PDA

View Full Version : Been out in the woods

beerrunner13
04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a small consulting job over in Marion County. Not wanting to spend three or four hours in the truck for a few days and being to cheap to pay for the gas I decided tostay in the Ocala National Forest and test out just how good my car kit was. All I took was what I normaly carry in my truck, the wife was OK with it but asked me aren't you going to pack? I keep a pretty good kit in the truck cooking gear , MREs, 2 man tent fishing gear and all sorts of goodies but I figured with the weather so nice what the hell let's see what wer'e missing. Everything went well for the three days I wa there seting up camp in the afternoon and tearing it down in the morning and going to the job. To well in fact.

When the job was done I was driveing home and kind of bumming out about being in town so when I got back I watered my garden checked on the new stuff I planted the day before leaveing and started packing up my big pack and some more gear. When the wife got home I asked if she minded if I went out to the State Forest for a few daysbeing the good girl she is she told me be careful and take my cell phone[ I hate the dang thing} and I was off again she took care of my garden { which is kicking butt} and came out to where I was camping and spent part of the weekend withme and I got to spend aother week in the woods , Saw the ranger a few times , my wife when she came out and a few hikers on Sunday, but the rest of the time it was just me and the woods. Did a lot of fishing some hikeing and lots of practiceing of skills I haven't been useing much since I moved to town Also lost about ten pounds and regain some of my sanity.

Yes I had a geat time and boy do I have a lot of reading to do here I see almost 8 pages of unread posts, so I better get busy.

nell67
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome time beerrunner!

crashdive123
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a good trip.

Alpine_Sapper
04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you had a blast.

Aurelius95
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Besides having a great time, what things were you surprised about (if any). I mean, did you overlook anything that you missed later on, or is there a skill you are better at now than when you left?

Sounds like it was a good time.

beerrunner13
04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Besides having a great time, what things were you surprised about (if any). I mean, did you overlook anything that you missed later on, or is there a skill you are better at now than when you left?

Sounds like it was a good time.

I keep a machette and a hatchet in the tool box and I was suprised I used the harchett a lot more and I didn't have a skeeter net in the truck so the hamock was not to much fus, the bugs are bad here already, and when I was at the house I did get a big net, I like the hamock better down here as it is cooler if ya can keep the bugs off you. Also I will be adding some kind of stove to my truck kit. I had a lot of stuff in the truck I never even used. Oh yeah one other thing I will be adding to the truck kit is a water filter. I had tabs and stuff to boil it in but I would add a filter of some sort. It was not an issue as I filled my canteens at the farm I was doing the job at, but the water in the swamps here is full of little nastys. :eek: