PDA

View Full Version : Storm Juno

kyratshooter
01-25-2015, 06:38 PM
I have been watching the weather channel off and on all day and I sure hope you folks up in the northeast are buttoned down and well supplied.

2"-4" snow per hour predicted for 12 solid hours with winds up to 30mph.

Good luck with that!:eyepoke:

letslearntogether47
01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Yeah, it's going to get crazy here for the next few days.
I have a wood stove with plenty of wood. A couple small generators and a 4x4 truck.
The stores were nuts today. It's not hard to see how a shtf scenario would be like.
My area in Worc. county is in a blizzard warning and expected to get high winds and maybe 2 ft. of snow.
I'm prepared.

Pennsylvania Mike
01-25-2015, 07:33 PM
I guess I am as ready as I can be for tomorrow's snow which by Tuesday is supposed to turn into a blizzard that is according to weather reports on the TV. Generators are ready with enough gasoline just in case of power outage, enough food is on hand as well as stored water for drinking. We?ll see what happens tomorrow, it may not be as bad as they are predicting, or it may be worse. nobody can predict what Mother Nature can do. My 4X4 truck is ready for whatever but I'm not planning on going anywhere, also my got plenty of propane for my fireplace if needed.

randyt
01-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I like a good stout blizzard or a frog strangling rain.

hunter63
01-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Most has already passed us....little dusting.....that's it.
Y'all keep your head down and stay warm.

1stimestar
01-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Just saying howdy too. Stay warm.

Pennsylvania Mike
01-26-2015, 09:28 AM
I think we will be getting lucky here in NE PA, the prediction from the weatherman according to some computer program from all different places is telling them that we will be getting from 5-8 inches of snow throughout the storm, well, I have seen some hellish drifting before from less accumulation than that on the roads, for areas east of us they are predicting 8-13 inches of snow. The temperature is 17 degrees and falling, so we are getting some fine, fluffy snow now and supposed to be like this all day today; the fun begins tomorrow with when the winds and more snow comes. Like to hear from the guys and gals north of me in the New England States and see how they are holding up.

Lamewolf
01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
I have been watching the weather channel off and on all day and I sure hope you folks up in the northeast are buttoned down and well supplied.

2"-4" snow per hour predicted for 12 solid hours with winds up to 30mph.

Good luck with that!:eyepoke:

Sorry to hear that, hope everyone is stocked up !

On a side note, I like your signature line about the golf course. I think it would be neat to have a skeet range 90 degrees to a driving range ! :stuart:

hunter63
01-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear that, hope everyone is stocked up !

On a side note, I like your signature line about the golf course. I think it would be neat to have a skeet range 90 degrees to a driving range ! :stuart:

It is called "Extreme Cross training golf."...Team sport......
Teams are allow a shot at opponents (golf) ball off the T at 5 randomly chosen holes.

Rick
01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
There's also the cart shoot. You have to be careful with this one. The last thing you want to do is shoot the cart with the girl and the beer. That will get you run off the course pronto like.

hunter63
01-26-2015, 01:49 PM
So.....whose bright idea ws it to name snow storms?
Juno?....Come on y'all can do better than that....
So if ya say "Juno" is that like 'BOO"?

This is supposed to quantify a fear?...."If we can name it we are no longer afraid"?

How about "BIG AZZ Storm #3 this year".....or "Holy ship" y'all believe this one?....number 1?

Just send Jim Cantore to battle ISIS...........Why waste a good storm?

Rick
01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
I realized this year...at some point...that we've started naming storms. I'm glad someone finally decided to do that. I can't seem to remember any previous storm simply because they didn't have names. It only took mankind 50,000 years or so to invent storm names. Now I just need to learn how to pronounce them. Bill or Sue would have been much simpler. Oh, well, perhaps in another 50,000 years.

LowKey
01-26-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm in the 18-24" snow belt. Or was last I checked.
So not looking forward to this. Mostly cuz I hate removing the stuff from the driveway.
Sitting by the wood stove with a good book is fine by me.
Work was cancelled except for the guys close enough to walk. They're supposed to come in to help shovel the roof. That's one good thing about living 50 miles away.

natertot
01-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Glad to hear all are prepared and doing well so far. I hope no damages come to you all from this. Be Safe!

letslearntogether47
01-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Well, we're officially buried.
It's still coming down sideways and only 15 deg. without wind chill.
I'm just watching the news and hanging out by my wood stove.
All stocked up and doing well. I'll be out snow blowing later this afternoon.
My truck is in a 4ft. drift.

