PDA

View Full Version : Re-enactment gift ideas

finallyME
06-03-2015, 10:28 AM
My BIL is moving and will be closer to us. Yesterday he was showing me his new blackpowder rifle and blackpowder revolver. His brother made him a nice leather gun belt for the revolver. He also has a small scissor die for casting balls, and a nice patch knife. I am trying to think of a gift I could get/make for him that would compliment his rig. He needs a possibles bag, and I also thought of a handmade bowie knife. Any other ideas? Thanks.

madmax
06-03-2015, 10:46 AM
A possibles is a great idea. Clothes are also because one set can get ripe.. Hat. I don't know what era they reenact. Check that out to be appropriate. How long is the event? Canteen. I can think of more if you ant. Do you have some websites to buy from?

He needs to pick a character to be properly outfitted.

kyratshooter
06-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Got to know the era before making recommendations.

There is a serious break in technology at 1800 and another serious jump at 1825, 1840, then 1873. I do everything from 1600 to 1800 but it takes about five different outfits/weapons.

If he is using a BP revolver he has to be doing after 1850 but before 1873.

The problem most people have with reenactment is they buy a bunch of gear and then find out they can not use if in their area because it is the wrong time frame.

Best to get in touch with an organization and then get the proper gear for one's area/time.

If he has gotten into CAS he can get away with more, they never heard of calendars, or history for that matter.

BTW the costumers for Texas Rising have done a good job for 1830s era south and west. I am seeing few real serious issues with clothing or weapons in the series.

hunter63
06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
What they said.......Need to know the era.

finallyME
06-04-2015, 12:49 AM
I know era is important......but that's the thing. He isn't getting into re-enactment, like he goes to events and such and is judged by how accurate he is. It's more showing off to your buddies...hey guys check this out! I actually doubt he would ever go to an event (of course, you never know). But, I would go with what kyratshooter said, between 1850-1873. That's a 23 year time frame. Sorry about the non-specifics.

madmax
06-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Well, I'm afraid he may not get away with being historically inaccurate at some events. Some are pretty strict.

People who do these things tend to be VERY helpful. I went to my first one with everything I used, save the tarp I slet under and my homemade mocs, with handme downs and borrowed gear. Maybe he could contact the organization putting the event on and ask some question and possibly get a # of someone who might guide him a little.

More emphasis is placed on not showing up with some gear that hasn't been yet been used in that period than stuff that is a little older (within reason).

The most fun I had starting out was learning about the period...and that never ends.

Zack
06-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Got to know the era before making recommendations.

There is a serious break in technology at 1800 and another serious jump at 1825, 1840, then 1873. I do everything from 1600 to 1800 but it takes about five different outfits/weapons.

If he is using a BP revolver he has to be doing after 1850 but before 1873.

The problem most people have with reenactment is they buy a bunch of gear and then find out they can not use if in their area because it is the wrong time frame.

Best to get in touch with an organization and then get the proper gear for one's area/time.

If he has gotten into CAS he can get away with more, they never heard of calendars, or history for that matter.

BTW the costumers for Texas Rising have done a good job for 1830s era south and west. I am seeing few real serious issues with clothing or weapons in the series.

I thought Texas Rising seemed pretty accurate as well. It's definitely an amazing series!

kyratshooter
06-04-2015, 10:40 AM
At most of the events I deal with you would be turned around at the gate if you are a "walk in" and your gear is not right. Generally someone, either a Dog Soldier at rondys, or the "button police" at historic sites, will come around and check you and your gear out as soon as you are set up. You may not realize it but they are there. If everything is right they just hang around for a few minutes and talk without ever telling you who they are. Most just think they are the welcome committee. If you are wrong and will not correct the issue you are asked to leave.

The people that attend these events are there to duplicate a lifestyle and it turns their stomach when someone is presenting a contradiction to the truth of their era.

One event I go to there was a gate crasher that every year attempted to enter our 1780 frontier era event while wearing a full blown "Hollywood Cowboy" outfit complete with six shooters and Winchester rifle. He even tried to sue us for discrimination in a public place and finally quit bugging us when he lost the suit.

Texas Rising has been a fun series. They have presented people that no one knew existed unless they were a Texas History student and I enjoy that. Everyone knows about Crockett, Bowie, Travis and Houston but few knew about the "Yellow Rose" legend, or Big Foot Wallace, John Coffee Hayes and some of the others or the origin of the Texas Rangers as a force that already existed before Texas independence.

And while their costuming seems excellent, their historical facts are a bit sketchy.

But it's a movie, so take it as such and enjoy. Just don't quote any of what you see as the "history of Texas".

tundrabadger
06-04-2015, 07:24 PM
At most of the events I deal with you would be turned around at the gate if you are a "walk in" and your gear is not right. Generally someone, either a Dog Soldier at rondys, or the "button police" at historic sites, will come around and check you and your gear out as soon as you are set up. You may not realize it but they are there. If everything is right they just hang around for a few minutes and talk without ever telling you who they are. Most just think they are the welcome committee. If you are wrong and will not correct the issue you are asked to leave.

The people that attend these events are there to duplicate a lifestyle and it turns their stomach when someone is presenting a contradiction to the truth of their era.

One event I go to there was a gate crasher that every year attempted to enter our 1780 frontier era event while wearing a full blown "Hollywood Cowboy" outfit complete with six shooters and Winchester rifle. He even tried to sue us for discrimination in a public place and finally quit bugging us when he lost the suit.

Texas Rising has been a fun series. They have presented people that no one knew existed unless they were a Texas History student and I enjoy that. Everyone knows about Crockett, Bowie, Travis and Houston but few knew about the "Yellow Rose" legend, or Big Foot Wallace, John Coffee Hayes and some of the others or the origin of the Texas Rangers as a force that already existed before Texas independence.

And while their costuming seems excellent, their historical facts are a bit sketchy.

But it's a movie, so take it as such and enjoy. Just don't quote any of what you see as the "history of Texas".

Okay, I'm a history buff, so maybe i'm coming at this from the wrong perspective, but what kind of fun is going to a reenactment if you aren't going to, you know, reenact?i mean, it'd be like if i showed up the a ren faire dressed as a voyageur.

hunter63
06-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Lot's of posers........people get all dressed up, than ask if they can get pic's in front of some one else's lodge.

One must be careful, even they can get "bit bad", and end up spending the rest of their life living the life.