PDA

View Full Version : Stings-Believe this or not.....

Ole WV Coot
04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, I'm gonna run this up the flagpole and see if somebody besides me salutes it. I'm not fond of the pain & swelling I get from a bee, wasp or hornet zapping my tender young hide so here is a way to get rid of the pain. Any of you educated brain surgeons or 5th graders can explain why it will or won't work. Always keep a few pennies in your pocket or somewhere and when stung after killing said insect a dozen times at least place a penny on the sting. Don't matter if it's heads or tails up and tape or otherwise fasten it in place. In about 15 min max the pain will go bye bye. The copper will take care of the pain. Don't know why but it works. Another tried & true relief is a nice wet wad of chewing tobacco but I figured most of you would be more likely to have a penny than a poke of Red Man. If you don't believe this before you answer get something to sting you and try it before you knock it. As sure as God made little green apples I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work.:eek:

crashdive123
04-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Coot - If you tell me it works.....I'm a believer.

Rick
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it takes about 15 minutes for the pain to subside if you don't do anything would it?http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/animals/animal0013.gif (http://www.ranksurge.com)

crashdive123
04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Kind of like Granny's cure for the common cold (Beverly Hillbillys) Drink the magic tonic and in 7 to 10 days your cold is gone.

Ole WV Coot
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it takes about 15 minutes for the pain to subside if you don't do anything would it?http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/animals/animal0013.gif (http://www.ranksurge.com)

All I can say is "OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH" , I ain't an MD only a semi- GYN but I do know it works. Until you all go get stung and find out yourselves please don't slander the WV medical profession. :rolleyes:

Assassin Pilot
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Rick beat me to it. But yeah, if you leave it be it will be fine. Also, most pennies nowadays only have a very small amount of copper. After 1982, they started making them out of mainly zinc because they realized that the copper ones cost more to make than they were worth......

Ridge Wolf
04-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Some people wear copper bracelets.... something about increasing the blood flow... or magnetism or something like that.. Might have something to do with it. This is a good one for AdventureDoc.

Rick
04-25-2008, 08:03 AM
or Shaman......:D

dilligaf2u2
04-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I am staying out of this!

My copper bracelet stays where it is and the bar of Ivory soap under the sheets too. They may not or my work but it makes TDw feel good to have soap in bed and I like my bracelet.

Don

Tony uk
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Pennies, Hmmm wonder if it works something like a copper bracelet, Backing soda and vinigar, Bee and wasp stings, One is highly acidic, the other alkalie, Put vinigar on the alkalie sting to nutralise it, Backing soda on the acidic one, And Whaa-Laaa

I think the bee sting is the Acidic one, And a wasps the alkalie, But im not that sure

tunick001
04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Something even more unbelievable would be me. I've NEVER been stung by a bee, wasp, or yellow jacket. And I'm 31 years old.

hermitman
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Could be something like a placeblo if you think its going to work...

Rick
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Tunick - I'll look you up next time I'm getting ready to get stung. Last time I got it was between the fingers when I grabbed a handful of Weeping Willow branches. Wasp was hiding in there and I found him. That's the fastest I've ever let go of any kind of branch. Good golly Molly that hurt.

Buddha443556
04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I remember walking into a nest of yellow jacks at camp when I was like 8. You can keep your pennies, I'll take a cute little camp councilor any day. She made me forget all the pain. :D

Stealth
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
pennies minted after 1983 are composed of more zinc then copper. so i highly doubt the copper has anything to do with relieving the pain, unless you are using pennies before 1983. chances are that it is just the placebo effect along with all those other fancy remedies out there. it could be the pressure the penny puts on the neurons is desensitizing the neurons that sense pain causing a decrease in the sensation of pain. next time try taping a dime to your sting and see if theres a difference.

Ole WV Coot
04-27-2008, 02:39 PM
pennies minted after 1983 are composed of more zinc then copper. so i highly doubt the copper has anything to do with relieving the pain, unless you are using pennies before 1983. chances are that it is just the placebo effect along with all those other fancy remedies out there. it could be the pressure the penny puts on the neurons is desensitizing the neurons that sense pain causing a decrease in the sensation of pain. next time try taping a dime to your sting and see if theres a difference.

