PDA

View Full Version : Review of Duluth #51 Canoe Pack

Zack
01-19-2015, 11:26 AM
I've acquired a couple daypacks that I've finally been able to put to serious use. I think my favorite of them is the Duluth #51 Canoe Pack. I've been using for EDC lately, and I've finally come to the conclusion that it's almost the perfect all around pack for small outings. I took it camping this weekend, and it performed better than admirably. I loaded it up with a change of clothing, trapper-keeper (for taking notes), PSK, and other smaller gadgets, and it worked wonderfully. In this review, I hope that I can persuade you into considering this great bag!

The are a lot of "thumbs up's" about this bag. For starters, size. This thing could, very arguably, carry a light 48 hour kit, obviously depending on weather and location. It's a 20Hx18W, 1640 cubic inch pack. It is big compare to other daypacks that I've used.

The next pro is the build material. It is made of a rugged 15 oz. canvas, riveted leather flap straps and heavy-duty cotton shoulder straps. You will have a difficult time hurting this bag. I've been out hiking and found a resource of some sort, and tossed it into the bag. There's no nylon to tear a hole in.

Another pro is the pack's simple design. It has to leather flap straps with high quality buckles that keep it closed, that way there are no buckles to break or zippers to snag. It's and envelope style bag, so you could carry something like an axe or blanket underneath the flap, semi-securely. If it were me, I would tie it off with paracord, though.

This bag was designed to be used in canoes, so that's good for anybody who wants a good daypack to take out on the boat.

The long list of color options (mine is Mossy Oak) allows you to express yourself, if you want.

It's also a good platform for upgrades!

Finally, Duluth has a Lifetime Warranty on their packs, and to top it all off, they are made right here in the USA! I always love buying USA-made gear, and I think that most people on the forum do, too.

There are, however, some cons about this product that any prospective buyers should be aware of. While they aren't major, and most of them can be fixed, it's still important to know about them. The first is that the shoulder strap have no padding. They aren't uncomfortable with a light load, but if you go heavy, you'll feel it. I know that you can have this fixed with a new set of shoulder straps from Duluth.

Also, the lack of internal organization is, in my mind, an issue. I like ALICE packs because they have the main bucket, but also exterior pouches. This product does not. You can send it to Duluth to have pouches sewn on, but $75 a pair is a lot, in my opinion. I'd rather just buy $10 worth of pencil pouches next August, when all the school supplies are on sale.

Since it is a daypack, I don't see the logic in a waist or sternum strap, but the lack of these could be a con for some. These can be added by Duluth, as well.

The base price $105, may be a problem as well. I got mine on Amazon for a steal, less than $35, but deals like this may be once in a lifetime opportunities. Look out for sales and such, on the internet and in local stores, and you may be able to get lucky.

I've heard complaints about the dyes used in the manufacture of these bags. Honestly, I don't know if they will bleed or not since I've never gotten it really wet (spilled a glass of water on it once). If you dry it out within a reasonable amount of time, I think you'll be okay, though.

Finally, I don't quite like the lack of attachment points on this bag. The ability to snap carabineers onto D-rings would be nice, as would the ability to attach a bedroll. These can be attached by Duluth, too.

As you can see, the pros certainly outweigh the cons. For a midsize pack, I think that the Duluth #51 Canoe Pack is an excellent option. I think that anybody who wants to step up from a fanny pack or haversack (maybe even a Maxpedition Versi-pack) should at least consider this pack. While I'm not involved with the Duluth Company in any way, I can recommend this bag. For more info, reply to the thread and I'll try to answer you, or visit http://www.duluthpack.com/utility-packs-canoe-pack.html. Thanks for reading.

Rick
01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the review. The main thing is that it works for you and you are happy with it.

Zack
01-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the review. The main thing is that it works for you and you are happy with it.

I really do like it. It works well as an EDC and I think it did well on its first camping trip. I hope the review helped somebody.

Sarge47
01-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Everybody has different tastes. It you like it and it works for you then that's great! Myself, I wouldn't have one as I like my USMC ILBE pack that I bought off of E-Bay for a decent price.Equipment tastes vary between members. Think of a knife. A hundred different people will suggest a hundred or more different knives....:sailor:

Zack
01-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Everybody has different tastes. It you like it and it works for you then that's great! Myself, I wouldn't have one as I like my USMC ILBE pack that I bought off of E-Bay for a decent price.Equipment tastes vary between members. Think of a knife. A hundred different people will suggest a hundred or more different knives....:sailor:

That's true. But for what I need it to do, which may be similar to what other people need it to do, it's a great performer.

crashdive123
01-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Duluth makes great gear. Glad you like it.