PDA

View Full Version : Gear Used in Man V Wild

blewgrass
07-19-2007, 11:13 PM
We know that Bear has endorsed a knife he co-designed. (http://www.bayleyknife.com/)

My main questions are:

What kind of watch does he wear on the episodes? (I know there are more than one)

What is the chosen outerwear and clothing?

What brand of climbing shoes or hiking boots?

From what I gather, he uses different gear on every episode, but I'm curious about what works best in the bush. I see he uses the "light my fire" flint tool available at REI.

Am I missing the area that concentrates on gear other than the phoney baloney "buy survival gear" links on the discovery.com website.

Sarge47
07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
We know that Bear has endorsed a knife he co-designed. (http://www.bayleyknife.com/)

My main questions are:

What kind of watch does he wear on the episodes? (I know there are more than one)

What is the chosen outerwear and clothing?

What brand of climbing shoes or hiking boots?

From what I gather, he uses different gear on every episode, but I'm curious about what works best in the bush. I see he uses the "light my fire" flint tool available at REI.

Am I missing the area that concentrates on gear other than the phoney baloney "buy survival gear" links on the discovery.com website.

Yo, Tony UK, what does the price on that knife (350 lbs. before P&P) boil down to in American Dollars? (I'm almost afraid to ask) No thanks, Bear baby, don't want your name on my knife, I'll stick with the ones I got and plan on getting already.

blewgrass
07-20-2007, 12:51 AM
350 british pounds. That's $717.16 according to the Yahoo currency converter.

Talk about sticker shock? Maybe the watch is a Patek Phillipe trail watch? I knew the knife was gonna be expensive but geez...

That's even out of OPRAH's price range!

Sarge47
07-20-2007, 12:51 AM
I visited the REI site to check out the "Light My Fire" flint and happened across the "Light My Fire SL3" Knife which is a folding knife with a built in emergency whistle & a removable flint stick, all for around 37 bucks, not bad, I think I'm in love.

Sarge47
07-20-2007, 12:54 AM
350 british pounds. That's $717.16 according to the Yahoo currency converter.

Talk about sticker shock? Maybe the watch Patek Phillipe trail watch? I knew the knife was gonna be expensive but geez...

Well, if our job paid as good as his, but it's a safe bet he got his for free just for the endorsement,as well as a commission off of each one.

trax
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Most of those outdoor survival shows and those outdoor challenge sports events are sponsored by the companies that sell that gear, and they provide the paycheck for some dude to go frolicking around in the wilderness. If someone wants to pick up my tab, I'll go. I'll even design a knife and slap my name on it. Give you guys a better deal than 700 bucks too:D :D

LiL' bunny fufu
07-20-2007, 04:41 PM
what trax said

h

Rocky789
07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I actually work retail for a small (12 stores) outdoors equipment store, and we carry a lot of bear gryll's stuff long before he did, and ever since the show more people are buying that gear. But I do have the light my fire flint/steel unit and it is the best flint on the market, as far as his shoes he uses the Merrell Chameleon Stretch (and no bear grylls doesnt have any kind of a deal with merrell)which really is a pretty good choice for all of the stuff he does, but his water bottle looks a lot lke the Sigg bottles that we sell but I dont think it is because these units only hold 0.6 liters.
As far as knives just use what works, I dont need a big name on my knife to tell me it is a good knife.
The watch he uses he actually has a contract with the company, they specialize in making watches that can take a lot of abuse but still can be worn in formal situations, ive handled these watches and can say if I had a ton of money I would be tempted to buy one.
As far as jackets ive seen him wear some North Face gear (on the Alps epsiode of the first season) and I almost laughed thinking of the poor guy using that crummy gear (sorry North Face makes great products for people that dont really need to abuse their gear or have gear that needs to last for a really really long time, which is why it is so cheap), but in a lot of episodes ive seen him in an arcteryx alpha jacket, price is $250 USA but its honestly one of the best rain jackets on the market if it fits you, I have one and I love it (I work retail and can get rain jackets from about 8 different companies but I picked this one for all good reasons), he definately got smarter by switching from North Face to Arcteryx.
I havent been able to identify anything else he has worn but he probably got all of his stuff in Britain whereas im here in the USA looking at what we have.

