PDA

View Full Version : Our elk taken this past Nov (graphic)

Mountaintrekker
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Just thought I'd share a couple of pics with all of you. I shot this beauty not expecting to when I was out cutting firewood. We figure she was about 750lbs or so on the hoof. Pics are at a friends house, they had running water and lots of kids with little money so we shared with them. Like a good tribe does. :)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/eschreier/2008Pics019.jpg

That's me with the elk (strong table!) Notice the sawzall... makes going through the bones like butter!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/eschreier/2008Pics022.jpg

My beautiful wife to be, myself and 280lbs of wonderful organic elk meat! :D

Tahyo
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Doesn't look like that's a fatty type of meat. What's the usual way of cooking it?

Mountaintrekker
04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
No fat on most deer and elk. This one was taken in Nov and we had one heck of a cold season, so any fat on them is usually gone by then. We mix a little Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage when we do the ground meat portions, that helps when making burgers and meatloaf. Sometimes with the roasts we wrap them in bacon... MMMMMM!
Good point about the fat, in the wild there seems to be a lack of it. That's why some folks who live in the wilds have trouble staying at a healthy weight. Ducks, bears and early moose, not to mention salmon and lake trout are vital if you are subsisting off of the land.

Mountaintrekker
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh, cooking... we make cuts like you see in some stores with beef. Tenderloins, steaks, roasts, backstraps (my favorite after tenderloins), and of course ground meat. So we cook them like you would beef I guess. Grilled, stews, roasts, burgers, meatloaf, etc. We are going to be getting into making our own sausage soon, that will be SWEET!

Tahyo
04-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh, cooking... we make cuts like you see in some stores with beef. Tenderloins, steaks, roasts, backstraps (my favorite after tenderloins), and of course ground meat. So we cook them like you would beef I guess. Grilled, stews, roasts, burgers, meatloaf, etc. We are going to be getting into making our own sausage soon, that will be SWEET!

Every fall I make about 50 lbs of smoked sausage. Just plain old Cajun smoked sausage most of the time. Sometimes someone will bring me some deer meat as I don't hunt very much anymore. I usually mix the deer meat with some pork.
I love sausage. Would be curious to know what I could do with some elk meat.

klkak
04-28-2008, 01:12 AM
I havent had elk since I moved to Alaska. But I get all the moose and caribou I can use and give a whole lot away.

Aurelius95
04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
That's a huge animal! 280 lbs of meat should keep your freezer stocked for quite a while. Since you are transient at the moment, did you give/sell it away? Or do you have a freezer for storage in the Airstream?

Mountaintrekker
04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
We split half with the family that lived by us and were not so successful that season and we have a freezer in the Airstream and we eat 3 to 4 meals a week off of it. I think we still have like 70 lbs or so left :).