I said this was an old remedy so the pennies would naturally be much older than '83. This was back when most people today were wearing 3 cornered pants and drooling. I personally never tried a penny cause I was more likely to have a chew than a penny, that works for sure. I don't know the ingredients except tobacco, whiskey and spit but combine them and they will heal the sick and infirm.:D

Rick
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Coot - If it's any consolation. I tried the 3 cornered pants once and liked it so much I think I'll be trying them again fairly soon. Every time my kids would change a diaper on a grandkid I'd tell them to practice up for the day they had to change mine.:D As for the drooling, I've never broken that habit.

mbarnatl
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
We were talking about GA scorpions the other day and a guy told me he wet some pipe tobacco on it. He said it took the poison out and did not hurt afterwards. I never had heard of that before.

tunick001
04-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I remember walking into a nest of yellow jacks at camp when I was like 8. You can keep your pennies, I'll take a cute little camp councilor any day. She made me forget all the pain. :D

I have 2 brothers that did that also when they were kids. My one brother was 13 and the other was 10. This happened in the early 1990's. They were playing near a hill where there was an underground bee hive. They disturbed it and were each stung about 50 times.

Rick
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Tobacco was a home remedy when I was growing up as a kid. I've even used it on my kids before. I had never heard of the penny remedy though.

carpet_ninja
04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
i wouldnt try this with pure copper dust because if it gets into your blood stream it competes with blood for oxygen and usually wins, but i think its only if you breath it in, correct me if im wrong

Rick
04-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Coot can back me up on this one. Back in the day before insulated telephone service wire was "the in thing" we used open wire. Copper plated steel with no insulation. Many is the time you'd be caught climbing up through some open wire at the very moment someone was getting a call. The end result is the ring current would pass through you leaving green marks on your sides and the taste of pennies in your mouth for the rest of the day. 66 cycle, 90 volt AC will rattle your permanent teeth and cause you to involuntarily utter bad words.

RobertRogers
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Typically the pain gone in 15 if I do not do anything, at least for me. So that means the penny will prolong the pain.

owl_girl
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
When i was a kid we just used mud or baking soada though now days it usually dosnt hurt enought to bother. only if it hits a nerv or somthing i guess otherwise i might not even notice i was stung right away.

Rick
04-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Lady, you have some tough hide. I scream like a girl and wet myself every time I get stung. Whine about it for weeks. I do believe I saw colored circles flying in the sky....no wait. That was those danged mushrooms. Anyway, it hurts like heck.

Alpine_Sapper
04-27-2008, 07:17 PM
When i was a kid we just used mud or baking soada though now days it usually dosnt hurt enought to bother. only if it hits a nerv or somthing i guess otherwise i might not even notice i was stung right away.

When I was 19 I was roller-blading in Wisconsin one day. I took a pretty daring jump and didn't hit my target, spun on my knee pads on the street. Came to a rest and looked down at my arm because I felt movement. Biggest bee I've ever seen with his stinger in my arm just flopping back and forth. Never knew he hit me. I just thought "Huh, wonder how long he's been there?" and *thump* sent him flying. Mistake. Ten years, two army medics, three girlfriends and one wife and I've *still* got part of that stinger embedded in my arm. Still got a tiny hole, too, but you pretty much have to know it's there to see it. TDW tries to get it out periodically with her talons when she's bored, but I think what's left is there for life.

Rick
04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
It's good to have something stable in your life, isn't it?:D

owl_girl
04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
When I was 19 I was roller-blading in Wisconsin one day. I took a pretty daring jump and didn't hit my target, spun on my knee pads on the street. Came to a rest and looked down at my arm because I felt movement. Biggest bee I've ever seen with his stinger in my arm just flopping back and forth. Never knew he hit me. I just thought "Huh, wonder how long he's been there?" and *thump* sent him flying. Mistake. Ten years, two army medics, three girlfriends and one wife and I've *still* got part of that stinger embedded in my arm. Still got a tiny hole, too, but you pretty much have to know it's there to see it. TDW tries to get it out periodically with her talons when she's bored, but I think what's left is there for life.

Wow that sucks. You know ive heard scraping it off is the way to go like with a card or something and to never pluck it.

Ridge Wolf
04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Tunick - I'll look you up next time I'm getting ready to get stung. Last time I got it was between the fingers when I grabbed a handful of Weeping Willow branches. Wasp was hiding in there and I found him. That's the fastest I've ever let go of any kind of branch. Good golly Molly that hurt.