Pennsylvania Mike
01-27-2015, 10:38 AM
NE PA got lucky, I just measured five and a half inch on my deck, it is cold, 22 degrees and 13 mph winds gusting to 16 mph and a wind chill of 10 degrees. it looks like we may get a little more snow today, but Thursday and Friday are good chances that we get more snow for sure. Everyone north of me in the New England States keep safe and work and out of harm’s way for you are getting the brunt of the storm.

Seniorman
01-27-2015, 02:24 PM
It's Winter. It snows in Winter in most of the country. The world ain't coming to the end.

As usual, the hysterical, sensationalistic, pap dispensing propaganda meisters strike yet again. So called meteorologists with their computer models love to be on teeeveee with stern faces predicting the unimaginable horror that is coming in the shape of some snowflakes.

Everyone wants to be in show biz. :wacko:

S.M.

hunter63
01-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Our local guy we have named "Mayhem John Malan".......The bigger the grin, the bigger the storm...Whee, whee...lookie, lookie.....

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/about/people/john-malan-121250474.html

We got about an inch........sun is out and is melting.......
Hope y'all out east are OK.

Rick
01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Crow about it all you want but that stuff is important. So many don't know how to drive on snow. When one slides it's like birds of a feather. Everyone is all over the road. I want to know when it's safe to get out of the coop!

http://smithmeadows.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Snow-birds.jpg (http://smithmeadows.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Snow-birds.jpg)

hunter63
01-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Pic didn't show up.....Guests must blah, blah

letslearntogether47
01-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Isn't every storm we get 2 ft. plus, wind blowing over 50+ and coastal flooding.

LowKey
01-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Whee. It snowed. Does that in January. Glad I don't live on the coast or the Cape though.

Waited for the wind-down around 4pm and got the snowblower out. Fun stuff, the snow came bombing across the lake. One side of my truck was completely clean down to the driveway, the other side had a drift up to the roof racks. Same with the house. No snow on the front roof but the back roof looks like we built a dormer up there. Gonna have to pull that down I suppose.

Dropped by here before checking of the driving ban is lifted in the Eastern half of the state. I expect the boss will want us at work...

Rick
01-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Around here, if the county issues a Snow Emergency then travel is emergency only.

letslearntogether47
01-29-2015, 09:53 PM
I thought it was 2 deg. this morning, but it was .2
Darn thermometers with decimal points.:D

Pennsylvania Mike
01-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Have been getting snow showers since late in the afternoon, just enough snow to me make it annoying. I guess by tomorrow we will have about 3 more inches.

MrFixIt
01-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Around here, if the county issues a Snow Emergency then travel is emergency only.

Down here if a single flake of snow falls from the sky everybody rushes to the store for bread, eggs and milk. Someone always drives into a ditch or something or another.
Never understood it...

Pennsylvania Mike
01-30-2015, 09:39 AM
We got three plus more inches of snow last night and looks like we are going to have snow showers during the day, that is on top of the 5 inches we had before, more snow coming Sunday and Monday according to the weather report.

Pennsylvania Mike
01-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Down here if a single flake of snow falls from the sky everybody rushes to the store for bread, eggs and milk. Someone always drives into a ditch or something or another.
Never understood it...

I have been in SE Virginia during bad weather in the winter and people are just afraid of driving when it snows because a lot of cars do not have all season tires, that is the reason of so many accidents, so if snow is in the forecast they go to the stores and get ready so they don't have to go and drive to the store, also the snows are heavier than those in the north therefore they are prone to more power outages so they go and buy that extra food and a lot of bottled water.

finallyME
01-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Well, if you guys can send some of that snow west, we would appreciate it.

Ken
01-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Glad I don't live on the coast or the Cape though.

I'm 12 miles from the coast. We got about 24" by the time it was over. Winds weren't too high, maybe a few gusts in the 30's.

We had 2 loaves of bread and plenty of milk and eggs in the house, but I still had to run out for another loaf of bread on Sunday (it's compulsory here) and some capers 'cause I planned on making veal piccata. The supermarket was JAMMED. Milk and eggs were mostly wiped out and the 50' bread aisle was EMPTY 'cept for a few English muffins and a couple of loaves of potato bread and rye bread. I regret not taking pictures, LOL. While we were there, we picked up some EXCELLENT sirloins, raisin bagels, cheese, crumpets, hard salami and other absolute necessities, but I still left abysmally unprepared because I FORGOT THE CAPERS. I'm so embarrassed.

