PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone getting a bit nervous yet?

Mountaintrekker
04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Just wondering if any of you are seeing the latest headlines and getting fidgety yet? We are a little, we just sold our homestead and are in the process of getting married and moving up to Alaska. Nothing like $4.00+ diesel and food rationing in parts to make things interesting! :D
I just feel a bit exposed out on the road in our travel trailer right now, felt like I could vent to you folks about it. We're in a RV park in northern Colorado at the moment.
I keep checking the area and watching where the deer and pronghorn are everyday as we sit and wait for the property sale to go through. Just in case I need to go and pet me one!
I think I'll renew my fishing license and take a whack at some of these rainbows to sooth the soul and stock the fridge.
We do live in interesting times!

Regards,

Mountaintrekker

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Nervous? No. Doing things to prepare? You bet.

Rick
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Nope. We saw the same thing in the 1970s. Recession followed by stagflation. Double digit inflation (we aren't there yet), double digit unemployment (we aren't there yet), an oil embargo, high food prices, a ramping down of the Viet Nam war and a Middle Eastern war. In all, there have been 22 (I'm including the current economic downturn) recessions since 1900. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, here are the dates and durations:

Date....................................Duration In Months
Sept. 1902-Aug. 1904......................23
May 1907-June 1908........................13
Jan. 1910-Jan. 1912.........................24
Jan. 1913-Dec. 1914........................23
Aug. 1918-March 1919.......................7
Jan. 1920-July 1921.........................18
May 1923-July 1924.........................14
Oct. 1926-Nov. 1927........................13
Aug. 1929-March 1933......................43
May 1937-June 1938.........................13
Feb. 1945-Oct. 1945..........................8
Nov. 1948-Oct. 1949........................11
July 1953-May 1954..........................10
Aug. 1957-April 1958..........................8
April 1960-Feb. 1961.........................10
Dec. 1969-Nov. 1970.........................11
Nov. 1973-March 1975.......................16
Jan. 1980-July 1980............................6
July 1981-Nov. 1982..........................16
July 1990-March 1991..........................8
March 2001-Nov. 2001.........................8

Can you say Economic Cycle?

Some may not agree with this but we did survive each and every one of the previous recessions and we'll survive this one too.

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Golly Rick - looks like I've lived through more bad times than I realized.:eek::eek: Must be my cheery disposition.:D:D

Rick
04-23-2008, 06:44 PM
We do tend to forget the past don't we? I guess we'll always be doomed to relive it. :rolleyes:

For those that are interested, you can read through this short lesson on recessions and economics. What you'll find is just how cyclical recessions are. One good piece of news, echoed in this report, is that recessions are getting shorter and periods of sustained growth are getting longer.

http://www.econlib.org/LIBRARY/Enc/Recessions.html

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
One thing I won't forget about the 70's is waiting a long time in line every other day to buy 8 gallons of gas. I also remember getting turned down for a 19% mortgage. Ahhh - the good old days.

Rick
04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh, you bet. Here's one for the younger viewers. I sure do remember this and I remember buying gas by the half gallon, too!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Design/Gartman/D_Casestudy/ID38014_1_NoGas.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Design/Gartman/D_Casestudy/Oil_Embargo.htm&h=622&w=400&sz=206&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=rs5CCEnarV0JQM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doil%2Bembargo%2Bno%2Bgas%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

BraggSurvivor
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm not nervous. (ask anyone here)

Scared? Absolutely, for those who think they have prepared for a global economic collapse

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Mountaintrekker, What part of that skanky old god'forsaken state of Alaska are you headed for. And why would you go there?????:)

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Hopeak.......sounds like you're just trying to limit the number of neighbors.:p

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
No, The neighbors here'abouts are limited by the National Forest Service owning everything.

Mountaintrekker
04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
hopeak,
We are setting our sights on the Western Kenai. We figured we could stay down here in the Godforsaken land of outdoing your neighbor and save, or we could up and sell everything and fly by the seat of our pants! I guess we like option "B".:)
We decided to make the move as "no offense to those on this board" most people in the lesser 48 have no clue and there are just too many of them! We live our lifestyle, we don't do the weekend thing or go on vacation for 2 weeks a year. This is it, living life, not working for anyone but yourself etc. So, I took a trip up for a month a couple of years ago and decided it was darn near paradise (mosquitos and all). And now here we are, simplifying yet again and loving it.