Ahh.. yep.. been there and done that.. 'cept it was a yellow rotating water sprinkler for me.. 'they' were right there under the thing on the shelf.. and they were the kind with the narrow long waist and big butt.. Angry lookin' things.. right between the fingers..

Rick
04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Wasps love to build nests inside the aerial terminals on poles. You learn pretty quickly to tap on the terminal cover just to see who was home. I've popped the cover on a couple and either had to lay waaaaaaay back on the pole until they calmed down or if the nest was large enough..make a hasty retreat.

My boss, me and another co-worked pulled up to a pole in early June and they were swarming the terminal. As luck would have it, it was my co-worker's pole. He eyeballed the situation, looked at me, then looked at the boss.

"You think we could wait awhile for this one?" he asked.
"How long?" asked my boss.
"I was thinking after the first frost."

MCBushbaby
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
You're supposed to scrape off the poison gland with the edge of a knife or credit card and then tweezer out the stinger itself. Pretty much negates any swelling or tenderness, though this is from secondhand experience - I've never been stung :D

bulrush
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
When I went to Hawaii on a hike, the guide told us if we get stung by a jellyfish or sea urchin, to put ammonia on it (he brought vial of it), which will neutralize the venom, which is a type of protein. If you have no ammonia, put urine on it, which has a small amount of ammonia on it. Back in the news a few years back, some minor movie star urinated on some stranger who got badly stung by a jelly fish.

Ammonia might work on a wasp sting. But copper has nothing to do with making it acidic or alkaline. I've been stung by yellow jackets and paper wasps about 5-6 times. On my neck it hurt for only 5 minutes. On other parts, leg, hand and arm, it hurt for about 15 minutes. I did not have any ammonia to try out that cure.

As far as the tobacco cure, I have heard that tobacco juice helps, I just haven't tried it.

Another cure is ice if you have it. Ice the sting for 15 minutes ASAP.

Did you know tobacco juice will actually kill insects? It's the nicotine that kills them.

Ole WV Coot
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
The virtues of tobacco juice is well known in this area. I worked with guys that could knock a wasp out of the air with one good shot. My policy was to tilt the terminal, stick the Wasp Stopper in the other end and wash everything out. I have seen nests 2 ft long(with my hand in the air) and a zillion wasps. Like I said you can get stung and try a penny, me I don't think I will bother. I found the first frost was tough because the wasps didn't fly they walked around the pole waiting for you to grab or lay your arm upon them. Copper wire with ringing current will give you a varied vocabulary and will fry any wasp that might happen to be on your body. A poke of chewing tobacco should be included in every first aid kit. We had good Wasp Stopper which even worked on nosy kids and dogs propelled by freon, froze those suckers. Then the EPA made us use crap that we sprayed in the lid, caught the wasps with a pair of long nose and drown them. I have been stung at least 100 times or more and every one of them hurt and made me sniffle. You folks are too tough for me.

Rick
04-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Wasp stop does not work on Blue Jays. I battled one on a pole one day in the middle of a cherry tree. Rascal kept smacking me in the hard hat. Took a couple of belts before I figured out what it was. I sprayed him down pretty well and he just ruffled up his feathers at me.

Alpine_Sapper
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
The virtues of tobacco juice is well known in this area. I worked with guys that could knock a wasp out of the air with one good shot. My policy was to tilt the terminal, stick the Wasp Stopper in the other end and wash everything out. I have seen nests 2 ft long(with my hand in the air) and a zillion wasps. Like I said you can get stung and try a penny, me I don't think I will bother. I found the first frost was tough because the wasps didn't fly they walked around the pole waiting for you to grab or lay your arm upon them. Copper wire with ringing current will give you a varied vocabulary and will fry any wasp that might happen to be on your body. A poke of chewing tobacco should be included in every first aid kit. We had good Wasp Stopper which even worked on nosy kids and dogs propelled by freon, froze those suckers. Then the EPA made us use crap that we sprayed in the lid, caught the wasps with a pair of long nose and drown them. I have been stung at least 100 times or more and every one of them hurt and made me sniffle. You folks are too tough for me.

Now, there is a WORLD of difference between a red wasp sting and a bee sting.