PDA

View Full Version : going ghost mode!

cacteye
05-05-2015, 05:37 PM
I've been a ghost on here recently work has picked up greatly, I am wondering how do you all deal with work and survival? since work is keeping me at about 60 hours plus a week time to go play in the woods seems like a dream at this point! one question is, should I just forget about survival and focus on work entirely. save up then when work slows down to a point where I have 2 weeks or more off take a bit out of my nest egg and gear up fully? Of perhaps some method I have yet to consider?

hunter63
05-05-2015, 06:17 PM
You will always find time and a way to do what you love to do.....and excuses to not do other things.

Work is important, but may a friend seemed to bury them selves in it....and not enjoy them selves.

How many time have you heard. "I'll take up (insert activity here) when I retire".......Then never be able to do it....what ever it was.

crashdive123
05-05-2015, 06:19 PM
I think you may need to reevaluate your terminology, or at least focus it. There are all kinds of survival. Wilderness survival, while the main focus of this forum is but one, small portion of your overall survival. Your current on focus on your work will help to ensure your economic survival, which in turn will augment many other survival aspects for you.

You can still carve out small parcels of time to practice the things you want to practice. With your economic survival you can work toward paying off all of your debt. Being debt free is not just something to dream of. It is achievable, and it is very rewarding. Your increased hours will also allow you to put away a little extra food and gear. Being prepared for disasters (small and large) in your life will also contribute to your survival. Disaster preparedness will go a long way to enhance your survival in many areas.

Yeah, we all want to get out and enjoy the woods but sometimes that may have to take a back seat to things that are more pressing at the moment.

kyratshooter
05-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Some "survival" aspects are a near necessity of life.

A tornado hitting your area does not care if you are working 60 hours a week or unemployed, and I have heard of not a single survival scenario of any kind, except the fantasy type, that waits for your schedule to mesh with their occurrence.

The busier you are the more reason to have a "storm kit" or "72 hour kit" set up set up for immediate use.

The outdoor stuff, for most of us, is entirely recreational anyway.

LowKey
05-05-2015, 08:30 PM
When I get the chance to be outside, I'm not out there "surviving." I'm enjoying the outdoors. That doesn't mean I couldn't spend the night out in the forest, on the beach, or in the pickup if an emergency required it. The pack or pockets have minimum gear when I'm out and the truck has a 72 hour kit. Which reminds me, time to change over to the summer/hurricane kit from the winter kit. Will have to do that this weekend - before the heat candles melt. Again.

kyratshooter
05-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Which reminds me, time to change over to the summer/hurricane kit from the winter kit. Will have to do that this weekend - before the heat candles melt. Again.

Don't you hate it when that happens??

At least you get to eat the out of date Twinkies and change out the bottled water.

finallyME
05-08-2015, 02:11 PM
I find time for the wilderness is little windows of free time. You don't need a straight 2 weeks. Take off Friday night and come back Saturday. I try to go out at lease once a month and recreate in the woods. The majority of this is a quick Friday night to Saturday.

hunter63
05-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Don't you hate it when that happens??

At least you get to eat the out of date Twinkies and change out the bottled water.

Batteries, batteries, batteries.....

cacteye
08-08-2015, 02:31 AM
Thank you all for the information! you are all correct, I decided(my GF nearly killed me for this) to incorporate Wilderness survival techniques into my everyday life. I sold my electric stove and bought a wood stove. I no longer buy purified water, I built a small still for my water, and daily top-up a 55 gallon drum. I've expanded my garden beds and begun to chopping wood weekly of course. I take my woman with me to the woods at least once a month for a day trip and sometimes if the weather(and her temper) permits we stay the night. She makes survival foods, Mostly dehydrated food in jar's, trail mixes, etc.(this is what she loves doing the most). I introduced her to Pemmican and she decided that she will marry me based off of that alone!

