PDA

View Full Version : poncho liner

rebel
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
As you know the poncho is a multi use item. I made a cut in the center of the poncho liner to make a serape. Now it can be worn with or without the poncho. It makes a nice cooler weather clothing item. This cuts down on the amount of clothing you may be required to take. The shape helps to break-up your outline. The liner can still be used for a sleeping bag.

Rick
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Pictures, my man. Thousand words and all that.

rebel
04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
As soon as I can find the dang thing again I will! I thought it was in my truck. Not. It'll turn up.

dilligaf2u2
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I have had a poncho liner in the past. I went to a wool blanket.

Army poncho's hang from TDW and my LBE's. We have wool blankets rolled in with them. These offer warmth even if they should get wet. I have used one if these set ups for a lot of years.

Wool just makes better sense then the synthetic blankets.

Don

klkak
04-27-2008, 12:49 AM
I stopped using my liner while still in the military I also switched to a wool blanket. Now I mostly use a windblocker fleece blanket a friend made for me. I use it with a bivybag during the warmer months.

GVan
04-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Great thing about a poncho and liner, they're light weight, can be tossed anywhere and for gotten about until needed, and are great multi purpose tools. Wool and fleece are great for their purposes, but in a pinch the poncho liner works great. I use them all for different needs.

rebel
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
The wind blocker fleece serape/liner would be a good idea. Especially if you could get it in a white or snow camo. Since I still can't find mine I might have to make one of these.

klkak
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I believe my friend bought the windstopper fleece from "NOMAR" of Homer Alaska. I also believe they have several different colors and patterns. Mine is a blue/black plad color.

Arkansas_Ranger
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I always thought the military poncho liners should have a hole to match up with the actual poncho. It seems highly functional, but here I go babbling again.

klkak
04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
The pancho liner was never ment to be used with the pancho in that manner. The idea was that you use them together like a waterproof sleepingbag for places like Veit Nam. Thus the reason it is made of the material it is. It dries very quickly. I switched to a wool blanket because the areas I spent most of my military time was a bit cooler.

rebel
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
The pancho liner was never ment to be used with the pancho in that manner. The idea was that you use them together like a waterproof sleepingbag for places like Veit Nam. Thus the reason it is made of the material it is. It dries very quickly. I switched to a wool blanket because the areas I spent most of my military time was a bit cooler.

Yea. But couldn't a little improvisation be O.K. ?

rebel
04-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I found the dang thing and now I can't get it to in fit the blasted space. Use your imagination. If you can't figure out a hole in the middle then give me a call.

klkak
04-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Yea. But couldn't a little improvisation be O.K. ?

Of course. If you can make something work better for you then go for it. That is why I switched to a wool blanket.

canid
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
...Army poncho's hang from TDW and my LBE's...

you hang ponchos from your dear wife? thats just un-gentleman like behavior.... using her as a coat rack. ;)

beerrunner13
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I have on in most of our kits and the car and truck. Nice and light and warm enough here all year round.

bulrush
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
I cut a slit in a blanket to make it a serape. I use it almost every day in the winter, while watching TV.