Schools are still closed in our neighboring city, and the streets are horrible because, in addition to being narrow, there was no place to put all the snow. The ONLY streets clear of snow are around the Justice Center near my office, because they needed room to park the 100 or so T.V. network and news trucks covering the Aaron Hernandez murder trial. (http://www.turnto10.com/category/256832/msnbc-live-video)

And as I type this, I'm looking out of my window, and it's snowing again..........

Rick
01-30-2015, 03:01 PM
When you get old lists are a must. The sad thing about lists is I can still forget stuff and they are on the list. Did it this morning. Right there on the list but walked out without it. What was I sayin'?

Ken
01-30-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm not old or forgetful, and I don't need a list. I only went out for capers and the mandatory loaf of bread. How could I, um............ Never mind. I forgot what I was going to say.

Ken
01-30-2015, 04:24 PM
And coming up next week.........

PINPOINT WEATHER ALERT: Blizzard conditions and the potential for more than a foot of snow Monday night into Tuesday.

Meteorologist Pete Mangione has the latest on Eyewitness News This Morning on WPRI-12 from 6:00-9:00am.

http://blogs.wpri.com/2015/…/24/major-noreaster-for-tuesday/ (http://blogs.wpri.com/2015/01/24/major-noreaster-for-tuesday/)

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p261x260/10434029_10152622516133202_2554042163201728358_n.j pg?oh=216153ac9b4a35707dce6d4e1d33ad66&oe=5569E480

Rick
01-30-2015, 04:31 PM
I'd have to do some gazintas but it sure looks like a lot of snow to me. More than I need to be living in.

rebel
01-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Ken, I was wondering about you. Not that I doubted your abilities just concerned. Caper-less seafood can be a set back.

hunter63
01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm not old or forgetful, and I don't need a list. I only went out for capers and the mandatory loaf of bread. How could I, um............ Never mind. I forgot what I was going to say.

I guess I haven't heard of capers being a prep....like bread, mike, eggs.....and had to chuckle.

More of a beer and smokes (had to quit) guy myself....maybe some jerky and chips?

Ride the storm with class.....

Thanks for the chuckle.......Good luck.

Rick
01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
I looks like the Midwest is in for a horrible storm this week-end.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s480x480/1517706_10152955878412221_5232683222392344963_n.jp g?oh=730d8a4a3240d4656be34fe5116824d6&oe=555091D3&__gda__=1431563266_db95dae2389bcb623e22cba918369f0 6

TXyakr
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM
The supermarket was JAMMED. Milk and eggs were mostly wiped out and the 50' bread aisle was EMPTY 'cept for a few English muffins and a couple of loaves of potato bread and rye bread. I regret not taking pictures, LOL. I'm looking out of my window, and it's snowing again..........

If you see any Polar Bears that have extended their range down to you be sure to take their picture and post it for us. That would be fun. From what I read from NASA all these winter storms are still not helping the sea ice out much, perhaps these large marine mammals will wander far inland and down south looking for food, LOL. I'm still walking around in shorts and sandals here in Texas, unlikely they will make it down here for a million more years.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Pennsylvania Mike
01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
NOAA weather going crazy, so is the Weather Channel, not a place to park at Walmart it looks just like Christmas all over again, I bet by tonight or tomorrow morning those shelves are going to be empty. I think we will be getting from 10 to12 inches, if we get freezing rain on top of it, it will be less than that. The weather forecasting on all the media keeps changing by the minute.

Rick
01-31-2015, 09:58 PM
We are expected to receive 1-3, 3-6 or 6-10 depending on which channel you care to watch. The NWS says 5-8...maybe. Someone blow on my dice. Looks like a crap shoot.

hunter63
01-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Awwww, man, this is screwing up the "Prospectors" show.

LowKey
02-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Looks like Ken is getting some rain to make that snow he has all nice and heavy.
Hoping to stay in the 6-12 snow-only band here... Monday looks like a write-off.
Can't afford these no-work days.

hunter63
02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Snow and blowing a bit north of Chicago.......got about 4'' and still going.....pretty windy as well.....we will see.