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, wave when you go through the Turnagain Pass and past the HOPE cutoff. As Robert Service said, "It is a cussed land, But I swear it's got plum hold of me clean down to my soul".......:)

Mountaintrekker
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Hope? HA! I was up there staying with the guys from Angle 45 adventures. Do you know them? I destroyed my rental car (mostly on purpose) going up Palmer Creek Rd. to the mine. I told them I wanted a 4X4 but they gave me a Hundai! So I got the full insurance and off I went for some 4X4 fun in my Hundai! Crossed some water if I remember correctly.:) What kind of rental agency rents a Hundai in Alaska... honestly?
Do you know the Kasilof area at all? I'm trying to get a feel and see if it's even worth checking out. Any ideas? I promise we will be good neighbors (75 miles or so). Sorry to barrage you on this, just excited about coming up.

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
:)Yes, Angle 45* I know them well, Good people. Palmer Creek is just over the hill (4,400' up) in my back yard. I was watching a Bear up there this morning. 35 years ago I owned the property that is now Angle 45*, and I built that small cabin up in back in about 1974.

Land is cheap in Kasilof, Ak. but not much work. Most people have to live where they can work. Land is always cheap where there is not much work.

Palmer Creek Is some of the finest hiking country in Alaska. Mt. Goats, Caribou, Moose, Dall Sheep, Black and Brown Bears, Wolves. It is 61* above just now and too sunny, to work. What Bush Pilots call: CAVU (Clear Air Visibility unlimited).......:)

klkak
04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
hopeak and Mountaintrekker, I live in Peters Creek about 25 miles north of Skanchorage. I would move down Kasilof way in a minute if my wife would let me.:( I wonder if she would notice if I moved down there anyway.....hmmmm, oh well... I hope you have a safe trip up here Mountaintrekker.

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
I've shot some mighty nice Dall Sheep back at the head of Peters Creek, up Ram Bowl, and some on Billacouse Mountain. In the old days you could shoot two sheep and two moose. That was befor the days of the lottery drawing to hunt that valley. We even wacked a nice moose back at the very back of Peters Creek. I used to keep my Stupid Cub (Piper PA-18-150) on Fire Lake there in Buzzard Gulch (Eagle River)........:)

Ole WV Coot
04-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I ain't been nervous since I got a letter that said "Greetings from the President", I thought I was special with the president writing me and all until I finished reading it.

BraggSurvivor
04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I ain't been nervous since I got a letter that said "Greetings from the President", I thought I was special with the president writing me and all until I finished reading it.

I didn't get one, must of dropped me from his mailing list. :(

DOGMAN
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Hye Mountaintrekker, there are alot of mushers that live in the area your headin.
I'd check http://www.sleddogcentral.com/classifieds/classads_sale.htm#top
and cruise the classifieds for places to work and live- there are quite a few big kennels in that vicinity that will offer free room and board in exchange for kennel chores. Not a bad option until you land on your feet. just a tip...do with it what you like

Rick
04-24-2008, 07:30 AM
I didn't get one, must of dropped me from his mailing list.

You won't either. I hope no one on here does. Back in the day that was the opening line of your DRAFT notice!!!!!!!!! One lottery you did not want to win. I was lucky. Age and high draft numbers were my saving grace.

ATough
04-25-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm worried about gas, but the food doesn't appear to be a problem.

DOGMAN
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

For me, food is directly related to gas. Man, if I eat Mexican look out! I can turn a sleeping bag into a methane collection system that could light a hundred homes. That is the real reason I don't like to sleep in a tent!

Rick
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Makes note to self ........ Don't go camping with Montana AFTER stopping at Taco Bell.

Chicago Dan
04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I can't say I am really more nervous than I was a year ago but as compared to 10 years ago...substantially more.

My activity level in reaction to it has increased though recently.

Since about 1995 I have gone about acquiring as many skills as possible.
I say that as a generality on purpose due to the fact that many of the "skills" would probably not be considered essential or necessary in most survival situations. I have a natural joy of learning so many were really hobbies that got carried away. Recently I have intensified my efforts and now even my wife is getting involved(something she previously did only reluctantly) in mini projects, practice runs, knowledge acquisition etc...

