PDA

View Full Version : Hot water bottle?

Mountaintrekker
04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Just wondering if any of you die-hards like me (cough) would be caught dead with one? I have to say, after a night out in 10 degree weather with some snow thrown in, I heated up some water on the fire and put it in my Platapus collapsible 1 liter bottle and snuggled right up and I slept a heck of a lot better than the night before. Just wondering if one would be worth the weight for some of you? I think an actual hot water bottle will hold the heat longer but if I remember they are a bit on the heavy side. I guess a Nalgene or other bottle would work too.
Now don't go and call me a sissy! :D

Just throwing some ideas out there.

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing wrong with a bedwarmer/bagwarmer.

MMonette
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree cause i like a warm bed on cold nights too!!

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
A Sleeping Bag warmer is what my Killer'Poodle is good for.

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Did I missunderstand something...........You got a woman and your sleeping bag is cold.

Mountaintrekker
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Darn womans got feet like ice!:D

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Well it is 59* above a sunny here 16 hours a day.

Assassin Pilot
04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Any regular thermos or something used for keeping stuff cold will work equally as well for keeping something warm. Most people just don't realize that, but it's simple science really

(when you hear me say that, it means I learned it in the past week in chemistry when I was actually paying attention ;) )

Tahyo
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I never had a problem heating up the water in one of my old canteens and tossing in the foot part of my sleeping bag. When it's really cold outside, I'll take "warm" most anyway I can get it.

crashdive123
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Any regular thermos or something used for keeping stuff cold will work equally as well for keeping something warm. Most people just don't realize that, but it's simple science really

(when you hear me say that, it means I learned it in the past week in chemistry when I was actually paying attention ;) )

The goal of the hot water bottle was to transfer the heat to the bag, not contain the heat to make it stay warm. My Stanley thermos keeps stuff hot or cold for a long time, but does nothing to share those properties with the surrounding environment. (back to chemistry class)

hoosierarcher
04-24-2008, 11:21 PM
You can pack those stick on heat up pads for muscle aches that sports figures promote for lower backs and knees , ankles and wrists and such and put them on various body parts and crawl into your sleeping bag or wrap your blankets around you and they keep heating for 6 to 8 hours. and you're talking truly toasty warm.

Rick
04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
We've talked about these before:

http://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/

hoosierarcher
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Rick I wasn't talking about the Grabber style hand and toe warmers. Those last just about 4 hours. The really good ones for muscle and arthritis pain last 6-8 and wrap or adhere right to the skin so the heat is held in by your clothes, blanket or sleeping bag.

Rick
04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Hotties makes everything from toe warmers to very large body and even two person warmers. The hand warmers last 8 hours and are what I carry.

When I said we had talked about "these" before I wasn't referring to the ones you posted but to the link I put up. Sorry for the confusion.

dilligaf2u2
04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
TDW will not go camping without the Johnie Warmer. Once up in NY state it got down to -80 F with the wind chill. The Arctic sleeping bag was toasty warm with one of the large ones tossed in.

I have done the hot water thing in my army stainless canteen, the same way, a few times.

Sleeping cold is not acceptable.

Don

Rick
04-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Sleeping cold is not acceptable.

I love it. Command the weather, Don. I agree.

dfrench
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Im not sure if you have tried body warmers, I use those and they stay WARM all night... Nobody likes a cold bag! Try http://www.handwarmers.net

welderguy
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
when I lived in Arizona, I went with some "die hard" primitive campers to Flagstaff in January for a weekend camp out, one guy had the bright idea that if he filled up on of them blow up water floats ( that was what he carried as a sleeping pad BTW) with hot water he would stay warm all nite, well about 5 in the am he woke me up cussing and moaning cause his sleep pad was frozen Go figure it didn't get above 30 degrees during the day that weekend and cant remember what the nite dropped to , and he had it laying directly on the snow...... Sorry bout that diversion Now back to the regular post....

crashdive123
02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Im not sure if you have tried body warmers, I use those and they stay WARM all night... Nobody likes a cold bag! Try http://www.handwarmers.net

Hey there Dfrench. How about warming your way on over to the Introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

owl_girl
02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
take some dry rice and put it it a long big sock and tie it shut. put it in the microwave for 2 min or so and it will keep you very warm. and its reusable. it will last for years. less messy then water, no leeks.

Rick
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I never did mind packing the microwave through the woods but the extension cord was a killer.

owl_girl
02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
im sure it will heat fine with other methods. thats just what i used at home.

LowKey
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't be too sure. The microwave heats the rice grains from the inside out. Any other method would probably just toast it. Besides, rice is heavy.

BTW, dried large kernel corn in a cloth bag works in the microwave too. :)

owl_girl
02-10-2010, 10:11 PM
rice is heavy.

grow stronger

BTW, dried large kernel corn in a cloth bag works in the microwave too.

you mean it doesn't turn into popcorn?

Rick
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Only popcorn is...well....popcorn.

owl_girl
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
oh.
we use to make blue popcorn out of blue popcorn kernels. the white part wasnt blue, just the outside that is usually brown after it pops.

Rick
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Okay. But....I can catch on to the fact that the white part isn't blue. Okay? The fact that the white part is brown is a little deep for me, however.

owl_girl
02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
no the white part isnt brown, the brown part is blue, and the white part is white.

linkmissing
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
At home I keep a 2-liter coke bottle filled with water (except for 3 in), microwave for 7 min. then put it in bed so we don't have to turn the heater on. We tell people in Mexico on mission trips to heat water, fill the bottle, for the people with no elec. For BOV you can fill the bottle with: cup of rice, cup of beans, cup of dehydrated veg, baggies with: AA batteries, pen light, meds, hard candy, cash, spices, suture kit, on and on... you get my drift. Actual bottle weighs nothing, waterproof, lots of stuff in it, its great.

finallyME
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Lots of winter campers do this with nalgenes. Good tip. :rockon: