PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Attack on Young girl in Irvine CA

Faiaoga
05-26-2015, 06:38 PM
To date, I have seen no mention here of a recent attack by a coyote on a 3 year old girl in Irvine CA. The girl was not seriously injured and the animal was easily chased away, but it is of interest that the attack took place during daylight hours in a suburban park in Orange County CA. Perhaps other people can provide more information.
Another example of how easily certain wildlife species adapt to being near humans. :clover:

kyratshooter
05-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Urban coyotes, urban deer, urban raccoons, are everywhere and no longer a surprise.

I saw a special about urban wolves in the Canadian suburbs a while back.

crashdive123
05-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Some of the animals are just coming for the scenery, the beach and maybe to work on their tans. http://www.news4jax.com/news/bear-spotted-in-jacksonville-beach/27949964

Faiaoga
05-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Apparently the attack took place at about 6 PM on Friday, May 22nd. I am not surprised at wild animals in suburbia, but this attack was during daylight in a park near busy streets.:clover:

edr730
05-26-2015, 07:21 PM
We have too many coyotes. Recently a few wolves. I have heard wolves mornings and nights when I was outside. A half hour from here I have been told that they have been breeding together or a coywolf. I doubted the story at first, but am beginning to think it may be true. I need to talk to more people from the area.

hunter63
05-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Wednesday nights we get the 'yotes coming down the street, checking bags....Thursday is garbage day....
Had had possums, raccoons, and skunks in the yard...in the city....

Funniest was the coyotes that were coming down the street......saw a car coming...backed up into a neighbors bushes....car came to a stop at the stop sign....guy leaned out a barfed into the street.....then drove off....'yotes came out and lapped up the second hand pizza and beer...(I think)....LOL

When I see them in the daylight, and don't appear to fear humans...I think Rabies...and stay away...calls to the animal control seem to be "show up in a couple of hours, maybe it went away".
That worries me.

"The Place" we get all sort of wildlife coming an going, deer, black bear, lots and lots of 'yotes, .....ground hogs, skunks, possums, turkey, cranes,..........

kyratshooter
05-27-2015, 12:13 AM
Apparently the attack took place at about 6 PM on Friday, May 22nd. I am not surprised at wild animals in suburbia, but this attack was during daylight in a park near busy streets.:clover:

Most of my coyote sightings are in broad daylight! I call them in and hunt them in broad daylight.

They sure don't mind hunting my chickens in broad daylight!

Don't remember how many I have seen standing on the side of the interstate mid day.

The urban coyote does not know the "rules" and does whatever suits him.

madmax
05-27-2015, 12:33 AM
We finally have a bear season in FL. Kids and predators are not good.

WolfVanZandt
05-27-2015, 03:33 AM
We have enough yote activity that Denver educates their people on how to get along with them and keep from having their pets eaten.

I don't know if I told the story or not - the couple I moved to Denver to be with (Coyote and Coryn by name) were out late one night at McDonald's when Coryn looked out the window and spotted a coyote sauntering down the street. He nudged Coyote and said, "There's one of your coyotes." The coyote continued up the street and coming to the cross walk, he sat down and waited for the light to change. When it did, he trotted across the street and sat down to wait for the light to change again, and then he trotted across and kept going. Coryn allowed as how it couldn't have been one of Coyote's and he asked why. Coryn answered, "Because he didn't jay walk."

crashdive123
05-27-2015, 06:00 AM
We finally have a bear season in FL. Kids and predators are not good.

I knew about the bear season.....didn't know they opened it up on kids. :innocent:

finallyME
05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Urban coyotes, urban deer, urban raccoons, are everywhere and no longer a surprise.

I saw a special about urban wolves in the Canadian suburbs a while back.

I saw the same documentary.

The urban coyote does not know the "rules" and does whatever suits him.

I would say that the urban coyote does know the rules and knows how to play the game.

When my grandpa died, my dad found a .22 revolver in his closet. My dad said "hey look, it's dad's way of keeping the critter population in the neighborhood down". You would probably go to jail if you did that now.

WolfVanZandt
05-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Aye - Coyotes get into trouble, not because they don't know the rules (if they know pedestrian rules in Colorado, they probably know everything else, too) but because their lifestyle makes it difficult to keep from running afoul of the people they have to deal with. Historically, humans don't play well (or fair) with other kids.

Faiaoga
08-02-2015, 09:40 PM
The issue of wild animals, especially coyotes, adapting readily to urban places is a continuing one. The internet Slate magazine (July 31, 2015) has an article by Lance Richardson "New York Needs Coyotes" that discusses the problem. I think it is a fairly balanced article, though the title may seem a bit designed to attract attention. Perhaps someone can post a link. :clover:

www.slate.com