So I am probably reacting to her apprehension.

Anyway my concern is not dehabilitating and we are happy.

Omid
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
nervous about the food prices you bet.

There are NO Shortages, the sellers are making record profits despite shipping costs. They are just making the prices higher on purpose!

survivorman u said..

they are both problems.

Rick
05-12-2008, 09:11 AM
They are just making the prices higher on purpose!

A course on marketing and retail might be in order here.....

crashdive123
05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Shhhhh. It's the aliens......

Arkansas_Ranger
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Have you ever seen the movies...

Syriana ?

Fahrenheit 911 ?

The Kingdom ? (less related however the beginning has some neat old reflections)

Arkansas_Ranger
05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
When I started driving (1998), I had a 1994 Dodge Dakota, etended cab, 4x4 with a V6 engine. It still runs today at my parents house. At the time, I could fill it up with the medium grade gas (87 octane?), and buy a 20 ounch soda all for $20.00. I recall the price of the gas and the soda gradually rising so that one day I realized I was paying $22.00. The sodas were $0.74, yet I just bought one at the little store across the street from my office for $1.42 - same drink.

Rick
05-13-2008, 11:52 AM
And? You don't want to know when I started driving or how much gas was. Or that I paid less for my first home and double lot than I do for a car today. Times change. So do prices.

bulrush
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Me nervous? Nah. I'm going to stock up on some nuts tonight (not the 2 legged kind). My favorite all-time, no refrigeration needed, high-energy snack.

Anyway, thanks Rick, for that table of recessions. I think we should all have a Rick clone in our bugout bag.

But I (who did not live through it), and anyone who lived through it, would disagree about the Big Depression lasting only 43 months. Anyone who lived through it will say the big building programs that the US gov started helped (dams, roads, etc), but it really didn't end until the US got involved in WW2 around 1939-1940 with the Lend/Lease program. The Lend/Lease program sent ships, tanks, and other supplies to Britain, so the manufacturers started hiring more, which increased employment.

Ken
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
And? You don't want to know when I started driving or how much gas was. Or that I paid less for my first home and double lot than I do for a car today. Times change. So do prices.

Okay, Rick, tell us.

I remember:

1. Gas price "wars." Not the kind we have now, either. Two stations across the street from each other were competing. One dropped to 9.9 cents/gallon - the other went to 9.8 cents. Free car wash with fill-up. Me? When I started driving it was 27.9 cents.

2. When you could get two burgers, fries, and a coke for 35 cents.

3. When Dunkin charged 15 cents for a coffee.

4. When Rick never sent me that pulled pork by overnight delivery ........

crashdive123
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Have you ever seen the movies...

Syriana ?

Fahrenheit 911 ?

The Kingdom ? (less related however the beginning has some neat old reflections)

Oh lord, please tell me that you only used these for cheap entertainment and not information (since they are not based in reality at all)

Mountaintrekker
05-13-2008, 06:24 PM
We're just trying to get our butts married and gear up and get to Alaska before diesel ($4.22 gal as of this post here) will deplete our cash supply. I'm hoping the prices won't increase too much in too short of time, hence my nervous line in the original post.
I understand prices have always gone up, and we have had shortages and worse off housing etc. I just think the tipping point has been reached. I'll save the rest for another post in the general chat forum. :)

Sourdough
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Ken;46572]Okay, Rick, tell us.

I remember:

1. Gas price "wars." Not the kind we have now, either. Two stations across the street from each other were competing. One dropped to 9.9 cents/gallon - the other went to 9.8 cents. Free car wash with fill-up. Me? When I started driving it was 27.9 cents.

YEP.....I remember 9.9 cents and 11.9 cants for gas. The going price was 15.9 cents but the Downingtown Farmers Market, in Downingtown, Pa. would go to Gas war on Friday and Saturday to get us dumb farmers to shop there. That would have been 57' and 59'.

Rick
05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Along with a clean windshield, radiator and oil checked along with your tire pressure. You could get a nice cotton towel if you filled up. And!!!! the guy would even tip his hat to the ladies. Ding ding. Ding ding. Remember the attention hose across the drive?

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm gearing up for the big one and at the same time maxing out my 401k. I'll come out on top one way or the other.