Rick
02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
One of the very nice things about being on permanent vacation is the ability to roll over and go back to sleep when weather is bad.....or mediocre....or good for that matter.

hunter63
02-01-2015, 02:57 PM
One of the very nice things about being on permanent vacation is the ability to roll over and go back to sleep when weather is bad.....or mediocre....or good for that matter.

Yeah, but I feel bad, sorta, when the neighbor comes over and starts blowing the snow....Make me feel like I should at least get him a cup of coffee......LOL

Just came in from doing some of my blowing and have to tell ya I'm beat.....we kinda split it up.
That guy has the biggest snow blower I ever saw.....and love to blow......

The storm is supposed to be called Linus.....so I guess we need a new thread.
Cleaned up a little over 6" with a lot of drifts.....and supposed to keep going till midnight.

I'm thinking an hour of blowing and shoveling will double for my therapy tomorrow.

Rick
02-01-2015, 02:59 PM
You could always leave an envelope in the mailbox with some money for Starbucks. Hey! I'm all for being polite.

LowKey
02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Another 18 to 24 forecast here (WTF it was 6 to 12 last night!!!).
Already 6" more inches on the ground overnight.
How 'bout them Pats?

hunter63
02-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I was rooting for the Pats.......Seahawks went to the magic well one too many times.......

Just came in...cleaned out driveway and sidewalks again....about 12" they say, but drifts were 4 ft tall.
I real glad the neighbor love to blow snow.....doesn't take long with two machines running.

News guy are saying 26" total over the week end.....

letslearntogether47
02-14-2015, 06:57 PM
NEPTUNE now....
Saying another 12 inches possible.
That -7 deg. this morning was an eye opener.

hunter63
02-14-2015, 07:08 PM
But, if your butt is still buried since the last couple of storms......is it a new storm?

Guy in Boston last night said his car has not moved in 3 weeks.

Just gonna be really, really cold tonight and the rest of the week.

letslearntogether47
02-14-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't live anywhere near Bawston.
Went to work during every storm except that first 2 ft. blizzard.
Sucks when the storms are on Monday. At least this one will be finished tomorrow at noon.
So there's time to clean up.

LowKey
02-14-2015, 11:49 PM
LOL, LLT.
I went outside without my hoodie under my barn coat this morning. Dang, that was, as you say, eye-opening. Had to do the grocery store at 7am to avoid the mad shoppers. Tried to go on Friday night on the way home as usual but couldn't find a parking spot. Seriously. People were driving up and down the rows and looked like a couple fights were going to break out. So I left.

Only people in the store this morning were a couple other guys looking rather glum.

I haven't looked outside recently. Hoping for less than a foot, mostly cuz I was unable to get all the first storm off my back roof. Got most of it. But it's been so cold nothing is melting enough to slide off. Removed the really impressive ice dam out there last Wednesday. It's slowly reforming.

ClayPick
02-15-2015, 09:01 AM
It's here today coming in from the eastern seaboard. I need to shovel some snow off my roof today if I can find my ladder.

letslearntogether47
02-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Blowing and drifting this morning.
I'd take a picture but it's nothing but white anyways.

Wow, almost a fight over bread,milk and eggs?
Watched a youtube about cold weather survival. Maybe I should watch some about grocery store survival.lol

Pennsylvania Mike
02-15-2015, 11:31 AM
It is 1 degree F and wind is steady at 20 mph with a wind chill of -21 degrees F and we got about 2.2 inches of snow last night.

letslearntogether47
02-15-2015, 03:38 PM
This area tonight.

* WINDS... NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.
* VISIBILITIES... ONE HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
* WIND CHILL READINGS... AS LOW AS 29 BELOW LATE TONIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD... OR FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELL TREATED SURFACES... AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED OR UNTREATED SURFACES.
A WIND CHILL WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN THE WIND CHILL INDEX IS LIKELY TO FALL TO -25 DEGREES OR COLDER FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS. A WIND CHILL INDEX BELOW -30 CAN BRING ABOUT FROSTBITE IN AS LITTLE AS 10 MINUTES. OUTDOOR EXPOSURE SHOULD BE LIMITED. IF YOU ARE HEADING OUTDOORS... DRESS IN LAYERS AND KEEP YOUR HANDS AND HEAD COVERED TO PROTECT AGAINST FROSTBITE

hunter63
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Good weather to curl up with a good book....or a good blond......

crashdive123
02-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Y'all stay safe.