PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Sleeping Bag

DOGMAN
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
If your in the market for a new sleeping bag, and you want the very best bag to keep you warm and dry. Check out Wiggy's. www.wiggys.com
they are the ultimate survival fart sack. There Lamolite is incredible stuff. Also, the Wiggy guy writes some interesting rants. The make a lot of stuff intended for survival situations. I hadn't seen them mentioned in any other posts, so I thought I'd share. I am in no way affilaited with these guys.

Rick
04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I have to tell you, I have a problem spending $200 - $300 for something I can buy for $25. I can use a wool blanket for a lot more than just a sleeping bag, too.:D

DOGMAN
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree the price is a bit steep. But, I camp regularly without a tent, when it is well below -20 degrees. I may just be a wimp, but when I sleep under a wool blanket/canvas mantie cloth in these kinds of temps....I don't sleep much....and I shiver alot....and, then the next day sucks, because I am groggy and foggy. I have tried lots of different bags, and I haven't found anything that compares to the Wiggy's in extreme cold. I get a good nights sleep, and the next day I have a clear mind to make rational decisions. To me, that is worth the price.

Rick
04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, there you go. I don't camp in -20 weather. My son does but I'm sure his intelligence came from his mother.:rolleyes:

DOGMAN
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey, I never said I was smart. I just said I was a wimp...

DOGMAN
04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, there you go. I don't camp in -20 weather.

If you had a Wiggy's bag you would...because then you wouldn't get cold, and it wouldn't seem like an unintellegent undertaking.;)

Rick
04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
I think about that when I pull the covers up around my ears the next time it's -20.

Me: "Good night, dear."
TDW: "Good night my hero. Valiant warrior of the family name and all around funny and smart guy."

(I added the smart part)

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Stop the whining about price. The North Face RAGING INFERNO (How is that for a marketing masterpiece) Was around $600.00 a long, long time ago. Last I saw they were $795.00

MMonette
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
All I'm saying is you can buy alot of blankets for $800

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
That is true, but try packing "Lots" of Blankets 15 miles a day on snowshoes for day after day. At some point the cost does not matter.

Stony
04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
i think $200 for a good bag is not to much.
however, we are frugal and use second-hand stuff.
non of us camps when - 20 deg., we have heated cabins.

Sourdough
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Coldest I have camped in was -55* Fahrenheit, I was to stupid to put my boots in the bottom of the bag, Big mistake.

Aurelius95
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else chuckle when they read the words "fart sack"? :D

When I was in college, I spent some time in MN with a friend over New Year's. His dad had just gotten an LL Bean crazy cold weather sleeping bag. He was so stoked about it, he waited until the temps were going to be around -20 to test it out in their back yard. It worked well until he had to get up to pee, then he jsut came inside.

I guess, if I lived in a very cold climate, I would probably have a very expensive, but warm, fart sack.

Sarge47
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Whaddaya mean I'm half way there? Oh, wise guy huh? Listen up Montana, I think you're a cool cat and all but the day I pay $200 for a fancy "flatulance container" is the day they bury me 'cause someone killed me & took my place! If I want to camp out in sub-zero weather then I use the U.S. Army Extreme Cold Mummy bag. I even have a smaller bag i can put in it; total cost was $75 bucks. However, if I have the cash to lay out then the next step up is an RV. See, that's why Rick & I are "Super-mods"! Cuz we got intell...intell...we're smart! Ok?!:rolleyes:

Sarge47
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, I just checked the "Wiggy Web-Site" & noticed several interesting things. 1st they have a Lifetime guarantee that covers anything that can happen to a sleeping bag. If you're a serious camper you can get North Face at twice what they charge so that's really not a bad price for those who got the green! Finally, they even advertise that they make "fire-retardent underwear"....I'm not even going to go there...I'm not...no...I won't...Oh heck! Is this a needed item in a "Fart-Sack" in case of those who smoke in bed?:eek: For your "really hot date!". Lateraling the ball to Rick, or others!:rolleyes:D:cool:

crashdive123
04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Comes in handy if while camping you happen to drink too much and believe that you were a fire walker in another life.:eek:

Rick
04-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Fire retardant underwear? That is just sooooo wrong. I would hope I'd look like a used match stick long before fire got anywhere near there.