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Ding ding. Ding ding. Remember the attention hose across the drive?I still know where a few of those are. Almost a thing of the past.

Sourdough
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Along with a clean windshield, radiator and oil checked along with your tire pressure. You could get a nice cotton towel if you filled up. And!!!! the guy would even tip his hat to the ladies. Ding ding. Ding ding. Remember the attention hose across the drive?

And gas companys no one today ever hear of. Sinclare, Esso (Put a tiger in your tank), Sunoco, Atlantic Richfield, Standard Station, Gulf Oil. and motor oil came in a can (made of tin, not paper) or you could buy bulk oil in a refillable glass jar. And someone had stamps, ( like S&H Green Stamps.

beerrunner13
05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
And gas companys no one today ever hear of. Sinclare, Esso (Put a tiger in your tank), Sunoco, Atlantic Richfield, Standard Station, Gulf Oil. and motor oil came in a can (made of tin, not paper) or you could buy bulk oil in a refillable glass jar. And someone had stamps, ( like S&H Green Stamps.

Yep and remember Fly A where they worried about your car? And getting free dishs and glasses for a fill up, some of the stations gave you a discount if you bought over a certin amount $7

I was one of those guys that had to check the oil and air, even had to wear a company shirt.

Sourdough
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
I was one of those guys that had to check the oil and air, even had to wear a company shirt.

Me too. and you could get fired for saying "HOW MUCH". You had to walk up with a smile and say, "FILL'HER UP..???" and they would say, "No A DOLLARS worth, please".

beerrunner13
05-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Me too. and you could get fired for saying "HOW MUCH". You had to walk up with a smile and say, "FILL'HER UP..???" and they would say, "No A DOLLARS worth, please".

Yep and everyone who worked there and could give directions too.;)

Rick
05-14-2008, 06:41 AM
And speak English even if it had an Italian, German or Lithuanian accent.:D

crashdive123
05-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Ahhhh. The fond memories.

Rick
05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
To Beerrunner - I tell this story all the time. I was in Damariscotta, Maine several years ago looking for the telephone office. Stopped at a gas station where a guy was sweeping the lot.

"G'day", he said as I pulled up and rolled down the window.
"Hello. Can you tell me where the telephone office is?"
"Yup."

Ole WV Coot
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Those were the days: a quarter's worth of gas, fart in the tire and a road map plus green stamps.

Ken
05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I still have a recliner lawn chair that my mother got with those green stamps. :D

dawg69
05-15-2008, 05:46 PM

We still have a Sinclair station here in town. Had two until about a year ago.

crashdive123
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Dawg - what part of the world is that? How 'bout heading over to the intoduction section and let us know a bit about yourself.

Rick
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Remember what they called the driver that cut through the Esso station to avoid a traffic light? Esso Asso.

Ken
05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Shell used to give out free steak knives with a fill-up. Only dumb thing I ever saw my father do was when he looked at the knife, said "It looks pretty sharp," and ran it across his left index finger. Blood squirted all over the kitchen floor. Only reason I didn't get smacked for laughing at him was 'cause I was bandaging him up at the time. My two brothers saw the whole thing. Dad's been gone for years now, but we still laugh like hell (damn near *iss ourselves) when someone mentions it. You had to know him, and you had to be there.:D

Sam Reeves
05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
And speak English even if it had an Italian, German or Lithuanian accent.:D

Good luck guessing what language they are speaking or what accents they are conveying it in these days.

Rick
05-15-2008, 07:50 PM
You Can Trust Your Car To The Man Who Wears The Star. Dad traded at Texaco.

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/0554f9e9-afca-4146-9580-b741ca642dc4.jpg

crashdive123
05-15-2008, 07:55 PM
A couple on the street where I grew up (I used to cut their grass) had an old gas pump next to their garage. I don't know how big the tank was. I remember him saying one day - sure am glad I put this in (early 50's I think) because I'll be da**ed if I'm going to pay 20 cents for a gallon of gas.

Rick
05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
He was right! He won't. $3.80 today.

bulrush
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
$3.99 here. $4.69 for diesel. I guess my junk food will be doubling in price soon.

Rick
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
"the worst of the credit crisis has passed."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aLCq89inwn2o&refer=home