LiL' bunny fufu
07-20-2007, 10:38 PM
whats it called

LiL' bunny fufu
07-20-2007, 10:54 PM
bear grills ,i think, is a fake

LiL' bunny fufu
07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
u no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 12:45 AM
As far as knives just use what works, I dont need a big name on my knife to tell me it is a good knife.

I hear that, I 've found great quality knives between $35 to $135. Anything beyond that is overkill.

blewgrass
07-21-2007, 02:26 AM
The watch he uses he actually has a contract with the company, they specialize in making watches that can take a lot of abuse but still can be worn in formal situations, ive handled these watches and can say if I had a ton of money I would be tempted to buy one.
whereas im here in the USA looking at what we have.

Do you have a brand and model on the watches?

Some of his look like a casio type dive watch and the other looks like a Tag Heuer or something...

Rocky789
07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
One of his watches (the one I was talking about) is the breitling emergency watch which has a nice bright yellow face on it and a really high price tag, but it basically serves as a emergency beacon which is really nice for those that fly planes or do a lot of parachuting (which I do a lot of both and it really is a tempting watch). Another watch he wears is made by bremont which Im not very familiar with.
And not to make this off topic but for those of you that are thinking bear grylls is a fake, well I think that he is really doing this with good intentions to show you some of the skills needed in those particular situations but its really the tv companies that are holding him back, he is a really great guy if you ever get the chance to meet him.

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 01:16 PM
One of his watches (the one I was talking about) is the breitling emergency watch which has a nice bright yellow face on it and a really high price tag, but it basically serves as a emergency beacon which is really nice for those that fly planes or do a lot of parachuting (which I do a lot of both and it really is a tempting watch). Another watch he wears is made by bremont which Im not very familiar with.
And not to make this off topic but for those of you that are thinking bear grylls is a fake, well I think that he is really doing this with good intentions to show you some of the skills needed in those particular situations but its really the tv companies that are holding him back, he is a really great guy if you ever get the chance to meet him.

I'm not saying he's a fake, just that he's doing things & going places I'll probably won't do or go! I'd like to see him, or any other survival person do a series on making & using survival kits.

Rocky789
07-21-2007, 05:41 PM
What exactly would you like to see? Most things seem pretty simple to me as far as what you need in a good survival kit, you are never going to be prepared for absolutely every situation but in my opinion as long as you are currently 98.6 degrees F and can stay that way you are doing pretty well.
This does seem like something they should do to really cover all the bases though.

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 06:19 PM
What exactly would you like to see? Most things seem pretty simple to me as far as what you need in a good survival kit, you are never going to be prepared for absolutely every situation but in my opinion as long as you are currently 98.6 degrees F and can stay that way you are doing pretty well.
This does seem like something they should do to really cover all the bases though.

I would like to see an expert take a group of "know-nothing nimrods", put them into a class where they learn all the survival basics, then put the nimrods into the survival situations, much like the U.S.M.C. did on Discovery's "Marine Corps Survival School" program.

FVR
07-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Sarge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I'm going to have to give you 20 for that!

Trae B.
07-21-2007, 09:50 PM
the best knife ive ever come across is the gerber folding knife and the leatherman they aint failed me yet

Rocky789
07-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Hmm.. Sarge that would honestly make some good television, I would honestly love to do it if someone paid for it all. Ive taught a couple classes on survival skills and can say surprisingly enough typically the younger the student the easier it is to teach them, much of it is just getting a new perspective on things and breaking down certain barriers that would normally keep people from sleeping under a shelter covered with leaves or eating something that they killed themselves. Would be great to have a show where they bring people out to a particular terrain and give them two days to train for the environment and then focus after that on how they cope for the rest of the week. Anyone care to get me a couple cameras and some "know-nothing nimrods" to work with?:)

man.vs.wild
07-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Yo, Tony UK, what does the price on that knife (350 lbs. before P&P) boil down to in American Dollars? (I'm almost afraid to ask) No thanks, Bear baby, don't want your name on my knife, I'll stick with the ones I got and plan on getting already.

