PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Need a Bug Out Bag?

Rick
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Here is an excellent answer to that question.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-fire28apr28,0,6058002.story

MCBushbaby
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
With minimal stuff as I have, if I put a couple bottles of water in my backpack the only thing I'd really lose are some books, my futon, and some clothes. Maybe instead of practicing for bugging out, people should focus on throwing out all the crap they accumulate over the years. I just cleaned my apartment the other day... why the hell did I keep 50 floppy disks for 8 years?

However, the wedding folks would certainly win at the "most bizarre wedding themes" with a wildfire a block away. :) Would look neat with lightning and some orange and red floral arrangements. Maybe a goth wedding?

Rick
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
With the band playing Hot Hot Hot by Buster Poindexter and they could serve....drum roll please......are you ready? ........ hotcakes!

Alpine_Sapper
04-27-2008, 06:16 PM
And hotdogs.

Rick
04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Hot dang! You're right!

Arkansas_Ranger
04-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm not a search and rescue technician, but NASAR is considered as the main player in SAR. To that end, they teach their technicians how to survive.

NASAR suggests as a minimum personal equipment list (24 hour ready bag)
1 plastic bag
4 acetaminophen or aspirin
4 antacid
2 antiseptic pads
1 antiseptic ointment
6 assorted bandaids
1 long burning candle
2 cotton swabs
1 roll duct tape
1 leaf bag
8 matches in waterproof container
1 moleskin
2 quarters for phone call (do pay phones still exist????)
1 razor blade, safety type
1 roller gauze bandage
2 safety pins
1 tweezers
1 space blanket
1 towelette
1 whistle
1 1800 cubic inch pack
4 ziploc bags
1 bandana
1 cap or other headgear
2 locking gate carabiners
1 waterproof clothes bag
1 clothing, adequate for climate
1 clothing, extra set, suitable for climate
1 orinteering compass
1 roll flagging tape
1 flashlight or lantern
1 flashlight, extra batteries & bulb
1 sturdy, adequate for climate footwear
1 durable gloves
1 insect repellent
1 multi knife
1 lip balm with spf
1 18" measuring device (SAR related)
1 metal cup or pot
1 small mirror
1 nylon twine or small rope, 50'
1 pad & pencil
2 prusik cords. 6'
1 durable rainwear
1 SAR personal ID
1 shelter material, 8x10 coated nylon or plastic
1 multi shears
1 pair extra socks
1 sunscreen
1 pack tissue paper or baby wipes
1 tracking stick, 42" (SAR related)
1 watch
2 water containers, at least 1 liter in size
1 1" tubular webbing
1 5'-10' woven steel wire
8 wire ties

optional:
2 antihistamines
2 extra leaf bags
1 extra water container
1 foam pad
2 foods, nonperishable
1 pair of gaiters
1 pack rain cover
1 sterno or stove
1 pair UV sunglasses
1 set of trail snacks
1 vial of water purification tablets

I can see stuff I'd like to have that's not listed, and they've listed a few things I think aren't worth keeping track of. The most obvious thing to me is a need for more fire starters including more matches; more knives, etc; more bandage and first aid material which weighs next to nothing; and I could go on.

wareagle69
04-28-2008, 12:49 AM
wow to me that seeems like allot of useless stuff to carry. now that being said i used to think that way that i had to carry everything in with me, it has been in the last year since i started studying bushcraft that i have learned how liberating it is to be able to go in with less and less evry time with confidence to be able to deal with any situation, i realize that list is from search and rescue, but i have a pack from my past as a medic and it does not include most of that list i guess because it is not a personal bag but a rescue bag for emergencies..

Rick
04-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Everyone's bag should be personalized for them and/or their family. The list you have is a good one. It equips you, from a SAR perspective, to be ready for most encounters. Since my bug out bag is for a required evacuation like the link I posted I think about Red Cross shelter living or something along those lines. So my BOB is made up accordingly. Of course, I have my pack as well.

There would be a huge difference between a BOB for someone in AK and someone in Florida.....IMHO.

Aurelius95
04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
And hotdogs.

What about "hota**es?"? The story mentioned donkeys riding in musical instruments and such. I imagine it was like a Shakespeare festival...

Ridge Wolf
04-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Personally, I am leaning more towards a covered utility trailer with everything already packed into it and ready to go... That would include food stores and all necessary outdoor equipment to sustain a slightly upgraded minimal lifestyle whereever I am 'evacuated'? to.