ATough
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
The prices are steep but the gear looks solid. but I would get a good bag for 50-70 bucks and use a wool or fleece blanket.

Tony uk
04-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Very nice, Ive used a double bag system for some time, One a 3 seasons and one a summer, Always worked fine with a good shelter, But this gear looks solid. I like the guarantee also :D

Ridge Wolf
04-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Whaddaya mean I'm half way there? Oh, wise guy huh? Listen up Montana, I think you're a cool cat and all but the day I pay $200 for a fancy "flatulance container" is the day they bury me 'cause someone killed me & took my place! If I want to camp out in sub-zero weather then I use the U.S. Army Extreme Cold Mummy bag. I even have a smaller bag i can put in it; total cost was $75 bucks. However, if I have the cash to lay out then the next step up is an RV. See, that's why Rick & I are "Super-mods"! Cuz we got intell...intell...we're smart! Ok?!:rolleyes:

Intel inside.... How does that music go??? :D

Ridge Wolf
04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Ok, I just checked the "Wiggy Web-Site" & noticed several interesting things. 1st they have a Lifetime guarantee that covers anything that can happen to a sleeping bag. If you're a serious camper you can get North Face at twice what they charge so that's really not a bad price for those who got the green! Finally, they even advertise that they make "fire-retardent underwear"....I'm not even going to go there...I'm not...no...I won't...Oh heck! Is this a needed item in a "Fart-Sack" in case of those who smoke in bed?:eek: For your "really hot date!". Lateraling the ball to Rick, or others!:rolleyes:D:cool:

Well, don't put the bag too close to the fire... maybe they were anticipating that. Bag burns up.. with everything inside it.. 'cept the fireproof underwear. They are going for a good advertisement for the underwear??

Or maybe the haphazard camper gets too close to the fire.. or builds it too big?? and burns every piece of clothing on him 'cept the underwear..

Maybe he (or she?) uses a bic to see while their head is inside the bag to read a book on how to survive forest fires...

You never know with numpties.. or K.N.N.'s

vagrant
04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
...Maybe he (or she?) uses a bic to see while their head is inside the bag to read a book on how to survive forest fires...

Or maybe they woke up and lit the bic to see something and the fart sack had been recently "pressurized" and well...:rolleyes:

Ole WV Coot
04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
That kinda money would sure buy a lot of beer and bubble gum. I don't need much, I can put on insulated Carhartts, use the hood and sleep anywhere. Tape the ankles & wrists and no creepy crawlers. Keep feet nice & toasty by pulling a plastic bag over your boots and then a cheapo pair of rubber boots(imported from Korea). I was told when I retired that if I couldn't sleep I could drive to the storeroom and get inside a truck for my usual 8hrs.

Rick
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh, man. I had to pick myself up from laughing. I know some guys that had slept in the truck so long (how long was it?) It was so long the window had conformed to their head.

Those fire proof underroos might come in handy at a frat party.

"Dude. Get the lighter. I feel one comin' on."

wildWoman
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Mountain Equipment Coop makes sleeping bags that are pretty good value, they have hybrid bags (down fill on top, synthetic on the bottom) that are very affordable.

Assassin Pilot
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
For the fireproof underwear, maybe you like lighting farts but they have restrictions on how much clothing you can take off.... or you just don't wanna burn your rear. Or me who would wear them simply to say that I have a pair.....

Omid
05-04-2008, 10:31 AM
have you heard of walmart :P

Alpine_Sapper
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
have you heard of walmart :P

Yeah, those are the guys that tried to sue the lady that got his by a truck, who's son died in Iraq, and husband was in a coma or whatever for 500,000$ worth of medical bills she had insurance through them to cover.

Not some place I want to shop. And their merchandise is typically made in a sweat shop overseas or simply substandard quality.

www.walmartwatch.com

I do everything I can to avoid supporting mega-corporations with such shady business practicess as THAT place.

And I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to bet my survival on something I purchased there.

Rick
05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, as I said in another thread. You can't blame Sam Walton for being successful at the American Dream.

DOGMAN
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, as I said in another thread. You can't blame Sam Walton for being successful at the American Dream.

Sam Walton was probably a decent enough guy. But, he's long gone now. And, now its corporate exec's calling the shots for shareholders- profit at all cost. Even if it means screwing over employees. That may be the American Way....but, it's not the American Dream.

