PDA

View Full Version : plastic bags for camping

hayshaker
03-27-2015, 09:58 PM
many things we take into the field at times may be sealed in ziploc freezer bags.once used are often discarded.
re use those bags. like putting those nasty socks that will keep even the bears away.
qt&gal ziplocs can be used for makeshift canteens. lg,44gal,6mil trash bags for rain coats,water collecton
bags make shift sleeping bags and so on.mylar foil bags from mre or lurp rations or mountain house foods
can be used to heat water.think outside the box.

randyt
03-27-2015, 10:03 PM
you can even take "walmart" bags and braid a rope from them.

hayshaker
03-27-2015, 10:38 PM
plastic bags can be used to keep feet dry as well. hats too are another use
as well as tinder dry sacks.

randyt
03-27-2015, 10:43 PM
as a kid we used bread bags in our boots. also bags can be put over foliage to collect water

jdbushcraft
03-28-2015, 02:25 AM
I I would use garbage bags for food or water are often chemically treated are not food safe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jdbushcraft
03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Should be , wouldn't use garbage bags. Won't allow me to edit it.

madmax
03-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Good friends espouse the benefits of plastic bags. And yes, I use ziplocks and dry bags. Not proud of it.

hayshaker
03-28-2015, 11:21 AM
ziplocs are for the food, rubbish bags are for the water which should be filtered even rain water any how.

hunter63
03-28-2015, 12:02 PM
as a kid we used bread bags in our boots. also bags can be put over foliage to collect water

LOL......Bread bags of boots........Jack Pine Savage Pack boot.....LOL

The boy had broken his foot, cast on....wanted to go deer hunting.......so it was bread bags on the cast....down thru the woods he goes....changing bags every 10 minutes or so.....Should have seen that cast......LOL

I still carry the them in hunting coats and fanny packs for "got your boot/sock soaked"...take wet sock off...put on dry sock with bag over and put boot back on.

Works even if you don't have a dry sock.....the wool will still keep you warm if you put the bag on your foot....then the sock and boot back on.

You know I always get a kick out of the "condom" for water transport.....Now that is just silly....I need more water than that!

Zip lock and plastic bags all the way.....if you can't find a water bottle......I gonna guess most places with have one at least every 5 ft. if you are anywhere close to a road.

Poncho, waders, shelters, ground cloth.....and carrying most anything you don't what the get dirty, or hang on to, foraged stuff......

Good reminder post HS...

Rick
03-28-2015, 12:31 PM
I always carried bread bags on the truck around mushroom season. Came walking out of the woods one day to see my boss's car sitting behind the truck. Chucked the mushrooms behind a tree and walked on down.

"What ya doin'?" he asked.
"Nature call," I said.

He told me what he had to tell me then told me not to forget my mushrooms.

Mannlicher
04-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I never throw away a zip lock bag. :)

randyt
04-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I like the ziplock bags with the built in zipper.

hunter63
04-20-2015, 05:45 PM
I never throw away a zip lock bag. :)

There are limits to that....LOL...
DW saves them all as well....when the get a hole in it....or the "zipper" is making a fool out of me...out it goes....Life is too short to fight a stupid bag.

RangerXanatos
04-20-2015, 05:56 PM
My mother saves all plastic bags. When the get holes and can no longer carry items, she sews them into a pillow case for the dogs to sleep on and has used them herself. Said they were comfortable but rather noisy.

rebel
04-20-2015, 11:43 PM
One of those "there I was moments " . So , I picked up a couple of plastic bags for my feet to watch a very cold and wet NY thanksgiving parade .

jdbushcraft
04-21-2015, 07:15 AM

You know I always get a kick out of the "condom" for water transport.....Now that is just silly....I need more water than that!

Buy bigger condoms. ;-). Most will hold 2 liters of water

Enigma
04-21-2015, 08:09 AM

Cody Lundin promotes using condoms in his book. He must never have actually tried it. (The most stupidest and inept way to carry water in 2015, that it is actually laughable). He also seems to forget his book is marketed throughout the world, (not just in California), so most peple dont have a clue what a Bandana is , or have ever owned one. (Because you're then supposed to then take off your bandana or sock to nurse a stupid condom full of water, while traversing and navigating off track!!! yep, a written script right out of one of those stupid 'reality' survivor TV shows)

A box of 50 sandwhich bags costs a few bucks, and they will do 100 times a better job at water carrying, than a ridiculous condom. You can also use the Sodis method with them, try that with a condom on the ground!

Rick
04-21-2015, 09:48 AM
So how do you really feel about it? I would think the most stupid and inept way to carry water would be in a can with no bottom but that's just me. :innocent:

jdbushcraft
04-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Cody Lundin promotes using condoms in his book. He must never have actually tried it. (The most stupidest and inept way to carry water in 2015, that it is actually laughable). He also seems to forget his book is marketed throughout the world, (not just in California), so most peple dont have a clue what a Bandana is , or have ever owned one.

What is totally hysterical is you thinking nobody outside of California knows what a bandana is. The word isn't even American in origin.

