PDA

View Full Version : Weeviils are evil

DSJohnson
04-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Going though my "truck" bag this morning. Getting ready to take a little road trip and even though I was in my bag two weeks ago I found bugs in my "hard ration" bag. Dang weevils eat through the pack cloth stuff sack, two different freezer zip lock baggies and the dang wrappers on all 6 of my various brand protein "High Energy" bars. I guess I will start using a "wet" bag for my food stash bag. Very frustrating. Oh well now I just need to restock and move on. Thank you for letting me vent. They did not get the sardines!!!! Hmm....Maybe a Pelican box would be weevil proof.

1stimestar
04-18-2015, 02:37 AM
I remember my mom sending us down the road to the horse pasture with a box of oatmeal that the weevils had gotten into. Not much experience with them other then that.

crashdive123
04-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Stored product pests (weevils and beetles) can be a troublesome invader. I have not read anything where they are disease vectors, so just freeze what they are in and munch away. A little extra protein is could for you.

LowKey
04-18-2015, 07:35 AM
A lot of times I suspect those holes are weevils chewing their way out and that maybe the product was infected at the store.

edr730
04-18-2015, 07:43 AM
My mother used bay leaves. I've used mint. I get complaints about the mint. Freezing kills them the same way that it kills mosquitos and other insects.

hayshaker
04-18-2015, 08:26 AM
weevellarvae come in the boxes and bags of various grains. years ago i used to work at a health food store
and used to regularly check the bags and boxes of the organic grains and cereals. placing grains in a 5gal pail
with dryice let the gasses float out of the pail when they do that place the lid on and seal good a few days that should get,em

DSJohnson
04-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Thank you all. So new step in the SOP. Put all my hard rations/grains in the freezer for a week before I put them in the various bags/stashes. Simple enough. I appreciate the help!

Rick
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Actually, they don't come in the box. There are FDA standards that have to be met. Albeit a tad lax with regard to insect pieces parts for my taste (get it? I slay myself!). They burrow from the outside in.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml

1stimestar
04-18-2015, 04:00 PM
My mother used bay leaves. I've used mint. I get complaints about the mint. Freezing kills them the same way that it kills mosquitos and other insects.

Oh yea. I had forgotten until you mentioned it. My mom used bay leaves as well.

hunter63
04-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Had a few run ins with them my self.....Like these?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0823.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/hunter63/media/DSCF0823.jpg.html)

Metal cans, and check regular.

crashdive123
04-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Since DSJohnson is a Submarine guy he may have run into this.....

You could always tell when the cooks ran into a batch of rice that had rice weevils in it. "Dirty rice" was on the menu a lot - no more white rice. It's not like we had a place to re-supply.

hayshaker
04-19-2015, 11:54 AM
seriously i heard you sub guys ate steak&lobster or was it freeze dri/? what did you eat on the
boat just curious that,s all

tundrabadger
04-19-2015, 02:05 PM
I've always felt kind of blessed that we never found weevils in our sealift when I was a kid....i hate to think what that would have been like.

See if you can't at least get rid of the larger 50% of them, that's my advice.

crashdive123
04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
seriously i heard you sub guys ate steak&lobster or was it freeze dri/? what did you eat on the
boat just curious that,s all

We ate well.

DSJohnson
04-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Thank all of y'all for your suggestions and ideas.