The American Dream, to me anyway, is Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Exploiting others for profit leads to guilt. With guilt on your mind, and in your heart- happiness is hard to hold. I'd rather do the right thing, and have peace of mind, then screw over others for my personal gain.

Kimchi Raven
02-15-2009, 06:17 AM
For the fireproof underwear, maybe you like lighting farts but they have restrictions on how much clothing you can take off.... or you just don't wanna burn your rear. Or me who would wear them simply to say that I have a pair.....

The flame retardant long johns were an alternative to the high tech polyester long johns which are now government issue. Before poly pro and lightweight poly pro, we had a cotton/wool 50-50 blend. They weren't as light and comfortable but they did the job. Fast forward a decade or so, and we're getting hit with IEDs in Iraq- nylon and polypro melt into skin and flesh. Wool long johns are out of the supply system. The Wiggy's were an option for those in Iraq facing such issues.

Since then, along with all the armor one can possibly carry, nomex and fire retardant base layers are either in the supply system as NSN (national stock number) items or are being mass purchased and issued to deploying units.

crashdive123
02-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Good info Kimchi Raven. How about heading on over to the Introuduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Stairman
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
I shop at Walmart occationally.But not grocerys.I support Publix or Winn Dixie.I dont want to see these places go under and give them my buisness.Look what Home Depot has done to the small mom and pop hardware stores.They cant compete.Farmers and flea markets are better for fruits and veggies too.

Kimchi Raven
02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Good info Kimchi Raven. How about heading on over to the Introuduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

On the way now- been looking for that area!

Beans
02-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Fire retardant underwear?

Just another late night meal at Jose's Habanero & Tamale shack

crashdive123
02-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Just another late night meal at Jose's Habanero & Tamale shack

With your screen name, I will defer to your expertise.:D

tacmedic
02-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling my next sleeping bag purchase will be from them if for no other reason than the fact that there stuff is still made here in the good ole U S of A!

crashdive123
02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I recently bought a bag from Gander Mountain (Guide Series - their own line) - big rectangular bag for my big rectangular body. Funny how over time all of my mummy bags seem to have shrunk a bit.

Nativedude
02-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Rick wrote:". . .I have a problem spending $200 - $300 for something I can buy for $25. I can use a wool blanket for a lot more than just a sleeping bag, too.":D

Ole WV Coot wrote:". . .I can put on insulated Carhartts, use the hood and sleep anywhere. Tape the ankles & wrists and no creepy crawlers. . .":gagged:

I agree with Rick on this one. We use wool blankets and make a 3-fold blanket sleeping bag. Roll'em up and lash'em with a thong sling. Throw it over your shoulder and away you go!

And Coot, if you've got creepy crawlies crawling around on you in the cold, they must be coming off of you?! . . .:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFLMO :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

joeblkwolf
02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
i have several slumberjack bags i got from campmor that i am very happy with, light weight n affordable, when the weather drops i wear fleece top n bottoms no problem stay'n warm

Scratch
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
The American Dream, to me anyway, is Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Exploiting others for profit leads to guilt. With guilt on your mind, and in your heart- happiness is hard to hold. I'd rather do the right thing, and have peace of mind, then screw over others for my personal gain.

Wow - That is very well said.

trebuchet
03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I am brand new here, but I thought I would share...

I have a wiggy's superlight sleeping bag (rated to zero).
I absolutely love it. I bought the long wide body size because I like to move around.

Great bag with an accurate temp rating.

beetlejuicex3
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
We sell these on our site. They are solid bags - well built. Lamilite (http://wiggys.com/lamilite.cfm) returns to it's original loft much, much longer than primaloft, polarguard, climashield and other synthetics on the market. The bags can be stored compressed and washed repeatedly and stay warm. In fact, Wiggy even sells a bag that is tightly vacuum sealed for emergency kits.

Wiggys offers various lengths and widths in many of his bags which is RARE.

His newsletters are no-holds-barred. He went off on Snugpak a few years ago and was forced to withdraw his comments by their lawyers. We've talked with him a few times over the phone. He is passionate about his products and stands by them 100%.

DOGMAN
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Glad to see that even though I haven't had the chance to be online much lately- my words live on...just like my WIGGY'S bag- withstanding the test of time!