PDA

View Full Version : is this a PC fourm hmm

hayshaker
02-15-2015, 10:42 PM
sometimes i pust a comment and i,m thron off line and have to relog in and repost my comment
is this because some moderator does not like my thoughts or what it,s not the first time by any means.

randyt
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
I've never had that happen. I haven't had a good stress cleansing new world order, anti establishment rant in quite some time though LOL.

crashdive123
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
sometimes i pust a comment and i,m thron off line and have to relog in and repost my comment
is this because some moderator does not like my thoughts or what it,s not the first time by any means.

The only posts we delete are those that violate forum rules, and when we do we sent the poster a private message explaining the situation. I suspect that you you are
thron off line and have to relog in and repost my commentit is because you have timed out due to inactivity. You've been told this before, yet you seem to want to blame the moderators for your inability to operate your phone properly and post. Why is that?

WolfVanZandt
02-16-2015, 03:56 AM
I said something once that a moderator didn't like (because it was against the rules of the forum). They sent me a polite message. If I remember correctly, they didn't delete my post, I did, after I apologized.

Winnie
02-16-2015, 04:07 AM
Well, I think you've answered your own question there. As it obviously doesn't like your phone it must be a PC forum.:laugh:

Rick
02-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Tick the Remember Me box when you log in. Otherwise there is a timeout. Composing a message does not constitute activity. The server sees you on the same screen while you are typing. Only when you change screens does the server recognize activity.

Beyond that, we run willy nilly through posts deleting whatever suits our fancy.

WolfVanZandt
02-16-2015, 04:54 PM
LOL!

I guess that's a hazard of being lazy (like me) and always posting in the Quick Reply) box.

:)

TXyakr
02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Tick the Remember Me box when you log in. Otherwise there is a timeout. Composing a message does not constitute activity. The server sees you on the same screen while you are typing. Only when you change screens does the server recognize activity.

I am a bit of a technology nerd and will attempt to explain what I have learned based on my limited experimentation with various electronic devices and internet browsers. Basically what Rick said is correct but there are several caveats. So here are some things to try.

#1 enter a very brief comment "Post Quick Reply" then go back and edit it to add more details and correct typos this may solve your frustrations of being "thorn off line". Also I prefer to click on "Go Advanced" often that works better. Then edit, server recognizes this as activity but NOT typing.

#2 if using an "Android" SmartPhone try using Chrome Browser not the internet browser that came standard on your phone. Or use Tapatalk which I believe is faster than most Browsers and uses less Bandwidth (related issues). Personally my phone service provider gives me unlimited data but I typically use less than 1 GBytes/month, once I used almost 5GB but was traveling a lot that month with little access to WiFi. Blah Blah not helpful sorry.

#3 Not easy on a Phone or Tablet but if possible "cut and paste" what you have written and paste into a temporary buffer (clipboard/notepad) then if you get logged off you don't loose what you wrote. This is much easier to do with a laptop or desktop PC but possible with most internet connected devices.

#4 mess around experiment and figure out something else there are many ways to skin a cat. These issues are common with most online forums. Its most likely NOT just Rick or Crash or that Kim Jong-un guy, well it might actually be him!

"Beyond that, we run willy nilly through posts deleting whatever suits our fancy." -Rick
Hilarious, gotta love that humor.

Dang it!!! Rick and Crash are going to be rushing to delete this comment to prevent super long posts….. LOL

canid
02-16-2015, 11:42 PM
It might also help to get a full sized keyboard for your phone for when you need to compose large amounts of text.

If you can't or won't spend the price of a bluetooth one, or don't want to deal with batteries you could do as I did and get a female usb a to male usb otg adapter and use a standard usb keyboard. You do have to add an external 5v supply to the bus for this to work. It works with mice and any other usb device android has drivers for. It will likely void your waranty. Some powered hubs work out of the box with some mobile devices but it seems to be very hit and miss.

WolfVanZandt
02-17-2015, 02:43 AM
The only time I ever had a blue tooth was after something I ate (actually, drank) and I never did it again.

TXyakr
02-17-2015, 12:52 PM
canid you are correct typing on most smartphones is irritating and very slow. I'm not sure, but I think "BlueTooth" uses up your battery faster as you suggested. This is especially an issue if you are primitive camping or just traveling by airplane and having trouble finding charging stations etc. I have backpacked with people who take full sized Apple iPads but generally the larger the display screen the faster it drains your battery, that may be a bigger problem than the Bluetooth. In a very quiet environment voice to text apps/SW sorta works but then I find I must go back and edit it. While driving a car (perhaps my vehicle is lousy) these voice to text SW tools are totally worthless due to the ambient noise. But the results can be funny. Also PLEASE!!!! don't walk down a wilderness trail talking into your phone. If a brown bear or someone dressed as one attacks you and you go flying off a cliff, none of us saw it and it never happened. I'm only joking.

Edit:
Hunter63 "I leave my phone off when out and about."

Often I turn the volume off or very low on my phone because it bugs me. There are those times when one of my daughters or wife is trying to get a hold of me and there is "He#" to pay. Or I left the dang thing at home and went to the store for something, they go ballistic on me. I'm like "Hey hey hey how did civilization survive before these doohickey gadgets invaded our lives?"

