PDA

View Full Version : Flint and Quarts!

xxscriptzxx
02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
I strike them together(Clear Quarts Crystal. Location unknown.) and get SMALL sparks.
These are NOT sharpened. I rub them very fast. Prob heated quarts vs flint.
Thank you!

Zack
02-15-2015, 10:09 PM
I strike them together(Clear Quarts Crystal. Location unknown.) and get SMALL sparks.
These are NOT sharpened. I rub them very fast. Prob heated quarts vs flint.
Thank you!

They are both hard rocks, so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

crashdive123
02-15-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm more of a pints and quarts kind of guy.

Rick
02-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Mind your Ps and Qs. By the way, if the location where you found the quartz is unknown then I'm guessing you are probably lost.

Davidlastink
02-16-2015, 10:35 AM
If he was near a river, might be trying to protect location of his claim.

Rick
02-16-2015, 11:39 AM
It's not gold. It's pretty common stuff. I think it's more a kid than anything.

Davidlastink
02-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Quartz near a river indicates gold, was kidding though.

hunter63
02-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Well Pyrite "fools gold" will throw a small spark by striking together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEI7mncO7b4

Gonna have to see this "rubbing to stones together method.....

MrFixIt
02-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Well Pyrite "fools gold" will throw a small spark by striking together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEI7mncO7b4

Gonna have to see this "rubbing to stones together method.....

I think it helps if one of them has matches glued to it...

Iskander
02-16-2015, 05:13 PM
I about made a fool of myself by going off on triboluminescence because I thought he said he just rubbed quartz together, which will create light. But I found this, which is interesting: Steel and iron produce hot sparks when struck against any glassy stone such as quartz, jasper, agate or flint. A flint alone does not produce incandescent embers; it is the flint's ability to violently release small particles of iron, exposing them to oxygen, that starts the burning." I like that "violently" bit. Awesome adjective choice.

Davidlastink
02-16-2015, 05:47 PM
I about made a fool of myself by going off on triboluminescence because I thought he said he just rubbed quartz together, which will create light. But I found this, which is interesting: Steel and iron produce hot sparks when struck against any glassy stone such as quartz, jasper, agate or flint. A flint alone does not produce incandescent embers; it is the flint's ability to violently release small particles of iron, exposing them to oxygen, that starts the burning." I like that "violently" bit. Awesome adjective choice.

Yeah oxidation of iron causes heat, its the entire reason why fire steel works. Anything hard enough to "shave" the metal will work, technically even ice can be used in this way to make fire...