PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!!

eddiec
07-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi, everyone. How's it going? I'm not into survivalism as a hobby,so much as I'm a hiker looking to improve my skills, and this looks to be the best site for it. I guess you could say I'm a born again hiker. I used to hike and go on backcountry excursions a lot when I was younger, thinner, and single. Now I'm 34y/o, 60 pounds overweight, and have basically done a ton of damage to my innards because of my vices(smoking, drinking,etc). I'm looking to get healthy again, so I've turned back to the wilderness to make me better. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, and to read about your experiences on the trail(or lack thereof).

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi, everyone. How's it going? I'm not into survivalism as a hobby,so much as I'm a hiker looking to improve my skills, and this looks to be the best site for it. I guess you could say I'm a born again hiker. I used to hike and go on backcountry excursions a lot when I was younger, thinner, and single. Now I'm 34y/o, 60 pounds overweight, and have basically done a ton of damage to my innards because of my vices(smoking, drinking,etc). I'm looking to get healthy again, so I've turned back to the wilderness to make me better. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, and to read about your experiences on the trail(or lack thereof).

Welcome Eddie! I used to live in Decatur & worked for awhile as an insurance agent for Banker's Life & Casualty in Springfield, right off by the Shopko near the mall! If you want to really get into shape you should give serious thought to getting rid of the drinking & smoking, if you haven't already done so. If you are into backpacking then you probably have subscribed to Backpacker magazine. Check out the October 2006 issue on survival, it's a good starting place!

eddiec
07-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Cool, Sarge!! I currently work in Decatur as a welder. It's one heck of a commute from Springfield, but you got to go where there's work, right? I'm currently trying to quit smoking, and have cut way back on the beer. I recently have been doing short little hikes on some local trails and am planning to take an extended trek at Panther Creek state park. Maybe I'll utilize some of those survival skills I learned here!

nell67
07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!