Arkansas_Ranger
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I didn't think that was a lot of medical stuff personally. Maybe it is for most bug out bags. I'm new to the whole BOB thing anyway. I always keep a good helping of anti-inflammatories and antihistamines around me anyway, and ziploc bags are invaluable. I'm not defending that list. It was just a template. I'm thinking of packing a BOB.

Rick
04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Great post, Remy. Arkansas, I wasn't criticizing your list at all. For one person it will be more than enough and for the next person it will be completely wrong.

Remy used one word that the overwhelming majority don't do and that's rehearse. You'll never know if your BOB is right for you and your family until you stress it. Do a walk through and find out what you need and what you forgot.

A couple of things to keep in mind in a true BO situation are medicines, any required documents like military ID and/or professional licenses, special needs such as ostomy equipment and, of course, pets.

crashdive123
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Just a quick note on fire resistant safes for the home. Saw a report a couple of years ago that tested them. They ARE NOT all created equal. With some of them, the contents burned rather quickly. Do your homework if you are going to use one of these to protect your valuables.

dilligaf2u2
04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I have a trailer with an old camper on it. The inside is only 6.5 foot long. TDW told me to get the tires fixed and get that ready as a bug out storage place. I could hook the trailer to the truck and in a matter of minutes be on our way.

To me that was a good idea. I'll need to grease the bearings. It has sat in the same place for 5 years.

Wildfire is not a problem here. But I can think of several other reasons to have one ready. This would also keep the truck bed clear for the bike and other things the wife wants to save.

Don

Arkansas_Ranger
04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Great post, Remy. Arkansas, I wasn't criticizing your list at all. For one person it will be more than enough and for the next person it will be completely wrong.

Remy used one word that the overwhelming majority don't do and that's rehearse. You'll never know if your BOB is right for you and your family until you stress it. Do a walk through and find out what you need and what you forgot.

A couple of things to keep in mind in a true BO situation are medicines, any required documents like military ID and/or professional licenses, special needs such as ostomy equipment and, of course, pets.

Oh, I knew you weren't criticizing. No prob there... I wasn't taking it like that. I'm simply new to the phrase "bug out bag" so I didn't know if there was a uniform method of stocking them. I do know that each situation will be different, and every environment is different thus a different need for different things.

I see what all of you are saying about evacuations, etc. I live in simple Arkansas on the side of the state where the New Madrid fault isn't a biggie, and I'm not going to flood. My biased mind simply thought of "getting lost or going to go get lost woods."

I've always carried a variety of things around in my vehicles that I want to have on hand and don't want to have to go look for when I need them. I've just never had a handy bag. Gives me a new hobby...researching my bag :D

Rick
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Here are some things you can wrap your mind around. Any or all might need a bug out bag.

Biological Threat:
A biological attack is the deliberate release of germs or other biological substances that can make you sick. Many agents must be inhaled, enter through a cut in the skin or be eaten to make you sick. Some biological agents, such as anthrax, do not cause contagious diseases. Others, like the smallpox virus, can result in diseases you can catch from other people.

Chemical Threat:
A chemical attack is the deliberate release of a toxic gas, liquid or solid that can poison people and the environment.

Dam Failure:
A dam failure or levee breach is a catastrophic event characterized by the sudden, rapid, and uncontrolled release of impounded water.

Earthquakes:
An earthquake is the sudden, rapid shaking of the Earth, caused by the breaking and shifting of subterranean rock.

Explosion:
A release of mechanical, chemical or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.

Extreme Heat:
An extended period of high temperatures often accompanied by high humidity.

Fire:
A state, process or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame.

Flood:
Refers to the overflowing of normally dry areas, often after heavy rains. Flood is usually applied to the overflow of a great body of water, as, for example, a river, although it may refer to any water that overflows an area.

Hazardous Material:
Any substance or mixture of substances having properties capable of producing adverse effects on the health and safety or the environment of a human being.

Hurricane:
A severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Influenza Pandemic:
A pandemic is a global disease outbreak. An influenza pandemic occurs when a new influenza A virus emerges for which there is little or no known immunity in the human population and the virus begins to cause serious illness and then spreads easily person-to-person worldwide.

Landslide/Debris Flow:
Landslides, also known as mudslides and debris flows, are the downward falling or sliding of a mass of soil, detritus or rock on or from a steep slope. They can be caused by a variety of factors including earthquakes, storms, and fires.

Nuclear Threat:
An explosion with intense light and heat, a damaging pressure wave and widespread radioactive material that can contaminate the air, water and ground surfaces for miles around. An event typically recognized with an attack by a foreign power.