Faiaoga
04-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Plastic bags can be very useful. A group us walked up a very high mountain in the tropics wearing jungle boots, running shoes, sport shoes and other unsuitable footwear but kept our feet warm and dry by putting plastic sandwich bags over our stockings. Even though the summit was cold and wet, with ice at the very top, plastic sandwich bags over several layers of stockings made a good substitute for properly insulated and water resistant mountain boots. :o

crashdive123
04-21-2015, 02:49 PM
I agree that condoms are not good for water transport........every time I retrieved one from my wallet it was dry rotted from age. ***sigh***

Rick
04-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Buhahaha. Yeah, that or the moths ate 'em. Too funny.

madmax
04-21-2015, 03:52 PM
I agree that condoms are not good for water transport........every time I retrieved one from my wallet it was dry rotted from age. ***sigh***

TMI. I think I might rather die of dehydration than drink outa condom...and I like Cody.

hunter63
04-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Buy bigger condoms. ;-). Most will hold 2 liters of water

I don't need bigger condoms......besides those things have the cute little fingers, and bumps get in the way....

Zack
04-21-2015, 09:37 PM
I used to always carry some plastic shopping bags in my daypack. Then I got a roll of blaze orange doggie waste bags. They're big enough to be practical and the highly visible color never hurts.

Enigma
04-22-2015, 05:23 AM
What is totally hysterical is you thinking nobody outside of California knows what a bandana is. The word isn't even American in origin.

I'm glad you got a laugh. So is water carrying via condom, your number 1 way of carrying fluids?

Enigma
04-22-2015, 05:28 AM
I used to always carry some plastic shopping bags in my daypack. Then I got a roll of blaze orange doggie waste bags. They're big enough to be practical and the highly visible color never hurts.

excellent. Common sense, and the one item has 2 uses.

let's all try signalling with a broken condom hey? :-)

Enigma
04-22-2015, 05:32 AM
Plastic bags can be very useful. A group us walked up a very high mountain in the tropics wearing jungle boots, running shoes, sport shoes and other unsuitable footwear but kept our feet warm and dry by putting plastic sandwich bags over our stockings. Even though the summit was cold and wet, with ice at the very top, plastic sandwich bags over several layers of stockings made a good substitute for properly insulated and water resistant mountain boots. :o
Excellent. Common sense again.
A THIRD use for plastic bags. Did you try pulling some condoms over your feet at all? let me know how it goes if you do try it. JDBushcraft and Cody promote it. :-)

Rick
04-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Here's a ton of stuff that can be made from trash bags. It starts at post 7.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?1071-Multi-use-items!&highlight=plastic+bags

MrFixIt
04-22-2015, 08:46 AM
I keep several types and sizes in all of my kits.
Multi use items are high on my priority list.

jdbushcraft
04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
How many zip locks, garbage bags and dog poop bags fit in an altoids tin?

jdbushcraft
04-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Excellent. Common sense again.
A THIRD use for plastic bags. Did you try pulling some condoms over your feet at all? let me know how it goes if you do try it. JDBushcraft and Cody promote it. :-)

Lack of breath ability causes moisture build up. Moisture causes freezing. Have at your bagged feet.

hunter63
04-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Have used them for foot wear water proofing.....wet wool pack in boots boots, will still insulate,.... but need to keep your foot dry ....so used bread bags to keep feet dry inside the pack's.

Emergency short term use only...not for general use.

jdbushcraft
04-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Bags will block outside water, but then you still have wet boots, and the bags increase perspiration. Net result, wet boots, wet socks, cold feet. Did it when I was in Germany and won't do it again

jdbushcraft
04-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Have used them for foot wear water proofing.....wet wool pack in boots boots, will still insulate,.... but need to keep your foot dry ....so used bread bags to keep feet dry inside the pack's.

Emergency short term use only...not for general use.

This forum really needs a thanks button...

hunter63
04-22-2015, 02:41 PM
This forum really needs a thanks button...

Little star on right side lower, next to "Blog this post".... is "Reputation" button, about the closest thing we have.
Make the green balls under your name increase.

Rick
04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
And we all know there's nothing on this forum we want more than green balls..I mean...reputation. You know.

Desert Rat!
04-25-2015, 05:33 PM
I always carry a large trash bag(dark color) to make a solar still, vital in my part of the world, carry one in every pack and vehicle.

natertot
04-26-2015, 02:41 AM
The problem with condoms for water is I would question the safety of ingestion with the lubricants and spermicides that are on them. I do take a condom with me hunting for when it rains. Slip it over the barrel and it keeps the water out.

Batch
04-26-2015, 08:52 AM
You use non-lubricated and non-spermicidal condoms.

I don't carry condoms for use as a water vessel either though. I carry several gallon ziplock bags and 2 barrel liners. In addition to my hydration bladder and any water bottles.

Farley
04-26-2015, 10:54 PM
I bring large heavy duty ziplocks with the litres marked on the outside with a sharpy and chlorine tabs. Also 2 55gal drum liners. All can fit in one cargo pocket with room to spare. Think of all the uses that combo has and it doesnt take up much room.

Faiaoga
04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
A box of standard wooden strike on box wooden matches can be wrapped in a plastic sandwich bag and secured with a rubber band. Not as cool as a windproof cigarette lighter or a fire steel, but not as expensive.:clover:

Wildthang
04-29-2015, 02:41 PM
I always carry a couple of the contractor heavy mil trash bags with me in my backpack. I had a storm blow in one afternoon as I was hiking back to the truck, and the temperature dropped and it started raining like crazy! Had no time to even look for shelter so I slipped on of those trash bags over me head and cut a small hole to see through. I just stood beneath a tree for about an hour until the rain passed on, and I was dry as a bone except for my legs. I was actually quite warm in that bag because it kept me dry and kept the wind off of me as well! I love those big contractor bags! they are not as good as a raincoat but definitely better than nothing!