As far as candles I normally try to keep them all individually wrapped in plastic baggies so when they finally do melt, I take them out and rub the wax into de-woven wool, sisal, twines etc. helps them catch a spark easier I have found.

pete lynch
08-08-2015, 05:51 AM
That sounds more like primitive living to me than "wilderness survival".
But if it makes you and fiance( congrats!) happier, then keep it up.

hunter63
08-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
Remember, practicing wilderness survival and primitive living can be fun and enjoyable....when you DON"T NEED to do it.

The idea is to learn and practice when it is fun and optional.....and can be a way of living.

DeadLeaf
08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah I can relate to this..
Prepare for another ramble :ninja:
I've always wondered how people could do 60 hour weeks.. my longest work weeks weren't too much more than 50 usually. But consistent over time always makes my mind race with questions. Anyways..
I commuted rather far for work so it adds up in the end.. I'd be out before the sun came up and wouldn't get home till after sun down. Backpacking and survival skills wasn't much more than a slowly developing hobby. I had my lady too..which she humored me a couple times by coming out with me..ultimately she wasn't a fan of the outdoors.
Needless to say..she's gone now. Sad story, but you know what? I'm glad I didn't get married.
Long story short.. I gave up my career too. I figured if it was just pushing away everything i love, it wasn't worth surviving that way anymore. It was killing me too so since I've quit I'm doing much better.
It's given me more time to work on skills and develop a real sense of being alone and having nothing to stop me from seeking out a real adventure. So I can't say in the end that it will be my hobby anymore. I'm gonna have to learn how to adapt survival skills with an actual way of life.

Rick
08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Umm. You could have moved closer to work. I don't understand being 33 and just quitting work to live with mom and dad because the stress is too much. The stress of a job is nothing compared to trying to live in the wild. Obviously, it's your life and if you and your family are cool with it then it's nothing to me. I'm not judging just don't understand it.

sjj
08-08-2015, 12:03 PM

DeadLeaf
08-08-2015, 12:08 PM
I got feelings ya know..

Not that i want to get into it.
As far as moving closer that wasn't an option because I commuted a couple hours in different directions not just one location like many people get to enjoy (or take for granted). My health started to become a major issue and then my fiancé decided to split. When I reached the end of my rope, my parents wanted me to come home to recover. It was bad. I'm doing better though. I'm not just living off my parents, I've done a lot for them and they are just making sure I'm taken care of till I decide what I'm gonna do. I've got work coming up, and I'm working on some technical personal stuff that's nobodies business that my parents are also helping me with so basically what I'm saying is that it makes sense to live with them. We are a family after all.
I also have my old neighbor who wants me to live with her in exchange for fixing her house up but she has to evict the person renting from her first..so I'm waiting for that.

Not that it matters :sad:

Rick
08-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Seriously, you don't have to justify or even explain your life to me. As I said, I wasn't judging. I just don't understand the whole living with mom and dad thing. I would have shoveled sh@@ with a garden trowel before I went back home and my kids know the nest was for birth and nurturing. Once you leave, you leave. That's not to say we don't help them from time to time but God gave us two feet to stand on our own at some point. But, hey, that's just me. You don't live in my house so what I think doesn't matter a whit. Nor should it.

cacteye
08-08-2015, 05:46 PM
thanks Pete and hunter. Sorry to hear about your woes troubles and pressures Deadleaf. I have been through my fair share of horrible situations....Lucky for me my job requires little to no brain function. so the pressure is super low, little or no stress. the hours are so many because I choose to work extra ones to have some extra $ to provide a wonderful home for myself and my GF.(fortunately everything is in my name and I will have my GF sign a Pre-nup...She's already agreed!) I have worked for a bank before as an adviser and investor in-training...It was a living hell! I got ulcers, GIRD, the runs, Phantom heart attack syndromes, and my hair started to fall out. I was getting paid fairly decent too but it wasnt worth even half the crap that I went through. Luckily I got the loan and build the house prior to leaving that job. I feel your pain Deadleaf!