Nuclear Power Plant Emergency:
An accident comprised by the release of radioactive material from the plant into the environment, usually characterized by a plume (cloud-like formation) of radioactive gases and particles. The major hazards to people in the vicinity of the plume are radiation exposure to the body from the cloud and particles deposited on the ground, inhalation of radioactive materials, and ingestion of radioactive materials.

There are two “emergency planning zones” in the event of an accident. One zone covers an area within a 10-mile radius of the plant, where it is possible that people could be harmed by direct radiation exposure. The second zone covers a broader area, usually up to a 50-mile radius from the plant, where radioactive materials could contaminate water supplies, food crops, and livestock.

Radiation Threat:
A radiation threat, commonly referred to as a "dirty bomb" or "radiological dispersion device (RDD)", is the use of common explosives to spread radioactive materials over a targeted area. It is not a nuclear blast. The force of the explosion and radioactive contamination will be more localized.

Terrorism:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Thunderstorm:
A transient storm of lightning and thunder, usually with rain and gusty winds, sometimes with hail or snow, produced by cumulonimbus clouds.

Tornado:
A localized, violently destructive windstorm occurring over land, esp. in the Mid-West, and characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud extending toward the ground and made visible by condensation and debris.

Tsunami:
Tsunamis, also known as seismic sea waves, are enormous waves caused by an underground disturbance such as an earthquake or volcanic eruption. They can move hundreds of miles per hour and hit land with waves topping 100 feet in height.

Volcano:
A vent in the earth's crust through which lava, steam, ashes, etc., are expelled, either continuously or at irregular intervals.

Wildfire:
Any large fire that spreads rapidly and is hard to extinguish.

Winter Storm or Extreme Cold:
A severe winter condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and heavy blowing snow.

Ridge Wolf
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a trailer with an old camper on it. The inside is only 6.5 foot long. TDW told me to get the tires fixed and get that ready as a bug out storage place. I could hook the trailer to the truck and in a matter of minutes be on our way.

To me that was a good idea. I'll need to grease the bearings. It has sat in the same place for 5 years.

Wildfire is not a problem here. But I can think of several other reasons to have one ready. This would also keep the truck bed clear for the bike and other things the wife wants to save.

Don

There is an important point to consider on using a trailer Don and that is to check the ground clearance at the wheels of the trailer... In the least it should be about the same as the ground clearance on your tow vehicle.. It is possible to raise the ground clearance to suit a 4X4 tow vehicle by getting bigger wheels/tires or by lift kits if necessary. Since a person might not know where he/she is going with it in an actual BOB scenario.. it is good to know that you can go off road and extreme if necessary.

Might do better if you had a couple of spare tires for it also.. Be prepared.

mbarnatl
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
After you have to bug out a couple of times, you really learn what you need. Each person's needs are different. One thing I found very useful... and people will laugh... was a deck of playing cards. Playing cards in a shelter helps pass time and keeps your mind off of things. If you have children, make sure you have some small games or toys for them. Children get bored and cranky very fast in a shelter.

Rick
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I won't laugh at all. I think you are right on the money.

Tony uk
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Bug out bag, Urban Version = Toilet Paper & Water

Alpine_Sapper
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
After you have to bug out a couple of times, you really learn what you need. Each person's needs are different. One thing I found very useful... and people will laugh... was a deck of playing cards. Playing cards in a shelter helps pass time and keeps your mind off of things. If you have children, make sure you have some small games or toys for them. Children get bored and cranky very fast in a shelter.

Throw five dice in there and you got a ready made engineer field entertainment pack. I've worn the spades off of a deck of cards in the field, and Farkle (10,000) can help pass the time when the cards get old. Also, you can always stash three of the dice and make a little cash (or lose it) playing craps. :)

mbarnatl
04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Throw five dice in there and you got a ready made engineer field entertainment pack. I've worn the spades off of a deck of cards in the field, and Farkle (10,000) can help pass the time when the cards get old. Also, you can always stash three of the dice and make a little cash (or lose it) playing craps. :)

Never heard of Farkle. Just looked it up on Wikipedia. I am going to have to try it. Thanks.

Chicago Dan
05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Here in the Windy City we have had several of the reasons Rick posted on his list but a large threat here was not listed. I really don't include it in Terrorism under the definition I undersand.

The threat: Riots

We have had several disturbances in the city arising from political conventions, Sporting teams winning titles, Trial verdits etc.
Some were limited in scope but I guess if it was your house that was torched or your body beaten then maybe you don't think of it as a small scuffle.

Rick
05-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I believe in bugging in but there are times you just don't have a choice. Bugging out may be the only option:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/17/national/main4104608.shtml