1 british pound is like 2.02 something american dollars ( bassically a whole lotta money!!!!!!!)

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
1 british pound is like 2.02 something american dollars ( bassically a whole lotta money!!!!!!!)

You're right on the money, according to Blewgrass it comes to $717.16 BEFORE S. & H. from the UK!

blewgrass
07-22-2007, 02:10 AM
I think it's cheesy to have Bears name on a knife blade. Seven hundred bones is ridiculous. Equivelant steel and build can be achived for far less money. Plenty of well made knives made of 430 grade stainless for less than a hundred US dollars... even titanium.

tarheelfan
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Here is a link to an adventure equip. supplier that is partnered with Bear http://beargrylls.itchyfeet.com/index.php Bad thing is the store is based in London...although most of the equipment on the site is manufactured and sold in the US also. Btw, most of his clothing and footwear is North Face, Columbia, Merrel, and Marmot...all name-brand and rather expensive but good quality.

BAKWOODS
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
i have wanted to buy the bear grylls knife but its just too pricey for me.
so i got an old chainsaw bar and made my own.works pretty good too.
holds a nice edge ,and durable.

Sam
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I actually work retail for a small (12 stores) outdoors equipment store, and we carry a lot of bear gryll's stuff long before he did, and ever since the show more people are buying that gear. But I do have the light my fire flint/steel unit and it is the best flint on the market, as far as his shoes he uses the Merrell Chameleon Stretch (and no bear grylls doesnt have any kind of a deal with merrell)which really is a pretty good choice for all of the stuff he does, but his water bottle looks a lot lke the Sigg bottles that we sell but I dont think it is because these units only hold 0.6 liters.
As far as jackets ive seen him wear some North Face gear (on the Alps epsiode of the first season) and I almost laughed thinking of the poor guy using that crummy gear (sorry North Face makes great products for people that dont really need to abuse their gear or have gear that needs to last for a really really long time, which is why it is so cheap), but in a lot of episodes ive seen him in an arcteryx alpha jacket, price is $250 USA but its honestly one of the best rain jackets on the market if it fits you, I have one and I love it (I work retail and can get rain jackets from about 8 different companies but I picked this one for all good reasons), he definately got smarter by switching from North Face to Arcteryx.
I havent been able to identify anything else he has worn but he probably got all of his stuff in Britain whereas im here in the USA looking at what we have.

His water bottle is British army canteen with cup. They have a small cooker unit available, the whole thing is called the Crusader System I think.
-Sam

Sarge47
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
His water bottle is British army canteen with cup. They have a small cooker unit available, the whole thing is called the Crusader System I think.
-SamYes, but does it glow or something when getting close to a motel...we know that it will hold 1 litre of fresh urine.:innocent:

Ken
06-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, but does it glow or something when getting close to a motel...we know that it will hold 1 litre of fresh urine.:innocent:

I'll gladly refill Bear Grylls' army canteen for him..... :innocent:

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Disgusting/piss.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com) Bear Gryll's Canteen

Yakov
06-10-2009, 04:45 AM
For 717.00 I'd just buy a couple of tom brown knives...haha

jeff_c
06-14-2009, 12:31 AM
For the longest time Bear wore a Breitling Emergency. Now he wears a Bremont. Apparently a company started by a few of his friends. (more sponsorship). :)

Nice watches though!

Sarge47
06-14-2009, 12:32 AM
For the longest time Bear wore a Breitling Emergency. Now he wears a Bremont. Apparently a company started by a few of his friends. (more sponsorship). :)

Nice watches though!How about hiking over to the intro section & telling us a bit about yourself?:cool2:

Sarge47
06-14-2009, 12:45 AM
You'll find it here:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

:cool2: