim you can fix it yourself!

I grew up and spent the first 50 years in southern Middle TN and I have a sister, BIL and their 4 grown munchkins in North Alabama. I know the general climate and geography of that area well.

Lots of people do not realize that area is a well developed urban tech center and home for a lot of NASA folks.

Pennsylvania Mike
06-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Hello and welcome from Virginia.

chiggersngrits
06-30-2015, 08:37 PM
Russro, it would be hard to beat a spot in the Paint Rock Valley with a little river frontage. I have a small plot over there but its is all mountain side and not really suitable for a farm.

hunter63
06-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Hasn't been back?

DSJohnson
07-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Welcome Russro,
My wife and I live on 50 acres in south central Oklahoma. We love it, even if we have not YET achieved my dream of total self sufficiency! I hope you have great success with your endeavor! Please keep us posted.

LowKey
07-01-2015, 07:45 PM
If you're just looking at land, be sure there is a deeded access to it. I've been looking at land up in NH and pretty much the stuff I can afford would require a helicopter to get to. Surrounded by land already owned by others with no road access.