Mostly it's my kids saying "I forgot to bring something to school with me this morning go dig through my messy room find it and drop it off at the front office." Or Wife "Hey we ran out of that difficult to find 1% organic cow's milk that you never drink, please drive all over town on your way home and find some of it and pick up my prescriptions and feminine hygiene products for me as well." AND THEY WONDER WHY I IGNOR TXT MSG AND AUDIO? ha ha ha

hunter63
02-17-2015, 12:58 PM
I leave my phone off when out and about.

WolfVanZandt
02-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Hmmm....I wonder somehow how society is going to survive with those doohickeys....

wilderness medic
02-17-2015, 04:10 PM
I've never had that happen. I haven't had a good stress cleansing new world order, anti establishment rant in quite some time though LOL.

Lol!

Definitely not a PC site. I only use a Mac and iPhone. Works fine for me. Clearing your history often? Deleting cookies will reset your login information. Not that I'd know, I just heard that somewhere.

Rick
02-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Wolf - The doohickeys are some of the things we use to keep things running. Bubble gum, duct tape and baling wire are in hot demand back in the server room. I think Crash even used a wooden nickle as a shim.

canid
02-17-2015, 05:10 PM
It's a good thing nobody ever gave the server rack the advice my uncle always gave me about accepting them.

finallyME
02-17-2015, 06:20 PM
I generally try to only make disparaging remarks and personal attacks to just the moderators. I get a quicker response that way. By the way, Rick is much faster than Crash at banning you. Sarge takes forever... unless you say that he likes Ranger Rick.

When I make a long post, I use a real key board. That way I can type faster, use MS Word, and make my response or initial comment look halfway intelligent. I hate typing on my phone, and will never use text shorthand. I just wait until I am home to surf the web and comment on forums.

TXyakr
02-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Mobile phones are getting so large it reminds me of the "portable stereos" or "boom boxes" back in the 1980s. At what point is it no longer portable or mobile? What is the difference between a PC and a mobile device? When I refer to my daughter's Mac Book Pro as a PC she gets all upset. Hey I wrote my term papers back in High School on a Zilog Z80 homemade hobby computer (8bits with about 32kB RAM or less) long before IBM came out with the first Intel 8088/8086 PC or the Apple II with those fancy floppy disks. Dang paper punch cards had only recently been replaced with cassette tapes as storage. These floppy disks were incredible, massive memory.

So when folks can't figure out how to use a smartphone or tablet. Well, I just get out my tiny violin. How many computers did you build when you were a kid? Our "internet" was CW and QST messages over shortwave on ham radio, then when BBS came out for PC over phone lines we were "cooking with gas". Good times.

crashdive123
02-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Hmmm....I wonder somehow how society is going to survive with those doohickeys....

I had a doohickey once. Had to wear a turtleneck shirt until it faded.

TXyakr
02-17-2015, 11:30 PM
The best thing about living in the wilderness is you don't need the "AirPNP" app

Any old bush will do.

See this really is a smartphone friendly forum great hints like that!

Or George Costanza from Seinfeld could help you out:

http://youtu.be/JYVBRQ7t46g

Tokwan
02-17-2015, 11:32 PM
I just picked up some piece of rock and start to carve the letters...that works too.

WolfVanZandt
02-18-2015, 03:51 AM
Okay, now I'll admit that the doohickeys that Rick listed are flat out necessities - I might add WD40.

Rick
02-18-2015, 06:39 AM
We tried WD40 once. We bought the really big can because it was on sale. The nozzle got stuck open. What a mess. You can still slide from one end of the server room to the other with just one step. Sarge and Crash have slide races around the room. I told them it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

http://carter_stevens.home.comcast.net/~carter_stevens/images/Flood_pics/IMG_0244.jpg (http://carter_stevens.home.comcast.net/~carter_stevens/images/Flood_pics/IMG_0244.jpg)

randyt
02-18-2015, 06:52 AM
it's all fun and games until someone craps their pants

crashdive123
02-18-2015, 07:04 AM
it's all fun and games until someone craps their pants

Has Sarge been telling stories about me?

randyt
02-18-2015, 07:12 AM
you a charter member? old joke, on the wall of the deer camp outhouse there is a list of charter members that didn't quite make it in time. LOL

crashdive123
02-18-2015, 07:15 AM
:knight::knight::knight:

hunter63
02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
you a charter member? old joke, on the wall of the deer camp outhouse there is a list of charter members that didn't quite make it in time. LOL

Funny how that kind of stuff never goes away.......

WolfVanZandt
02-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Oooh. Is that Sarge under that pile of boxes on the left?

randyt
02-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Funny how that kind of stuff never goes away.......

those charter members are rather proud of themselves lol

hunter63
02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
those charter members are rather proud of themselves lol

AS they should be...inside jokes for ever.....

Our camp was the steak feast.....

Guests were asked....one side or two....by the cook, cooking and sweating over a wood cook stove, shirtless except the apron.

He would ask guests how they wanted it....one side or two....
Trying to fit in, they would almost always say "Two".
He would pick up their steak, slap it against his chest, turn it over an slap the other side as well......

Then throw it on the griddle....proclaiming "double spice".

P.S. I should mention that he was the most hairy guy I had even known.

randyt
02-18-2015, 09:34 PM
just cook it well done, thanks............LOL