PDA

View Full Version : Types of Fishing Line

Billy13426
03-07-2015, 08:25 PM
I know that there are several different kinds of fishing line such as Braided and Monofilament line. I personally prefer mono because of the price and the durability, but I was curious what type you guys prefer? I am also curious what strength you guys normally buy. Personally I normally buy the 12lb test for fishing and 30lb for snares and lashing. So let me know what you guys think.

wilderness medic
03-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Spectra or dynema for snares.

LowKey
03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
I use what's appropriate for what I'm fishing for. Basically I have two sets of fishing gear. The light stuff for the lake and the heavy stuff for surf casting.
For the lake I like to use a 10lb light green mono-filament with the leader depending on what I'm fishing for and what time of day it is. First thing in the morning I'll use a light colored leader for the worm jigs I use for bass. In the evening, when the bass will bite anything, I just tie a floater to the mono and have at it.

For surf casting I use a 50lb braided line (spiderwire or Trylene.) If fishing for striped bass, I use a 60" long 50lb clear mono leader. Those fish are wary and have really good eyesight and won't hit on a heavy leader. I use the same leader but with a "fluke bomb" lure if fishing for fluke. If I find myself suddenly fishing for bluefish though, I change immediately to a 24" long 50lb wire leader. Bluefish don't care what the food is attached to. They'll even eat the bright orange floaty thing keeping the bunker up off the bottom away from the crabs. A good size 15-20lb blue will actually chew through a 50lb wire leader before you get him to shore if you aren't quick about it.

I don't use mono for lashing and am very careful to pick up the cuttings if I have to spool off some line after bluefish or rock damage. It's an environmental hazard.
Snaring is illegal here so I don't use either for that either. If I ever had to use it, well, there is the 50lb braided stuff. 300 feet of it on each of my reels plus a spare roll in the tackle bag.

wilderness medic
03-07-2015, 10:18 PM
You should post more fish pictures if you do all that fishing!

LowKey
03-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Um... yeah, you do know I'm a luddite and only use the work-provided iphone on the job... right? My personal phone is an "old man" flip phone with no camera. That's what the kid at the counter called it when he went out back to see if they had any left. I heard him ask, "we got any of those 'old man' phones left?" LOL.

I don't carry a camera in the fishing bag. Guess I could think about whether I feel like carrying it a mile down the beach where I surf fish.
I can take pictures of the gear all day long if you like. That's about to come out of the garage for spring refurb any day now. Just today I was looking up at the poles hanging in the ceiling out there and was just thinking I needed to reline both reels.